Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

For the runners of Naas, where are you going for your long runs these days? Don't think I can stomach another lap of the ring road. Also any suggestions for hills for hill runs?

Could do a couple of loops of Glen Ding Forest in daylight. The path loops down into the back of the quarry and back up ino the forrest. It's a little hilly too (but not too much).

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Glen+Ding+Forest/@53.1801122,-6.5648771,937m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48679d3051b6a781:0x5aff595b296fa121!8m2!3d53.1801122!4d-6.5612398

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hills? Here we go. Start at McDonald's, all the way up to Killashee. Turn right, keep going to the old Ray o Brien garage. Back up by Harvey Norman, right at Jiggistown, and continue up, down to ballycane. Still gas in the tank? Take a right up to Craddockstown nursing home, keep going to punchestown. Left, down to beggars end. Straight through, up by rugby club. You can vary it here, take next right and head to kill, or just go straight into Johnstown, and finish with the slow climb onto Dublin road. Varies between 10 & 30 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

beertons wrote: »
    Hills? Here we go. Start at McDonald's, all the way up to Killashee. Turn right, keep going to the old Ray o Brien garage. Back up by Harvey Norman, right at Jiggistown, and continue up, down to ballycane. Still gas in the tank? Take a right up to Craddockstown nursing home, keep going to punchestown. Left, down to beggars end. Straight through, up by rugby club. You can vary it here, take next right and head to kill, or just go straight into Johnstown, and finish with the slow climb onto Dublin road. Varies between 10 & 30 km.

And all within the 5k limit I think! I never realised how hilly Naas is until I started running...

jasonb wrote: »
    And all within the 5k limit I think! I never realised how hilly Naas is until I started running...

Give or take. I had the kids doing it in the bikes since April. There's another one. In from Kill, turn to Johnstown garden centre, keep going up by naas gof club, into Sallins. Head to Acorn creche, and take the canal road back into Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Cheers everyone although I’m not sure I’m brave enough to run on some of those roads as I do most of my running at night these days!

• Advertisement

Cheers everyone although I’m not sure I’m brave enough to run on some of those roads as I do most of my running at night these days!

Hi viz and away ya go. They're quiet roads, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Is there anywhere in Naas that you can use a weighting scales. Tesco Monread/Pharmacy???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

The amount of overflowing bins around the town is a disgrace. I've seen it alot in the last 4 months, bins not being emptied and then the crows and sea gulls pulling everything out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

McBluffin wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Naas that you can use a weighting scales. Tesco Monread/Pharmacy???

Believe it or not Maxizoo have a scales for weighing pets but nothing to stop you jumping on it. I did this myself a couple of weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Smyths toys have a weighing scale besides kids car seats.

• Advertisement

Smyths toys have a weighing scale besides kids car seats.

Smyths is closed under L5 restrictions.

Is there a scales in any chemist I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Lockster wrote: »
    Believe it or not Maxizoo have a scales for weighing pets but nothing to stop you jumping on it. I did this myself a couple of weeks back.

That's a great idea. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

The amount of overflowing bins around the town is a disgrace. I've seen it alot in the last 4 months, bins not being emptied and then the crows and sea gulls pulling everything out of it.

How about the amount of dog ****e! Monread park is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Lockster wrote: »

Yes - more or less straight in the door past the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

gar wrote: »
    How about the amount of dog ****e! Monread park is ridiculous.

Not just monread, lots of brown snow on Main Street early this morning

Any air quality problem denyists.... Go up to monread or morell area now. Just outside and stinging eyes and burning throat with all the chimney smoke around.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Any air quality problem denyists.... Go up to monread or morell area now. Just outside and stinging eyes and burning throat with all the chimney smoke around.

You don’t even have to go into the park, just step outside your house for five seconds and you’ll get the smell. The place is swamped in fumes. Smells like there’re about 100 bonfires burning at once. Absolute disgrace, can’t imagine how many people will be getting asthma, lung cancer, etc. as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

Tomrota wrote: »
    You don’t even have to go into the park, just step outside your house for five seconds and you’ll get the smell. The place is swamped in fumes. Smells like there’re about 100 bonfires burning at once. Absolute disgrace, can’t imagine how many people will be getting asthma, lung cancer, etc. as a result.

While I get that smoke does irritate some more than others If people are burning the correct fuel then it’s within the law, nothing to see here.

My chimney was smoking alot today, early on. There was no wind though, so it just lingered outside. I can't really do much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My chimney was smoking alot today, early on. There was no wind though, so it just lingered outside. I can't really do much about it.

Use your boiler instead of lighting a fire ?

• Advertisement

scwazrh wrote: »
    Use your boiler instead of lighting a fire ?

Heat my whole house, when I only want one room warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Turn off the radiators in the rooms you don't need heated....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Well you know the smoke is lingering so instead of polluting the local air could you not manage for a night ?Bit selfish really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I was around that actual area about an hour before your post. Yes there was a smell of chimney smoke. It didn’t seem that bad to me. No sore eyes or throat.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Turn off the radiators in the rooms you don't need heated....

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Run your stove hotter to get a cleaner burn. If you’re getting a lot of smoke then you’re doing it wrong.

i dont want this thread to become too negative. admittedly i start.

Naas is a great aul town. i dont notice much anti social behaviour. lots to do, ie amenities. one of the big disadvantages for me and some others was that its a commute to work. but with wfh going to become more common in years to come. that problem is becoming less. Id say id have more time (less commuting) to venture into the town on weekday evenings to a restaurant and a bar.

bring on the canal greenway and the new kerdifstown park. and with less commuting traffic, will be even quicker into dublin on the n7 when you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

i dont want this thread to become too negative. admittedly i start.

Naas is a great aul town. i dont notice much anti social behaviour. lots to do, ie amenities. one of the big disadvantages for me and some others was that its a commute to work. but with wfh going to become more common in years to come. that problem is becoming less. Id say id have more time (less commuting) to venture into the town on weekday evenings to a restaurant and a bar.

bring on the canal greenway and the new kerdifstown park. and with less commuting traffic, will be even quicker into dublin on the n7 when you need to.
    I just really would like the air to be fresh and I wish that we could start switching over to more environmentally friendly ways of heating our homes as it has a really bad effect on me personally. I end up having to drive to punchstown or the router side of naas just to go for a walk.

In terms of anti-social behaviour, it’s definitely not that bad. Maybe it is worse in the Sallins area but overall is grand. And in terms of commuting, the transport situation is pretty grim compared to other commuter towns which have Dublin bus and DART. There are no local bus routes in the area so car reliance is pretty high.

I never meant to sound negative about it in any of my posts, but if I did it’s out of wanting to improve the area. Naas is a lovely place, and when the Kerdiffstown park, the deburg park (anyone have any updates on that?) and the shopping centre are completed, it will be even better. It’s close proximity to dublin is also a huge plus, so you’re never too far from a concert, the airport or a hospital. I’m happy to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Tomrota wrote: »
    I just really would like the air to be fresh and I wish that we could start switching over to more environmentally friendly ways of heating our homes as it has a really bad effect on me personally. I end up having to drive to punchstown or the router side of naas just to go for a walk.

In terms of anti-social behaviour, it’s definitely not that bad. Maybe it is worse in the Sallins area but overall is grand. And in terms of commuting, the transport situation is pretty grim compared to other commuter towns which have Dublin bus and DART. There are no local bus routes in the area so car reliance is pretty high.

I never meant to sound negative about it in any of my posts, but if I did it’s out of wanting to improve the area. Naas is a lovely place, and when the Kerdiffstown park, the deburg park (anyone have any updates on that?) and the shopping centre are completed, it will be even better. It’s close proximity to dublin is also a huge plus, so you’re never too far from a concert, the airport or a hospital. I’m happy to live here.

What type of anti social behaviour is in Sallins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

What type of anti social behaviour is in Sallins?

I'd also like to know.I'm in Sallins over 20 years and I've no idea what they are talking about

Advertisement