Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Do you reckon the population of naas will see a big decline over the next decade or so??

A lot of people I know who settled in naas did so cause they are from the countryside and its close to Dublin for work and to their real home.

With people able to work from home in sligo, Galway, Cork for a company based in Dublin, why would they move.

I heard junior infant classes will be way down in Sep 2021. This is a good indicator as it's related to people putting down roots and buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Do you reckon the population of naas will see a big decline over the next decade or so??

A lot of people I know who settled in naas did so cause they are from the countryside and its close to Dublin for work and to their real home.

With people able to work from home in sligo, Galway, Cork for a company based in Dublin, why would they move.

I heard junior infant classes will be way down in Sep 2021. This is a good indicator as it's related to people putting down roots and buying.

No population will continue to increase. The low school numbers is due to a large number of extra places coming online via new schools and new extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

There are still a lot of companies who are aiming to have employees in the office at least 50% of their working week by the end of the year, so moving 100 km's plus from Dublin still won't work for many people. From talking to local auctioneers, there is still very stong demand for housing in Naas, with many properties selling within a week or two of coming onto the market. Most of this appears to be driven by Dub's looking to get out of the city.

On school enrollment, it is very much the "calm before the storm", as there has been a lot of building in the last 3 years in Naas, and more planned in the coming years. This will start of feed into school enrolments in the comming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

My experience would be the opposite. Most people in my estate are originally from Dublin and moved out to Naas/Sallins as it was as close to home as they could afford. They won't be moving back inwards, nor will they be moving further away, and I can see that trend continuing with young Dublin-based people moving to surrounding counties as they try to get on the property ladder.

Once the property market starts functioning again, there will be a high demand for housing in Naas/Sallins and around the whole country really, as recent supply has been scarce.

My experience would be the opposite. Most people in my estate are originally from Dublin and moved out to Naas/Sallins as it was as close to home as they could afford. They won't be moving back inwards, nor will they be moving further away, and I can see that trend continuing with young Dublin-based people moving to surrounding counties as they try to get on the property ladder.

Once the property market starts functioning again, there will be a high demand for housing in Naas/Sallins and around the whole country really, as recent supply has been scarce.

Good point, forgot a lot of dubs coming to naas. Less need to be in Dublin with remote working available

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of any GP's close to the town centre that are accepting new medical card patients. It seems that a new person coming to the area cannot get a GP service because they are a medical card holder.
    The Waterway in Sallins do but the person lives in Naas town and has no transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think the world will see a steady decline over the next 5-10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Does anyone know of any GP's close to the town centre that are accepting new medical card patients. It seems that a new person coming to the area cannot get a GP service because they are a medical card holder.
    The Waterway in Sallins do but the person lives in Naas town and has no transport.

GP's across the board are in short supple and are refusing new patients full stop. My own GP is not taking on any new patients and hasnt in almost a year.

There is a new surgery in the Town Centre called “Mercy Doc” not sure if that do medical cards though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

I hear Krispy Kreme are coming to Tesco Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

pad199207 wrote: »

get a free donut when you get your jab

Valhallapt wrote: »
    There is a new surgery in the Town Centre called “Mercy Doc” not sure if that do medical cards though

i expect that if a doctor is taking new patients full stop they cant refuse a medical card holder. unless they havent signed up to the GMS agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

pad199207 wrote: »

They are installing a digital kiosk inside the Tesco store. The digital part will give information on ingredients and general imagery and the unit itself will be self serve
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/store-design/tesco-increases-rollout-of-krispy-kreme-digital-display-cabinets/648085.article

In addition, Krispy Kreme will be opening a factory in Naas. Don't know the location yet, but their factories are usually about 5,000 - 8,000 sq ft, so could be anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Weeping thaiger seems better than Camile

I took a long walk today and ended up walking by CBS school, whats the story with that building opposite the school? Looks like a car park

jrosen wrote: »
    I took a long walk today and ended up walking by CBS school, whats the story with that building opposite the school? Looks like a car park

You must be nee to Naas! That is the infamous shopping centre, abandoned shortly after the Celtic tiger drew its last breath. It was sold recently and construction has started on rehabilitating it to a smaller shopping centre with mixed residential use and parking.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    You must be nee to Naas! That is the infamous shopping centre, abandoned shortly after the Celtic tiger drew its last breath. It was sold recently and construction has started on rehabilitating it to a smaller shopping centre with mixed residential use and parking.

Im embarrassed to say not new lol. I knew about the shopping center but didnt realize this was part of it. Its crazy to think its sat there all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

Not a medical card issue, limited capacity. I tried a good few practices before I found one without a waiting list a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

COVID 19 Test Centre opened in Naas today

BREAKING: Brazilian Covid-19 strain 'prompts' rapid opening of Naas test centre

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/624006/breaking-brazilian-covid-19-strain-prompts-rapid-opening-of-naas-test-centre.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ncoen

Hey folks, bought a house in Roseville and plumber advised to replace gun barrel piping.... Just done! But as it was built in 1979 is there a chance this house could have lead pipes for water supply (from mains to house)? As obviously would need that fixed too.

I think lead pipes were stopped mid 70s but just seeing if anyone had any knowledge of lead pipes and if homes in naas are affected. Apparently 180k homes are affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ncoen wrote: »
    Hey folks, bought a house in Roseville and plumber advised to replace gun barrel piping.... Just done! But as it was built in 1979 is there a chance this house could have lead pipes for water supply (from mains to house)? As obviously would need that fixed too.

I think lead pipes were stopped mid 70s but just seeing if anyone had any knowledge of lead pipes and if homes in naas are affected. Apparently 180k homes are affected.

Very little chance as lead started to phase out early 70's and mostly gone by mid 70's

This may help
    https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/lead-in-drinking-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MrCross

Is naas racecourse open to the public to walk around? Or any other recommendations on open spaces in naas to walk? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

MrCross wrote: »
    Is naas racecourse open to the public to walk around? Or any other recommendations on open spaces in naas to walk? Thanks
    Yea its open on all days except when racing is on. Entrance is off the tipper road. Puncherstown is the same. The canals are another good choice. Monread park or the lakes down by Vista are your other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Just in case You want a ‘change of scenery’: there is a fabulous walk just outside Rathangan - Killinthomas Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just in case You want a ‘change of scenery’: there is a fabulous walk just outside Rathangan - Killinthomas Wood.

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to trying this and the other walk posted by the poster around Ballymore Eustace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mondello and Craddockstown GC are also open to the public, might never happen again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Mondello and Craddockstown GC are also open to the public, might never happen again.

Can you cycle around the mondello track?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

No, walking only

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No, walking only

Can you overtake?

• Advertisement

i heard pre-covid thursdays evenings was the cycle around mondello park.

is the naas racecourse just a walk around on saturday mornings. as in its closed all other times?

in regard to the ballymore eustace, there are 2 routes, both start where the bridge meets the liffey. one through woods i heard is nice. the other one down to where the picnic benches are... its only about 20min from what i can remember. not sure if i would go all the way to ballymore eustace just for that though. just saying in case ive hyped it up too much. dont want disappointment. its nice to do if you are going to the ballymore restaurant as part of the visit.

Advertisement