Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

SuperValu is one that has not changed in a good few years. Would think they would go into the centre, especially if people will be living in the same building. Always thought the SuperValu was a good size for an Iceland store or a pool/ hang out place for school kids

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lidl and Aldi are both mad after a site/building in the town. They would take over the building from Rushes no doubt. Do Rushes own the building actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

hero001 wrote: »
    I fully agree that Musgrave will encourage the franchisee. My point is that the Rushes are a small business (I think they have 2 stores), even with support loan from Musgrave, they would still be looking at a substancial investment in the fit out, with potential personal guarantees, bank finance etc.

Rushes a small business? -

They have a superb and very busy Supervalu in Dalkey, a large Supervalu in Killiney and possibly one of the busiest Centras in Ireland in Stillorgan (about the size of the Naas Supervalu) and have over 200 staff.

I would hazard a guess and say they are about twice the size of Crosses group who have about 100 staff (source - linkedin) between their supervalu and 3 centras

Its all guesswork, but it looks like the only real potential anchor tenant.

Also in many cases the developers of a centre will do the general fitout and capitalise it into the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

beertons wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi are both mad after a site/building in the town. They would take over the building from Rushes no doubt. Do Rushes own the building actually?

Actually would Aldi go in the main mall? They have a shop inside the mall in Blackrock?

Actually would Aldi go in the main mall? They have a shop inside the mall in Blackrock?

Aldi already have two stores in Naas. Simply no market for a third Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

silver2020 wrote: »
    Rushes a small business? -

They have a superb and very busy Supervalu in Dalkey, a large Supervalu in Killiney and possibly one of the busiest Centras in Ireland in Stillorgan (about the size of the Naas Supervalu) and have over 200 staff.

I would hazard a guess and say they are about twice the size of Crosses group who have about 100 staff (source - linkedin) between their supervalu and 3 centras

Its all guesswork, but it looks like the only real potential anchor tenant.

Also in many cases the developers of a centre will do the general fitout and capitalise it into the rent.

Tesco have 150 stores in Ireland, with 13,000 employee (source tesco website) Dunnes have 142 stores in Ireland, with 15,000 employee (source Dunnes website) so Rushes with 3 stores are a small business compaired to their competitors.

Tesco have 150 stores in Ireland, with 13,000 employee (source tesco website) Dunnes have 142 stores in Ireland, with 15,000 employee (source Dunnes website) so Rushes with 3 stores are a small business compaired to their competitors.

poster was suggesting crosses group would be better placed. So please take posts in context. Tesco nor Dunnes were in the context of the post.

So in COMPARISON with what the poster was saying Rushes are much larger than Crosses.

Dunnes are tiny compared to Walmart if you want to go your route.
    You are probably on the breadline if you compare your wealth to Bill Gates

So context please

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

The coffee shop in B&Q car park will be a Starbucks drive through, disappointed its not independent. The coffee van beside Choice is great for something "different"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

why do we need a supermarket as Anchor?

we have loads of them

1x Dunnes

2x Tesco

2x Aldi

1x Lidl

1x SuperValu.

why do we need a supermarket as Anchor?

we have loads of them

1x Dunnes

2x Tesco

2x Aldi

1x Lidl

1x SuperValu.

Supermakets are well know to generate "footfall", which will make it earier to rent the other units. There would be other Anchors such as Penneys who could also do this, but not too many. When Dunnes pulled out as Anchor last time around, they couldn't let the other units.

• Advertisement

Supermakets are well know to generate "footfall", which will make it earier to rent the other units. There would be other Anchors such as Penneys who could also do this, but not too many. When Dunnes pulled out as Anchor last time around, they couldn't let the other units.

Then they should focus on A Penney’s or the like. Naas is swamped in Supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

eusap wrote: »
    The coffee shop in B&Q car park will be a Starbucks drive through, disappointed its not independent. The coffee van beside Choice is great for something "different"

Urrrrrghhhh - and it was such an opportunity to go local / independent

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

The two Aldis and one Lidl store in Naas aren’t really in Naas though, you need a car to get to them. If you live in the town and you don’t have a car, or you’re elderly living in the town, you do your shopping in Dunne’s/Tesco/SuperValu depending on which side of the town you live in. The smaller Aldi and Lidl stores in towns are a great asset to those on low incomes without the option of travelling to the bigger ones. Would love to see M&S food hall back in the town personally. I’m delighted to see the shopping centre finally in good hands anyway. Whatever ends up in there will be better than it lying empty with a fire started in it every couple of months!

A M&S and a Penney's in the new mall would be ideal I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

A M&S and a Penney's in the new mall would be ideal I think

That would be really good indeed. Unlikely to happen as being so close to Liffey Valley and Whitewater.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Already mentioned on here but first confirmation of it I’ve seen

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yeah, M&S tried a store here already and failed. Dunnes could go down a separate non food store.

Jammyd wrote: »

Costa Coffee employees

pitchforks-at-the-rdy.jpg

beertons wrote: »
    Yeah, M&S tried a store here already and failed. Dunnes could go down a separate non food store.

On top of this M&S reported their first loss in 94 years last month and claim that their Irish operation will be hit materially by a no deal Brexit. So given all of this, the changes of them opening are close to zero.

Dunnes non food would be great.

On top of this M&S reported their first loss in 94 years last month and claim that their Irish operation will be hit materially by a no deal Brexit. So given all of this, the changes of them opening are close to zero.

Dunnes non food would be great.

Yeah but a company that size won't turn down an opportunity if it's available. Everyone has been hit by the downturn and where the old M&S shop was was a bit crap. (the food M&S is not enough of a draw on its own to warrant a drive into town).

That said Dunnes non food (like the one in Lucan) could definitely work and I reckon you'll definitely have a sports direct in there too (or even a House of Fraser).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Tom_Walsh

Jammyd wrote: »

Great News - is that the one with B and Q and Harvey Normans at bundle of sticks roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Tom_Walsh wrote: »
    Great News - is that the one with B and Q and Harvey Normans at bundle of sticks roundabout?

Yes, Newhall retail park. I bet there are plans to expand that park if Starbucks are moving in.

Random but something like a Flyfit gym would not be a bad shot as one of the anchor tenants. Defo think a big Supervalu would also be great if they were willing to expand. Add in a marks and sparks and your laughing!

Tomrota wrote: »
    Yes, Newhall retail park. I bet there are plans to expand that park if Starbucks are moving in.

Great Drive thru coffee is a good idea. Always want to grab one in Mcdonalds but does be packed with people getting food. Would of been nice if it was Irish coffee shop but better than nothing! Naas has a lot going on nowadays. Good to see

Yeah but a company that size won't turn down an opportunity if it's available. Everyone has been hit by the downturn and where the old M&S shop was was a bit crap. (the food M&S is not enough of a draw on its own to warrant a drive into town).

That said Dunnes non food (like the one in Lucan) could definitely work and I reckon you'll definitely have a sports direct in there too (or even a House of Fraser).

Some great shouts here, sports direct for sure. Lifestyle is gone and Elverys is not great. Not sure if that random sports shop is in the caspo centre anymore! Sports direct/Heatons are great. Even a Decathlon would be amazing. Lets See....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Tom_Walsh wrote: »
    Great Drive thru coffee is a good idea. Always want to grab one in Mcdonalds but does be packed with people getting food. Would of been nice if it was Irish coffee shop but better than nothing! Naas has a lot going on nowadays. Good to see

If you are driving on the Kilcullen road, just at the two mile house junction, there's a coffee hut parked.

Coffee is definitely one of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Darc19 wrote: »
    If you are driving on the Kilcullen road, just at the two mile house junction, there's a coffee hut parked.

Saw that and thought it’s a bit of a dangerous location. Always people at it though, so must be good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Darc19 wrote: »

mental how all these are popping up

there's one on the canal near the bridge, not sure if its on private land or public but if I was the owner of the house right beside it I wouldnt be too impressed with that generator running all day

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ncoen

Ok its official, contracts are signed and we are moving to Naas and we cannot wait. Reading the posts above make us realise how much investment there is in Naas (Naas shopping centre, Poplar Sq, Kerdiffstown Park, Canal Greenway and much more)

And with the increased population due to the new housing estates, and the fact that most people will wfh going forward, I would hope to see more cafes, bars, restaurants opening up in the town. So exciting times ahead!

Now that I know we will be moving in 2 weeks time... eek... I need to source a moving van. Can anyone recommend a van and a man, preferably 2 men, to help with the move?? We have a good bit of furniture so would need to be a large van (i.e. bed, kitchen table, 2 sofas, desk etc).

Thx ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

ncoen wrote: »
    Ok its official, contracts are signed and we are moving to Naas and we cannot wait. Reading the posts above make us realise how much investment there is in Naas (Naas shopping centre, Poplar Sq, Kerdiffstown Park, Canal Greenway and much more)

And with the increased population due to the new housing estates, and the fact that most people will wfh going forward, I would hope to see more cafes, bars, restaurants opening up in the town. So exciting times ahead!

Now that I know we will be moving in 2 weeks time... eek... I need to source a moving van. Can anyone recommend a van and a man, preferably 2 men, to help with the move?? We have a good bit of furniture so would need to be a large van (i.e. bed, kitchen table, 2 sofas, desk etc).

Thx ;-)

https://www.getcracking.ie/

Advertisement