Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Anyone know where I could get a lamp fixed locally? It’s an old porcelain lamp that snapped where the metal bulb holder joins the porcelain body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Eleanor Swan is a ceramics artist working out of Russborough House, she may be able to help or tell you who could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Any news on the anchor store for Naas Shopping Center?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is Poplar Square staying as is?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yup. There was a lot about it on social media yesterday. It switched hands over to the Roche group yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yup. There was a lot about it on social media yesterday. It switched hands over to the Roche group yesterday.

anyone know where is located ?( new to Naas)

you2008 wrote: »
    anyone know where is located ?( new to Naas)

Basically behind Bank Of Ireland and across the street from Naas CBS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

Basically behind Bank Of Ireland and across the street from Naas CBS :)

ah....... no, another parking nightmare like Dunnes:eek: - what about the land at Tesco ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

ah....... no, another parking nightmare like Dunnes:eek: - what about the land at Tesco ?

What do you mean? There's already a shopping centre there?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

No you enter from the cbs side, if anything it’ll improve traffic and people won’t go through mainstreet to get to the best located car park in the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

It’s already there. I think it’s very discreet actually for such a huge building. I’m not surprised you haven’t noticed it. Will be fantastic when it’s opened. We definitely do not need anything else built out at Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i couldnt think of anything worse than a new shopping centre off the main street. traffic is bad enough. Dunnes has made it worse. amount of near crashes people pulling in and out of the dunnes car park.

And its going to cause congestion with CBS across the road. school kids get the exercise walking into the town to get their lunch helping local traders. now for their lunch they will go to some fast food place like there regularly are in shopping centres. will the way to access it be via that sharp turn at Ballycane church. ill be objecting to this anyway.

I think an expansion at the monread shopping centre would have been a much better option. lots of parking there and not getting in the way of any schools.

Maybe Roche will decide to tear down the shopping centre and turn it into a town park.

What will the anchor store be?
    .............school kids get the exercise walking into the town to get their lunch helping local traders. now for their lunch they will go to some fast food place like there regularly are in shopping centres. ..............

You'll have kids wandering into town for the sake of it anyway.

Augeo wrote: »
    What will the anchor store be?

You'll have kids wandering into town for the sake of it anyway.

I’ve a feeling it may be a larger SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Reading over the previous few pages makes for depressing reading if ye were to pay attention to some people.

Btw, may have been missed but there are 750 parking spaces coming with the new shopping center. Roache Group say they are in negotiations with multiple potential anchor tenants. Also the shopping center is being partially repurposed as accomodation for the elderly, medical services, education and retail. A great mix that will actually bring people back living in the town centre and put life back into Naas main st.

Also, as a taxpayer I'm delighted to see amenities been built for my family, like the canal Greenway.

With the canal greenway, the DeBurg recreational area, the shopping center, the development of the harbour area, poplar Square and other projects in pipeline, Naas has a great future ahead of it. I love that it's a town that I can go for a walk in and actually say hello to people that I pass. Amenities that bring people outside to interact with each other will keep this alive, hopefully

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Also the shopping center is being partially repurposed as accomodation for the elderly, medical services, education and retail.

Sounds like it failed before its started then.

Why can the shopping center not be 100% retail?

If its the true what you are saying you might as well fill it up with Mobile phone repair shops, Charity Shops and Costa coffees.

People will continue to go to Newbridge Whitewater shopping center which is actually a "Shopping Center"

If its the true what you are saying you might as well fill it up with Mobile phone repair shops, Charity Shops and Costa coffees.

People will continue to go to Newbridge Whitewater shopping center which is actually a "Shopping Center"

100% agree it should be totally retail. That’s what a shopping mall is for.

Never go to whitewater. That’s slowly on it’s way out. Always went to Liffey Valley much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

The original plan was to have 44 shop units, and that plan failed, because they couldn't convince retailers to sign up to rent the units.

Most major retail chains will be very slow to sign up to new units in the next year or two, so they only way they would fill 44 units would be with moble phone repair shops, charity shop and of course costa coffees. The reallity is that the only way this can make this work financially is to slim down the retail element.

I will be very intered to see who they sign up as the anchor tenant, they talk about a supermaket, but I can't see Tesco or Dunnes signing up. With Brexit, I can't see a UK supermaket signing up in the short term. So it will be a very short list of potential tenants.

Hopeful they can get it right and the centre will open this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Outpatient services and non-emergency surgeries suspended at Naas hospital over Covid outbreak

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1111/1177446-naas-hospital/

they're spending a fortune diverting people to clane hospital, which is nice for the patient!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Never go to whitewater. That’s slowly on it’s way out. Always went to Liffey Valley much better.

I think this is very shortsigned.

Retail is moving more and more online (I don't like it but it seems inevitable) especially with the likes of Amazon opening a distribution center in the republic. (Premises being securied currently)

I think, the future for Naas is as a recreation based town. Bars, Cafe, Resturant and services will provide a better longevity. I have seen many of the UK highstreets and they are ghosttowns after dark. Now they are also failing during the day. I hope Naas continues to thrive as a cafe, pub and resturant town, with people living close to the town center so they can walk in, or cycle ,making use of the town center day and night.

Also, having the greenway will attract people to take day trips out from Dublin to eat and enjoy themseelves here. This could prove a great tourist oppertunity for our town.

Just my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Roache Group say they are in negotiations with multiple potential anchor tenants. Also the shopping center is being partially repurposed as accomodation for the elderly, medical services, education and retail. A great mix that will actually bring people back living in the town centre and put life back into Naas main st.

Anchor will most likely be Super Valu - current store is miniscule.

Should be a hive of activity with the mix proposed and its the way "shopping centres" are evolving. Some of the centers in Asia esp Malaysia and South Korea have everything from petting zoos, education, recreation, medical and then "showroom" retail with just a small number of standard shops - and this has been happening over the past few years

Mirroring a Failed Main Street into a "Shopping Center"

678026c59114500b9c8ab0a7e2b93e2d.jpeg

silver2020 wrote: »
    Anchor will most likely be Super Valu - current store is miniscule.

Should be a hive of activity with the mix proposed and its the way "shopping centres" are evolving. Some of the centers in Asia esp Malaysia and South Korea have everything from petting zoos, education, recreation, medical and then "showroom" retail with just a small number of standard shops - and this has been happening over the past few years

A Supervalu move would make sense, Supervalue is Naas is however an independent franchise (Rushe's) not musgrave group. So this could come down to the individual franchise, and their appetite to invest in their business, and the supports available for the banks/developer/musgrave.

We have also seen a number of Irish shopping centres reconfiguring the mix, Whitework and Liffey valley have both changed retail units to become restaurants, one of the big units in Beacon Shopping Centre is now a Ben Dunne Gym, so mixed purpose is hear to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

hero001 wrote: »
    A Supervalu move would make sense, Supervalue is Naas is however an independent franchise (Rushe's) not musgrave group. So this could come down to the individual franchise, and their appetite to invest in their business, and the supports available for the banks/developer/musgrave.
    Musgraves will always "encourage" franchisees to update and also provide the finance and support to do so too. The current SV could easily be made into a Centra (about the right size for one too) :)

Musgraves will always "encourage" franchisees to update and also provide the finance and support to do so too. The current SV could easily be made into a Centra (about the right size for one too) :)

Yeah for sure. The current SuperValu is way to small for the size of Naas. I know there’s a another one at the train station in Sallins.

I know rushes have been in that building for a long time but I hope there’s a drive there for them to expand into a much larger store in the town centre.

a few contradictions there. you say it should be 100% retail but if whitewater is on the way out, is it not likely that a shopping centre in naas will fail too.

I think this is very shortsigned.

Retail is moving more and more online (I don't like it but it seems inevitable) especially with the likes of Amazon opening a distribution center in the republic. (Premises being securied currently)

I think, the future for Naas is as a recreation based town. Bars, Cafe, Resturant and services will provide a better longevity. I have seen many of the UK highstreets and they are ghosttowns after dark. Now they are also failing during the day. I hope Naas continues to thrive as a cafe, pub and resturant town, with people living close to the town center so they can walk in, or cycle ,making use of the town center day and night.

Also, having the greenway will attract people to take day trips out from Dublin to eat and enjoy themseelves here. This could prove a great tourist oppertunity for our town.

Just my opinion!

I agree. it could be a better recreation based town. traffic on the roads will get worse on the roads with all the new housing estates going up. but they could provide more business for cafes/restaurants/sports/gyms etc.

i feel sorry for dunnes and supervalu. as id say most people will go to the new shopping centre for their weekly shop knowing they can go to a few other shops etc.

Reading over the previous few pages makes for depressing reading if ye were to pay attention to some people.

hahaaha. good point. i think that should be a sticky when you come onto the boards.ie website

I fully agree that Musgrave will encourage the franchisee. My point is that the Rushes are a small business (I think they have 2 stores), even with support loan from Musgrave, they would still be looking at a substancial investment in the fit out, with potential personal guarantees, bank finance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

hero001 wrote: »
    I fully agree that Musgrave will encourage the franchisee. My point is that the Rushes are a small business (I think they have 2 stores), even with support loan from Musgrave, they would still be looking at a substancial investment in the fit out, with potential personal guarantees, bank finance etc.

Would they potentially take the franchise off Rushes and give it to Condron's / Crosses or run it themselves?

I think Rushes was a Spar once upon a time when Superquinn was in town

Advertisement