Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Why do we need a main road up the main street at this stage besides dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

What's public transport got to do with it?

If you’re taking away all the parking spaces, maybe it should be easier to get to the town from Monread, from Jigginstown, from Ballycane, from Johnstown, from Kill, from Sallins, from Carragh etc. Currently this infrastructure doesn’t exist so people have to drive into the town or to shop in Monread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tomrota wrote: »
    If you’re taking away all the parking spaces, maybe it should be easier to get to the town from Monread, from Jigginstown, from Ballycane, from Johnstown, from Kill, from Sallins, from Carragh etc. Currently this infrastructure doesn’t exist so people have to drive into the town or to shop in Monread.

I never said get rid of car parks, just said stop cars parking on main street.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

I never said get rid of car parks, just said stop cars parking on main street.

This is a good idea, maybe keep a couple of the differently abled spots but there's actually much more parking around Naas than you'd realise.

It's actually pretty exciting what they're doing with Poplar Square, be class if another pub/restaurant went in there where Spar used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Why do we need a main road up the main street at this stage besides dunnes?

Unfortunately it’s still the quickest route for much through traffic. There is no reason why tractors and hgv vehicles go through Main Street today, yet the still do. Naas would be a much nicer place to shop / eat if Main Street wasn’t so busy and noisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s still the quickest route for much through traffic. There is no reason why tractors and hgv vehicles go through Main Street today, yet the still do. Naas would be a much nicer place to shop / eat if Main Street wasn’t so busy and noisy.

they should purposely slow down main street and force cars to use the ring road by millenium park, or coming from naas ball, another road. but thats political dynamite when they suggested another ring road.

all the clothes shops in naas town want cars coming through. but naas town is being replaced by cafes. so hoping they will get together and suggest wider footpaths, possibly a one way system, or even pedestrianisation.

imagine how nice the main street would be if it was pedstranised. a few towns in ireland have gone this route and its a joy.

as it stands main street is awful. so much traffic that cars have to be agressive. the amount of times ive seen cars go through red lights to get ahead. accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Pedestrianising the main street would do nothing substantial to help the town. Creating more space like they're doing with Poplar Square will be great, but I want to be able to drive from the Sallins Road to the hospital thanks, without having to trail all the way around the ring road.

There is also the point that there's absolutely nothing to do with all of the space you'd create by shutting out traffic completely. We absolutely don't need any more coffee shops, and if you suggested putting in another restaurant, the ones that are there already would laugh at you. There simply isn't enough business coming through the town. We need the sort of retail that used to bring visitors into the town - fashion etc. They left or closed up for a variety of reasons, and the price and availability of parking was one of them. The town centre being redeveloped and the car park it will bring will certainly help this, but taking traffic out and taking parking off the street won't help the businesses in the town. You need to make it easier for people to stop and give you their money, not harder.

By the way, if you think the traffic is bad now, you should have seen it years ago before the by-pass went around. Yes, I do agree that, at peak times, it can be quite slow, but that's the same everywhere you have commuters and schools. You'll also always have idiots breaking the lights and there should be cameras there to catch and prosecute them (I often think people need to be sent back to driving school with some of the behaviour you see on the roads!). The odd tractor and truck (usually only coming down the town because they actually have business there or because there's no other option) is something I think we can deal with.

Anatom wrote: »
    Pedestrianising the main street would do nothing substantial to help the town. Creating more space like they're doing with Poplar Square will be great, but I want to be able to drive from the Sallins Road to the hospital thanks, without having to trail all the way around the ring road.

There is also the point that there's absolutely nothing to do with all of the space you'd create by shutting out traffic completely. We absolutely don't need any more coffee shops, and if you suggested putting in another restaurant, the ones that are there already would laugh at you. There simply isn't enough business coming through the town. We need the sort of retail that used to bring visitors into the town - fashion etc. They left or closed up for a variety of reasons, and the price and availability of parking was one of them. The town centre being redeveloped and the car park it will bring will certainly help this, but taking traffic out and taking parking off the street won't help the businesses in the town. You need to make it easier for people to stop and give you their money, not harder.

By the way, if you think the traffic is bad now, you should have seen it years ago before the by-pass went around. Yes, I do agree that, at peak times, it can be quite slow, but that's the same everywhere you have commuters and schools. You'll also always have idiots breaking the lights and there should be cameras there to catch and prosecute them (I often think people need to be sent back to driving school with some of the behaviour you see on the roads!). The odd tractor and truck (usually only coming down the town because they actually have business there or because there's no other option) is something I think we can deal with.

If I was town planer if you were coming from sallins I'd force traffic to ball, down Dublin Road, left tesco metro and that way to hospital. Keep cars off mainstreet, esp ones commuting through it.

I'd eat out and go into centre if more pedestrianised and thus they would need more restaurants and cafes.

Just because it was worse before doesn't mean we can't make it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

In the town of Mechelen, Belgium they banned cars going through the town centre (except buses) there is a ring road in place so if you want to go somewhere you drive around the town not through it. If you want to go to the town to Shop/Eat/Business there are numerous approach roads from the ring to the centre where car parks are provided.

For me the steps needed for naas are
    1. ban HGV traffic from shortcutting through the town
    2. create wider footpaths and public spaces
    3. Eventually stop traffic from Dunnes to newbridge road junction.

It is a myth that Naas does not have enough parking, the problem is people don't want to walk because its not a nice experience especially with a family in tow, because of the noise of the traffic.

People like pedestrianised streets, think Grafton, Henry street and numerous high streets across the UK without cars

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Wexford town is another great example of where they pedestrianised the main street. It makes for a lovely shopping experience particularly around the Christmas period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

McBluffin wrote: »
    Wexford town is another great example of where they pedestrianised the main street. It makes for a lovely shopping experience particularly around the Christmas period.

ya I was pleasantly surprised how relaxed it was walking around there last year

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

eusap wrote: »

For me the steps needed for naas are
    1. ban HGV traffic from shortcutting through the town
    2. create wider footpaths and public spaces
    3. Eventually stop traffic from Dunnes to newbridge road junction.

I suggested the same ban for Sallins Village once on a FB post about the Sallins Bypass and you would not believe the abuse I got (a little on the thread, but mostly via PM) from lorry drivers. I was called every name under the sun. I was absolutely stunned at the viciousness of it. I'm a woman - not that it should matter - and I was called names I've never been called in my life by people not much older than my own son. So be careful where you throw that opinion...it's very contentious it seems! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I suggested the same ban for Sallins Village once on a FB post about the Sallins Bypass and you would not believe the abuse I got (a little on the thread, but mostly via PM) from lorry drivers. I was called every name under the sun. I was absolutely stunned at the viciousness of it. I'm a woman - not that it should matter - and I was called names I've never been called in my life by people not much older than my own son. So be careful where you throw that opinion...it's very contentious it seems! :)

Was very surprised to hear there will still be no hgv ban when the sallins bypass is completed. It’s impossible to have a conversation walking down the Main Street of sallins due to the level of heavy traffic.

Abuse in any form is just not acceptable.

The opposition to the HGV ban in Sallins was mostly down to the fact that it was felt that, once the Sallins by-pass was open, trucks wouldn't be coming through the village anyway. I actually think that that is what will happen. They won't want to sit through four sets of traffic lights in the village and, given that most of them will probably be heading onto the M7 in any case, the by-pass will be ideal. The only trucks you'd see then should be ones with actual business in the village - delivering to the pubs, to Lidl or to SuperValu for example. In any case, there will be a new development plan for Sallins in the next few years which will hopefully see it really improve. The Greenway will help too.

Its the same for Naas really. The overwhelming majority of HGV traffic already uses the Naas by-pass. I really don't agree with taking the traffic off the main street. The paths are wide enough already, and Poplar Square should look great. Lets see how that goes first. Maybe, if things pick up with the Town Centre opening, we will see a greater footfall of people wandering around the place looking for somewhere to eat and drink, but they're just not there at the moment (this is a really, really bad year to be looking for inspiration from though!).

Wexford pedestrianised part of one street, not the whole town centre, and has a completely different layout to Naas. It does work well, and you can still drive (and park) along the quays!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 STCN

If I was town planer if you were coming from sallins I'd force traffic to ball, down Dublin Road, left tesco metro and that way to hospital. Keep cars off mainstreet, esp ones commuting through it.

I'd eat out and go into centre if more pedestrianised and thus they would need more restaurants and cafes.

Just because it was worse before doesn't mean we can't make it better.

The Blessington road could not cope with that volume of traffic and would be just moving the problem to another location, and one that is very residential.It’s also a school run and increasing traffic would also make the route more hazardous for cyclists/walkers . Hopefully there will be another opportunity to build an appropriate road that connects to the ring road.

anyone any idea what this will entail.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/587513/just-under-3-million-allocated-for-kildare-grand-canal-greenway-project.html

are they throwing down some concrete on the bank beside the canal? Alot of money for a few recreational cyclists. do they hope people will commute by bike to dublin from naas via this greenway every day?

last time i heard the canal come up in conversation was a couple of years ago when two women got attacked not far from sallins on the canal.

I'm still flabbergasted as to where all this money is coming from, people out of work businesses closing by the day and they're throwing money on a footpath that imo could wait and spend the money for better causes

Its worse when you see a local TD splashing it up all over their FB page saying they campaigned for it blah blah blah

Put the money to proper use and give it where its needed and help with the homeless

the sooner I'm out of this country the better, its a complete joke

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'm still flabbergasted as to where all this money is coming from, people out of work businesses closing by the day and they're throwing money on a footpath that imo could wait and spend the money for better causes

Its worse when you see a local TD splashing it up all over their FB page saying they campaigned for it blah blah blah

Put the money to proper use and give it where its needed and help with the homeless

the sooner I'm out of this country the better, its a complete joke

i think government spending will actually help the expected recession. it will create jobs etc. the opposite of not spending is austerity. And i think all the economic think-tanks said that austerity doesnt work. better to get the money flowing.

i would love for there to be a cyclepath along the canal. Id use it. just wondering if it is literally just some concrete and if it will be used

Lex Luthor wrote: »

That old chestnut, the homeless situation doesn't need more money thrown at it, what with HAP etc there's fnck loads of resources being spent on housing people. What needs to be done is ensuring the resources are channelled to those who need them rather than wasters with the hand out for the forever home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Reading news ther the Shopping Mall has been sold with an anchor tenant.

• Advertisement

That was great news about the greenway. It will bring much-needed traffic into the village - supporting, and indeed creating jobs!

It is never a waste of money to see it spent on things like that.

I'm happy to see the arcade doing well too!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

pad199207 wrote: »
    Reading news ther the Shopping Mall has been sold with an anchor tenant.

Who is left to be an anchor tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

beertons wrote: »
    Who is left to be an anchor tenant?

Costa :-)

last time i heard the canal come up in conversation was a couple of years ago when two women got attacked not far from sallins on the canal.

Iv been walking the canal for over 10 years and have never been attacked.

Iv been walking the canal for over 10 years and have never been attacked.

ive walked streets of new york city at night and never been attacked. therefore there is zero crime in new york.

ive walked streets of new york city at night and never been attacked. therefore there is zero crime in new york.

So what’s the stats on attacks along the canal in sallins and why should it deter from the greenway being developed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Ah come on. Have you been anywhere near the canal since March. Its probably the best amenity Naas has, lovely place to go for a walk, and its popularity has increased massively since Covid. Ok so two women were attacked there, and that's a terrible thing to happen but using that logic a pedestrian was hit by a car last week so we shouldn't invest in roads anymore :confused:

I think this is a great development and hopefully it gets built soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Ah come on. Have you been anywhere near the canal since March. Its probably the best amenity Naas has, lovely place to go for a walk, and its popularity has increased massively since Covid. Ok so two women were attacked there, and that's a terrible thing to happen but using that logic a pedestrian was hit by a car last week so we shouldn't invest in roads anymore :confused:

I think this is a great development and hopefully it gets built soon

It really is a great and under utilised asset. The reduction of cars on the naas part on Sundays has seen a big increase in families out walking. I hope they extend it to residents only 7 days a week

Anatom wrote: »
    That was great news about the greenway. It will bring much-needed traffic into the village - supporting, and indeed creating jobs!

well lets just hope there are enough businesses left standing after all these lockdowns forcing them to close their doors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Outpatient services and non-emergency surgeries suspended at Naas hospital over Covid outbreak

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1111/1177446-naas-hospital/

Advertisement