Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

How fires are still allowed is beyond me.

The peasants need to heat their hovels somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

The peasants need to heat their hovels somehow.

naas isnt that poor. they are more into their scandanavian hygge than saving money.

L1011 wrote: »
    Naas has been a smokeless coal zone since 2000; but Green Party idiocy in their last term in Government encouraged use of stinking smoking wood burners all over which are a major contributor.

Add that to them incentivising diesels and they've basically been killing asthmatics.

let me know if im being overly dramatic. but seems to me something is wrong when you go outside your house and are overwhelmed with smoke. seems to be in most areas of naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

naas isnt that poor. they are more into their scandanavian hygge than saving money.

Exactly. Naas keeps the county going.

L1011 wrote: »
    Naas has been a smokeless coal zone since 2000; but Green Party idiocy in their last term in Government encouraged use of stinking smoking wood burners all over which are a major contributor.

Add that to them incentivising diesels and they've basically been killing asthmatics.

ive heard that diesel motor vehicles are not that bad anymore. they have filters and restrictions on pollution they can admit.

no filters for wood burning. arsenic etc comes straight out.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Exactly. Naas keeps the county going.

not sure if you are being ironic. many of the houses with smoke coming out chimneys have expensive audis and bmws in the driveways. i dont think they are burning wood because they cant afford the central heating.

Apologies for venting (no pun) my own problems on this forum. i will let submit my complaints through the normal channels. i suppose i was hoping some readers seeing this may think about consequences of lighting the fire.

tks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I noticed a real smell of smoke in Monread area recently too. Very strong and not very enjoyable on an evening walk. Possibly still some people using smoky coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ive heard that diesel motor vehicles are not that bad anymore. they have filters and restrictions on pollution they can admit.

The filter cleans itself by periodically burning it all off, its a placebo at best

The restrictions have been widely bypassed meaning that cars that were allegedly clean, were not.

Barely anyone except sales reps drove them before the Greens decided we should all drive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Arsenic? Not unless you're talking about treated wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People burn all sorts of crap wood in wood burners; its not all nicely seasoned sustainably sourced stuff. "Recycled" wood from building sites with all sorts of treatments and chemicals gets split up and sold; improperly dried wood is sold and burns disgustingly smoky.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You'd see alot of kindling made out of pallets, on Donedeal. Treated wood isn't meant for household fires. And as for smokey coal, is that not near on impossible to get now?

I've the fire lit the last week, lovely and toasty in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

We have kerosene but we prefer the solid fuel using smokeless coal and air dried logs, yes it is smoky at the fire up stage but settles down, I get that people may not like it and indeed it requires a lot more maintenance than simply pushing a button but the heat is natural, the air is less drier than the radiators heating on their own and we ain't giving it up anytime soon.

People do burn inappropriate things in their fireplace I guess but it has greatly improved from a few years ago when we were mostly burning smoky coal.

We have an eight bag bunker which we fill once empty, my coalman tells me we are one of his bigger deliveries as they still have regulars that get one bag a week, coal was always the fuel of the poor and still is but its also a lifestyle decision despite the additional hassle of operation.

Naas does not have a 'town' problem as such with this, perhaps in pockets but surely nothing to get excited about in these difficult times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

beertons wrote: »
    as for smokey coal, is that not near on impossible to get now?

it is but not 100% impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Sure what else am I supposed to do with all the pallets that my coal is delivered on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

I see planning going in for Naas shopping centre with an ambitious opening date for Christmas 2022 and kerdiffstown landfill getting redeveloped to a park, all weather pitches, playground and walking paths in the next 4 years.

This town might be getting it's **** together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

gar wrote: »
    I see planning going in for Naas shopping centre with an ambitious opening date for Christmas 2022 and kerdiffstown landfill getting redeveloped to a park, all weather pitches, playground and walking paths in the next 4 years.

Work starting on Naas SC immediately as planning not needed for a lot of the immediate work. (cleaning up, rubble removal, carpark, external finishes etc)

Seems there will be about 22 shops, so very much a local shopping centre so won't be competing against whitewater or attracting more traffic.

A lot of medical use / training use in the planning which is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Darc19 wrote: »
    Work starting on Naas SC immediately as planning not needed for a lot of the immediate work. (cleaning up, rubble removal, carpark, external finishes etc)

Seems there will be about 22 shops, so very much a local shopping centre so won't be competing against whitewater or attracting more traffic.

A lot of medical use / training use in the planning which is good

Plus 900 badly needed car park spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

gar wrote: »
    Indeed, nice to see the secondary school on the ring road progressing too. Now we just need to fix the transport deficit as there is no point in having all these facilities if you have to sit in traffic for an hour. Just a few local and intra-local bus routes integrated into the single fare system and to be included in the DART expansion programme, and then we’ll be on par with the rest of the commuter belt. I mean how is anyone expected to get to the Naas shopping centre from Kill, Monread, Sallins or even Blessington without driving? Look at Bray with their 7 or 8 Dublin Bus routes, you can get anywhere you like for so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tomrota wrote: »
    Indeed, nice to see the secondary school on the ring road progressing too. Now we just need to fix the transport deficit as there is no point in having all these facilities if you have to sit in traffic for an hour. Just a few local and intra-local bus routes integrated into the single fare system and to be included in the DART expansion programme, and then we’ll be on par with the rest of the commuter belt. I mean how is anyone expected to get to the Naas shopping centre from Kill, Monread, Sallins or even Blessington without driving? Look at Bray with their 7 or 8 Dublin Bus routes, you can get anywhere you like for so cheap.

Agree 100%. Dublin Bus or Go Ahead really need to step in here now. Integrate Naas/Monread/Sallins/Johnstown/Kill into the network with Celbridge, Leixlip and Maynooth.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Dublin Bus or Go Ahead really need to step in here now. Integrate Naas/Monread/Sallins/Johnstown/Kill into the network with Celbridge, Leixlip and Maynooth.
    It’s the NTA that make these decisions, not Dublin Bus or Go Ahead. And the NTA seem to have something against providing PUBLIC transport (not private like JJ kavanagh) to the area. Not including Naas/Sallins in DART (28km from Dublin) but including Drogheda (54km from Dublin) really highlights this. The fact that Ballymore Eustace, Greystones, Kilcoole, Balbriggan, Mynooth, and Ballyknockan are all better served with Dublin Bus than Naas is a shocking disgrace. They’re all smaller than Naas and similar distance from the city or further.

SNIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Just back from a visit to Newhall retail park. Guards seemingly taking action against the remaining caravan at the entrance to the retail park. Squad car with blue flashing lights.

Then, on my way back, I noticed there are two or three new caravans now on the roundabout along the John Devoy link road.

Remove one, and two new appear...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah the travellers are now gone from the ring road and stoppers have been put in place. Hopefully that's the last we see of them. Loads of waste and rubbish left behind as usual.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah the travellers are now gone from the ring road and stoppers have been put in place. Hopefully that's the last we see of them. Loads of waste and rubbish left behind as usual.
    It’s a disgrace. Imagine if I decided to pitch a tent in the middle of a publicly funded cycle track. I would be arrested within 24 hours.

Tomrota wrote: »
    It’s a disgrace. Imagine if I decided to pitch a tent in the middle of a publicly funded cycle track. I would be arrested within 24 hours.

no you wouldnt be arrested. its not a disgrace. your racism is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Same happened in Celbridge... moved a few times and council always too slow to block off the cycle path. The final time they got moved... a JCB arrived 10 minutes later and put in a load of temporary concrete bollards

It’s racist to not want taxpayer funded cycle tracks blocked? How about the N7?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It's not racism to describe the dirt left behind after them as a disgrace.

You need to fine-tune your outrago-meter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Are Travellers a race?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Derogatory terms for travellers or any other group of people for that natter are not permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ncoen

Off the current topic of this thread, but can you anyone recommend a good montessori to send our 2 yr old (will be 3yrs by Sept '21)? We will be living in Monread triangle and we know of Mill Lane and Tir na Nog so far.

Thanks

Advertisement