Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Not true. Air quality is a lot better today compared to 20 years ago, see link below. What's happening in Monread at the moment sounds like a particularly bad localised incident. Have you tried walking in other areas of the town to see how they compare? It may well be that someone is burning poor fuel in a particular house. Road traffic is higher, but emissions per vehicle is a fraction of what it used to be. Solid fuel fires, especially open fires, are the biggest contributor to local poor air quality

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eii/eii19/air/

Tks for sharing that link. That CSO goes up to 2017. Id say that burning fires in houses has really increased in the last 4 years. Thats just what i have noticed. Came from that Scandanavian Hygge being in fashion.. I suspect its across the country but that is based on media and not empirically evidenced.

im down in the craddockstown area and in the morell area a good bit and notice lot of smoke all this winter. maybe its more people are staying home so more fires burning.

There is a house on the left when you are going from ashgrove to monread just after crossing the road. i havent noticed anything particular bad in the smoke but tehy have it burnign alot and i think its a bungalow so its very noticeable.

The UK are planning to bring in a solid fuel ban. So thats why i think the Irish governemnt will do something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Government still haven't fully banned smoky coal!
    That would be a start.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I walk around that area maybe once or twice a week and I’ve not noticed it either, so I guess it someone burning crap every now and again, not a case of every second house burning Smokey coal, that’s for sure.

I reckon that might be the issue. I'd not rule out a good few houses burning logs that mightn't have been stored properly either though. And the weather plays a part too.
    ncoen wrote: »
    So is it steam or smoke being emitted from these industrial chimneys? Has this always been the case? Either way, you say this isnt the issue with air quality, its the homes not the businesses.

It's not steam :) If it's from a boiler it's fluegases........... emitted when oil or natural gas is burned. Steam is too expensive to generate to be lashing away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

im down in the craddockstown area...

I'm living in this area and I had noticed the huge amount of smoke in the air when heading down to Tesco one of the nights where the temps were quite low. Nothing down our way then suddenly can see it in the air when it passed the street lights. I could smell the burning fuel in the air when I exited Tesco later on.

Never experienced it that strong back in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Augeo wrote: »
    It's not steam :) If it's from a boiler it's fluegases........... emitted when oil or natural gas is burned. Steam is too expensive to generate to be lashing away :)

True, its is flue gas but the visible 'smoke' from any industrial chimney now is water vapour in the flue gas. The traditional dirty image of factories belching out black smoke is long gone, along with solid fuels in the industrial setting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Anybody noticing boy racers on the sallins road? It seems to have gotten worse during lockdown. Young lads with straight through exhausts on crappy cars speeding up and down the sallins road. I leave near the road and the noise of them at nighttime is unreal. House was shaking at 1am this morning. There must be some laws against this noise pollution.

..........There must be some laws against this noise pollution.

https://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Modified-Vehicles-/

Vehicle Exhaust Noise
    Vehicles are required to have a level of noise no greater than 99dB(A) in order to pass the test to ensure that vehicles comply with acceptable noise levels. An Garda Síochána currently use sound measurement equipment at roadside enforcement checkpoints throughout the country. The penalty on conviction is a fine which, depending if there have been previous similar convictions, may not exceed €2,000 and/or, at the discretion of the court, imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months.

Enforcement of Road Traffic legislation is a matter for An Garda Síochána.

Vehicle owners should also ensure that their vehicle registration documents match the vehicle as this will be checked against the vehicle file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Augeo wrote: »
    https://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Modified-Vehicles-/

Vehicle Exhaust Noise
    Vehicles are required to have a level of noise no greater than 99dB(A) in order to pass the test to ensure that vehicles comply with acceptable noise levels. An Garda Síochána currently use sound measurement equipment at roadside enforcement checkpoints throughout the country. The penalty on conviction is a fine which, depending if there have been previous similar convictions, may not exceed €2,000 and/or, at the discretion of the court, imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months.

Enforcement of Road Traffic legislation is a matter for An Garda Síochána.

Vehicle owners should also ensure that their vehicle registration documents match the vehicle as this will be checked against the vehicle file.

Right, I’m going to start taking the reg numbers and write to the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Right, I’m going to start taking the reg numbers and write to the Gardai

get the reg if you can.

But i dont think you need it, id say the gardai are well aware of them from their patrols late at night when there are no other cars on the road. They probably dont bother enforcing the noise limit fines as no one has complained. But if you phone Naas Garda station and make a complaint, id say the Garda will be more justified in handing out a fine as they can say they received complaints about this.

The drivers probably dont realise the nuisance they are causing, and i find people in naas, even hated teenagers to be very polite. So if the garda gave them a warning, id say they would take it to a road away from houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Anyone with brown water on and off the last few days in Naas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

MaxPower89 wrote: »

Noticed some of that this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

No not yet. However the pressure here on Dublin Road is somewhat lower than normal. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pressure has been a constant low for us since the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

beertons wrote: »
    Pressure has been a constant low for us since the summer.

Mind me asking what part of the town?

cunnijo wrote: »
    Mind me asking what part of the town?

By the gym in Monread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Having flashbacks of naas cbs in the 90s when raw sewage leaked into the water supply and a few hundred lads got the sh1ts as a result :)

Having flashbacks of naas cbs in the 90s when raw sewage leaked into the water supply and a few hundred lads got the sh1ts as a result :)

I was going to say it's been brown since the 90's too. I didn't get it, as our water came from a different source, but I remember all the others in my primary class. 15 absent overnight.

Was that not 2003? Water was sitting in the tanks the whole summer and the lads drank it after a match?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Was that not 2003? Water was sitting in the tanks the whole summer and the lads drank it after a match?

Could have happened a few times :)

I hear Lidl Sallins is closed due to a covid outbreak, can anyone else confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Yes that was the well from Sundays well that they found, and decided to use for Naas, plenty people got sick from that, about 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I hear Lidl Sallins is closed due to a covid outbreak, can anyone else confirm?

I can confirm Lidl in Sallins was open this morning.

Yes that was the well from Sundays well that they found, and decided to use for Naas, plenty people got sick from that, about 1993.

Jeepers didn’t know my secondary school that I attended had such an illustrious past

Jeepers didn’t know my secondary school that I attended had such an illustrious past

It was like a zombie movie lads puking and sh1ting all day. I never touched a drop of it and ended up confined to home for the week with a nasty bug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Hi folks, does anyone know anywhere in Naas that I could get a document printed? The Stationery store seems to be closed because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

There are printers available in the Monread shopping centre, beside Costa. 30c per page I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Hi folks, does anyone know anywhere in Naas that I could get a document printed? The Stationery store seems to be closed because of Covid.

Have you called the stationary store? If you email the doc they may print it for collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bbnaas

eoghan104 wrote: »

Curry's & Argos click and collect available if you wanted to pick up a cheap printer

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

For the runners of Naas, where are you going for your long runs these days? Don't think I can stomach another lap of the ring road. Also any suggestions for hills for hill runs?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

For the runners of Naas, where are you going for your long runs these days? Don't think I can stomach another lap of the ring road. Also any suggestions for hills for hill runs?

I'd usually head out the craddockstown or kilcullen roads and double back in.

Advertisement