Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

My sympathy towards the cycling lobby is somewhat diminished every time I'm driving back from the supermarket through Millennium Park and some Bradley Wiggins wannabe is holding up traffic cycling on the road ignoring the perfectly good cycle lane right next to them!

For the record, I usually cycle myself where I can and it's not too dangerous (I live a bit away from Naas) and would love to see the grand canal greenway finished!

could this be because the cycle lane disappears at the bridge over the canal on the millenium ring road coming towards sallins roundabout?

also there are alot more people walking in the pandemic and cyclists feel they are putting pedestrians in danger by continuing on the cycle path?

im in the cyclist side. health, climate change, enjoyment. quality of air etc. but i understand alot of people are pro car. and i respect that. i think the government need to decide once and for all are we going to be like Texas or Detroit in the US, or be pro cyclin like the Netherlands. this half handed tiny payments for a few cycle lanes around the country isnt sending a definite message. should we stay in our cars or get on our bike

Tks to the person that shared that article on naas cycle to train station. i think its accepted that cycling in naas leads alot to be desired. but do people want it changed to the detriment of cars?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

They're not really cycle lanes to the train station though. I take my kids along that road from de burghs, to the real cycle path up along by Kerry. You'd swear they made the road wider, the way they go on. They'd have to make the Sallins Rd one way, if they were to make areal go of a cycle path. I walked my 2 to school from September to November last year going into Naas, there's no way they could go that way on their bikes with the line of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

could this be because the cycle lane disappears at the bridge over the canal on the millenium ring road coming towards sallins roundabout?

also there are alot more people walking in the pandemic and cyclists feel they are putting pedestrians in danger by continuing on the cycle path?

im in the cyclist side. health, climate change, enjoyment. quality of air etc. but i understand alot of people are pro car. and i respect that. i think the government need to decide once and for all are we going to be like Texas or Detroit in the US, or be pro cyclin like the Netherlands. this half handed tiny payments for a few cycle lanes around the country isnt sending a definite message. should we stay in our cars or get on our bike

Tks to the person that shared that article on naas cycle to train station. i think its accepted that cycling in naas leads alot to be desired. but do people want it changed to the detriment of cars?

I'll give you an allowance on that section but it's only about 100 meters the next 5km is all cycle lane

I'll give you an allowance on that section but it's only about 100 meters the next 5km is all cycle lane

hahaha, tks.

id say cyclists are too lazy to stop the bike and get back on the pathway after passing that bridge. and just continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Folks

It seems AES have still have not emptied the recycle bin(s) despite sending out a text asking us to put it out on Sunday night.

Does this still apply or has your bins been done.

• Advertisement

My next door neighbours bin is still out. Haven't heard a bin lorry yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Happened me a good few times last year and so jumped ship to thorntons. actually worked out cheaper plus both me a my neighbour got credit as they 'refferred me'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

gar wrote: »
    Happened me a good few times last year and so jumped ship to thorntons. actually worked out cheaper plus both me a my neighbour got credit as they 'refferred me'

I wouldn't say thorntons is cheap, works out about 27 euro per month for me on average. They are good service though and have never missed a collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say thorntons is cheap, works out about 27 euro per month for me on average. They are good service though and have never missed a collection.

I used to be with AES but after issues of their annual charge, I moved to Thornton's.

We are a house of 3 - 2 adults & teen daughter - & the best move we made. We saved about € 130/annum.

And as You say we are now with Thornton's for 3 years and I cannot recall them once failing to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

beertons wrote: »
    They're not really cycle lanes to the train station though. I take my kids along that road from de burghs, to the real cycle path up along by Kerry. You'd swear they made the road wider, the way they go on. They'd have to make the Sallins Rd one way, if they were to make areal go of a cycle path. I walked my 2 to school from September to November last year going into Naas, there's no way they could go that way on their bikes with the line of traffic.

Yeah and the cycle lanes into Sallins itself from the Sallins roundabout are a complete joke. Imagine sending kids on that road on their bikes. I hate driving that stretch never mind cycling it because it feels so stupidly narrow.

• Advertisement

Yeah and the cycle lanes into Sallins itself from the Sallins roundabout are a complete joke. Imagine sending kids on that road on their bikes. I hate driving that stretch never mind cycling it because it feels so stupidly narrow.

I know. We got out for 23km earlier, the same stretch was the only dodgy part. But they're 12 months rolling tarmac now, so a bit of cop on between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

beertons wrote: »
    Cycling is so dangerous on the Sallins road, I’ve heard of people being hit before. There should be high frequency bus routes to the train station as a way to reduce car usage. Cycling and public transport are the way forward. So sick of this car based country. Any road that is being constructed or resurfaced should have a segregated cycling track. It’s ridiculous on roads like the Newbridge road (probably room for a bus lane too), the dublin road and the road past the garda station. These roads are sooooooo wide, yet they have skinny footpaths both sides and no cycling infrastructure, and little public transport infrastructure.... clearly telling people that car is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just read in leinster leader, 150 jobs to go at Kerry Foods. Back office functions, Finance, Hr, regulartory to go to Mexico and Malaysia.

Anywhere besides power city that you can recycle electrical goods in naas. Power City had a skip for recycling electrical goods but gate into skip area is always closed

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Anywhere besides power city that you can recycle electrical goods in naas. Power City had a skip for recycling electrical goods but gate into skip area is always closed

You just leave it outside the gates

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mac B

They usually leave a pallet outside the gate. Leave on the pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mac B

Not sure if this has been said but Aldi Monread now doing click and collect

anyone know if naas racecourse is still open on saturdays to do a loop and if they allow bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

anyone know if naas racecourse is still open on saturdays to do a loop and if they allow bikes?

Got a pizza from the Pizza guy there last Saturday.

anewme wrote: »
    Got a pizza from the Pizza guy there last Saturday.

thank you. anewme. ill head up on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

is punchestown racecourse still open?
    was going to bring kids for a walk around ambulance track
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

chancer007 wrote: »
    is punchestown racecourse still open?
    was going to bring kids for a walk around ambulance track
    thanks

Yes, it is - as long as there are no actual races on. It is closed on those days. Otherwise, its a pretty popular spot!

Anatom wrote: »
    Yes, it is - as long as there are no actual races on. It is closed on those days. Otherwise, its a pretty popular spot!

tell you Anatom, you could get a job working for Naas Tourist board. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m not religious or anything but it’s AES bin night tonight and I feel like having a prayer meeting in advance, people here missed their collection last week am I right ? Was it resolved or left for next collection? Bin weighs a tonne tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I’m not religious or anything but it’s AES bin night tonight and I feel like having a prayer meeting in advance, people here missed their collection last week am I right ? Was it resolved or left for next collection? Bin weighs a tonne tonight

I had the same issue 2 weeks ago. Phoned and emailed them and they collected it a week later despite getting a text from them stating it was to be collected on Monday of last week.

Today a miracle happened. The bin was actually emptied this morning. Hope yours was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

so a service that has been running for years misses part of one route out of hundreds on one collection day and you think the world will collapse and you need divine inspiration for the service to work?

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

anewme wrote: »
    Just read in leinster leader, 150 jobs to go at Kerry Foods. Back office functions, Finance, Hr, regulartory to go to Mexico and Malaysia.

.. Kerry GROUP, not foods. (Foods is <20% of Kerry Group)

150 from their Irish workforce and the impact is across the Irish sites, not just Naas. While awful news for those affected its not going to be a huge change for the local site here in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

silver2020 wrote: »
    so a service that has been running for years misses part of one route out of hundreds on one collection day and you think the world will collapse and you need divine inspiration for the service to work?

Seriously?

Apologies for getting sand in your underpants but there was many reports of missed “areas” last week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Which is a better spot to stretch the legs and go for a nice scenic walk - naas raceourse or punchestown racecourse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

donfers wrote: »
    Which is a better spot to stretch the legs and go for a nice scenic walk - naas raceourse or punchestown racecourse?

Punchestown. Naas racecourse authorities are a disgrace and seem intent on discouraging people from entering. The gates are closed on the Tipper Road and those of us who found a way in now find holes in the hedges blocked. They then stick up signs saying the land is poisoned to stop you taking a dog in.

Advertisement