Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://kfmradio.com/news/18082020-1528/%E2%82%AC45m-naas-inner-relief-road-lihaf-scheme-wont-proceed

Having been rejected last year looks like the inner relief road now won't go ahead at all.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

https://kfmradio.com/news/18082020-1528/%E2%82%AC45m-naas-inner-relief-road-lihaf-scheme-wont-proceed

Having been rejected last year looks like the inner relief road now won't go ahead at all.

Nimbyism wins again.
    The town screwed over by a hand full of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Obviously they forgot their own tagline

Getting Naas moving – An essential project to relieve congestion for the benefit of everyone. Enhancing the quality of life in Naas Town

and I will never understand why option 6 was not the preferred option. Option one was not really a relief road and would just lead to more congestion. Option 6 linked up with the ballycane road and would have allowed Kilcullen traffic avoid the town.

But they needed to "think of cyclists" in a tunnel visioned project.

Move the traffic away and it frees up the current roads for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Hi all,

Did anyone here happen to commute from Naas to Sandyford in pre Covid times? Just wondering about normal commute times as going for a job there. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

It could take up to an hour to get to Sandyford in the mornings, and more coming home. This all depends on the time of day you're moving at though. Leaving Naas at 7.30am won't see you in Sandyford much before 9.00am in the "old" pre-COVID days. Today you'll be there in 30 minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

silver2020 wrote: »
    Obviously they forgot their own tagline

Getting Naas moving – An essential project to relieve congestion for the benefit of everyone. Enhancing the quality of life in Naas Town

and I will never understand why option 6 was not the preferred option. Option one was not really a relief road and would just lead to more congestion. Option 6 linked up with the ballycane road and would have allowed Kilcullen traffic avoid the town.

But they needed to "think of cyclists" in a tunnel visioned project.

Move the traffic away and it frees up the current roads for cyclists.

That is the fallacy of road building. Imagining that everything will be solved with more roads. In the real world, another road does not free up roads for cyclists, instead it has the opposite effect of creating more traffic, making it worse for cyclists. Investing money in roads is a black pit as you toss more money at it all you really do is bring more cars onto the road - people think 'oh there's a ring road now, I'll get that job in the further away town, it'll be grand to drive down' . Remember you could have a huge ring road but when the majority of cars in the area want to get into the town you still have that bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Lockheed wrote: »
    That is the fallacy of road building. Imagining that everything will be solved with more roads. In the real world, another road does not free up roads for cyclists, instead it has the opposite effect of creating more traffic, making it worse for cyclists. Investing money in roads is a black pit as you toss more money at it all you really do is bring more cars onto the road - people think 'oh there's a ring road now, I'll get that job in the further away town, it'll be grand to drive down' . Remember you could have a huge ring road but when the majority of cars in the area want to get into the town you still have that bottleneck.

Very true.

In that instance, the relief road should have been built 25 years ago when it was supposed to have been, not today through largely residential areas. It wasn't nimbyism. It was common sense.

The council really messed up here (and I don't mean the elected councillors), and created the recent fuss themselves by trying to force a set of nonsensical solutions through before it "lost" the central funding. It was ridiculous behaviour.

If only the council would just stop approving / building new houses and concentrated instead on fixing the infrastructure we do have and providing the facilities we need now and into the future, we'd be much better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Anyone gone with SIRO BB locally and how is it working out for you ?

MotorMike wrote: »
    Anyone gone with SIRO BB locally and how is it working out for you ?

I've SIRO from Vodafone. It's grand but I generally only get around 400 meg down wirelessly. It's been down one or twice in the year I've had it and their customer service is pretty bad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Hi all,

Did anyone here happen to commute from Naas to Sandyford in pre Covid times? Just wondering about normal commute times as going for a job there. Cheers

I did it for two years up to about a year ago. My only description of it is "living hell". So much so in fact my employer told me not to worry about getting there before 10am for fear I would quit as one day I left Naas at 7am and arrived just before ten am. In two years I was rear ended twice writing off one car due to the nature of the N7 around Rathcoole where in the early morning low sun the traffic can go from sixty to a dead stop very quickly. I was in Central Park so didn't have to get into Sandyford itself and could use the 3rd land of the slip and central park entrance else I would have had to queue on the M50 Slip itself and then to get into Sandyford or come off at Dundrum and try come across.

I turned down a roll with a large raise in Sandyford itself as it would mean an extra 20 mins each way a day. A friend took to going via Blessington and over the hills to try and avoid the N7. Just hell on earth in every way unless you can leave before 7 or well after 9 and leave early to get home before the traffic hits. On a good day you would fly in. On a bad on it could be 2.5 hours. It was never predicable. Swiched to a role in the City Centre and took the Sallins train. Loved it and still do. An hour door to door between the regular commuter sevice (30mins) and a ten minute bike each end. These days I won't consider any job bar a City Centre one. It's given me hours of my life back a week. The commute is ultra predictable and you can make use of the time on the train. I can stop for a pint after work or take Galway train which takes 16 minutes from Hueston to Naas.

Naas is basically uncomutable unless you can leave early to beat the traffic or get a job that can be reached via the train (City Centre). Even the 126 Bus Service tool an hour and half to the City as it would get stuck on the south circular. So my day was basically gone from 7am to 7pm when taken the bus. The train (Slower commuter) made that an 8am to 6pm day or less if I got the earlier train home. 20 mins off each way for the Galway server.

My advise. Don't do it unless you love your car and no quality of life.

• Advertisement

I think going forward the N7 will never be as bad as its been for the last 3 years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Hi all,

As the other replies have said it’s a tough enough gig. I do pretty much that route and I leave around 6.30am. That would have me in the Sandyford area for around 7.20am. But leaving earlier or later than 6.30 has a big affect. If I left at 6.40 it would probably be 7.40 when I arrived. But as previously said it can be very unpredictable. If there is a crash you’re completely shagged. The odd time I’d have a later start I used to leave at 7.40am. This was a disaster and would always take at least an hour and a half. Though I like my job, I will be changing in the next year. I think it’s doable for a few years but hard to keep doing it in the long run.

Lockheed wrote: »

I'd agree and disagree. It would need to be done as an overall project and provide better cycle/pedestrian facilities on the route that should have less traffic.

So in the Naas situation it should have been route 6 to take away all blessington road & kilcullen traffic and then reconfigure the current route to make it less car friendly and more cycle / pedestrian friendly.

What will happen soon when jct 9a opens is the Kilcullen traffic will take this route and this will cause excessive traffic in the jigginstown area. Those houses facing onto the road (poor layout design imo) will suffer even more road noise.

But the haphazard planning in Naas is doing no-one any favours. A fully integrated traffic, road, cycle, pedestrian, parking & public transport plan is needed. But that would take some intelligence and forward thinking which does not seem to be there at present.

Considering Naas is a relatively small town and has great potential, it should not be that difficult for a proper joined up plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

Anatom wrote: »
    Very true.

In that instance, the relief road should have been built 25 years ago when it was supposed to have been, not today through largely residential areas. It wasn't nimbyism. It was common sense.

The council really messed up here (and I don't mean the elected councillors), and created the recent fuss themselves by trying to force a set of nonsensical solutions through before it "lost" the central funding. It was ridiculous behaviour.

If only the council would just stop approving / building new houses and concentrated instead on fixing the infrastructure we do have and providing the facilities we need now and into the future, we'd be much better off.

To me the big problem here was the approch taken by the council management. From the initial information evening, it was very clear that they were only really considering route 1/2, given the had zero information about the other routes.

People were "poking" holes in the plan, and instead of trying to fix the problems, they tried to "double down" telling councillors that if they didn't support route 1/2 there was no plan B, and that the town would have to wait a long time before they looked at this again.

They wanted to put the plan before the previous council, at the meeting just before the election, but once they saw that they didn't have the numbers they started playing games, trying to push the vote to the fully council, away for the local councilors and then when that failed, to the newly elected council. The new council finally voted it down, dispite efforts to try and send in the the full council once again.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this road, when we finally get the long overdue local area plan. The draft Naas/Sallins Transport Strategy which feeds into the local area plan referred to a "Gallops Avenue" which appears to be a new name for route 1 of the inner relief road, which is classed as a medium term goal of the strategy, so its not dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I did it for two years up to about a year ago. My only description of it is "living hell". So much so in fact my employer told me not to worry about getting there before 10am for fear I would quit as one day I left Naas at 7am and arrived just before ten am. In two years I was rear ended twice writing off one car due to the nature of the N7 around Rathcoole where in the early morning low sun the traffic can go from sixty to a dead stop very quickly. I was in Central Park so didn't have to get into Sandyford itself and could use the 3rd land of the slip and central park entrance else I would have had to queue on the M50 Slip itself and then to get into Sandyford or come off at Dundrum and try come across.

I turned down a roll with a large raise in Sandyford itself as it would mean an extra 20 mins each way a day. A friend took to going via Blessington and over the hills to try and avoid the N7. Just hell on earth in every way unless you can leave before 7 or well after 9 and leave early to get home before the traffic hits. On a good day you would fly in. On a bad on it could be 2.5 hours. It was never predicable. Swiched to a role in the City Centre and took the Sallins train. Loved it and still do. An hour door to door between the regular commuter sevice (30mins) and a ten minute bike each end. These days I won't consider any job bar a City Centre one. It's given me hours of my life back a week. The commute is ultra predictable and you can make use of the time on the train. I can stop for a pint after work or take Galway train which takes 16 minutes from Hueston to Naas.

Naas is basically uncomutable unless you can leave early to beat the traffic or get a job that can be reached via the train (City Centre). Even the 126 Bus Service tool an hour and half to the City as it would get stuck on the south circular. So my day was basically gone from 7am to 7pm when taken the bus. The train (Slower commuter) made that an 8am to 6pm day or less if I got the earlier train home. 20 mins off each way for the Galway server.

My advise. Don't do it unless you love your car and no quality of life.

i agree it was hell. and you needed to be on the n7 BEFORE 6.15 am to beat the traffic. and if you get into the office at 7am you are so tired that you arent productive anyway.

like the post im quoting, if you leave naas at 9.15am you have beaten the traffic but when you get into offiice at 10am, everyone has already gotten into their work, its all guns blazing, and you will have emails to respond and even though you can work till 7pm to make up the hours it doesnt look good coming into an office at 10am. if bosses spotted anything at 9am, they are getting angry and impatient waiting for you to come in at 10am.

having said that, the amount of people who did this commute and are now saying that they plan to work from home more often, id say it will be alot easier going forward.

So im guessing it will be about 50min each way, which isnt the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The thing I found when doing various start and end times is that 10-6 relieves you of inbound traffic but the way home is usually as bad.

Traveler's had disappeared off the ring road recently but they're either back or a new shower of them moved in. English regs on the cars so could be over from the UK.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Traveler's had disappeared off the ring road recently but they're either back or a new shower of them moved in. English regs on the cars so could be over from the UK.

saw them move in at about 11 and garda car went by without a care in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there any news on when the sallins bypass is due to be completed? Can't find any recent updates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Is there any news on when the sallins bypass is due to be completed? Can't find any recent updates on it.

Due to be finished by end of October according to their website.

http://www.m7upgrade.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Due to be finished by end of October according to their website.

http://www.m7upgrade.com

Do they say what year?! Its been shocking slow progress

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Do they say what year?! Its been shocking slow progress

You see, this is how they got us all. "we'll be finished by 2020" but they never said when in 2020, so opening the road 2 weeks before christmas is still within their predictions. Of course with the pandemic, and kildare on its month long lockdown and none of the lads being local, there's no chance of it being finished before this time next year, minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

You see, this is how they got us all. "we'll be finished by 2020" but they never said when in 2020, so opening the road 2 weeks before christmas is still within their predictions. Of course with the pandemic, and kildare on its month long lockdown and none of the lads being local, there's no chance of it being finished before this time next year, minimum.

They could have worked through the pandemic as the road is a critical piece of infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Cazale wrote: »
    They could have worked through the pandemic as the road is a critical piece of infrastructure.

If it was in and they were resurfacing it, absolutely, but the people of sallins have put up with no bypass for years now so its not too critical.

silver2020 wrote: »
    saw them move in at about 11 and garda car went by without a care in the world

Can't say I'm surprised.

Community policing in Ireland is non existant.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Can't say I'm surprised.

Community policing in Ireland is non existant.

Selective Policing is existent.

Park your own car on a public walkway and leave it there and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Park your own car on a public walkway and leave it there and see what happens.

If there's space for someone to squeeze past and its not on a normal traffic warden route, bugger all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

Would anyone be ablr to recommend a household appliance guru? Am having trouble with an american fridge. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adgib

Anyone know when the road closure on the Limerick rd is due to finish?

• Advertisement

adgib wrote: »
    Anyone know when the road closure on the Limerick rd is due to finish?

November.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement