Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dunno if it was sold. Grace's aren't running it anymore. New crew have a place in Maynooth aswell.

Yeah, it's a bit rich for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Refugees to be housed in Punchestown starting from November on a two year contract.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/1319009/kildare-378-displaced-ukrainians-set-for-punchestown.html

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭pad199207

Must see if we could use their free shuttle bus into and out of the town to go for walks up at Punchestown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭scwazrh

So that’s kill equestrian and Punchestown being used . A few homeless people sleeping rough on the Main Street and behind the town hall. I wonder if any spare beds be available for them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm also surprised because I heard the first thing you notice upon entering is that its extremely unwelcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭JVince

You have to separate rough sleepers who mostly have other issues and have a preference for rough sleeping and have HUGE supports, and "homeless" who are people currently without a permanent home.

Then within the "homeless" figures you need to break those down. Vast majority are in Dublin. About 40% are originally from outside Ireland, about 20% are from the traveller community. All if them are afforded emergency accommodation in hotels, b&Bs or family hubs and mostly in the area they want to be in. Then look at how many of those in emergency accommodation who are refusing a home because its not beside their granny / mammy / mate.

Ukrainians and international protection applicants are put where there is availability. They get no choice as to where they go. They can be moved with little or no notice too. Thankfully many are permitted to work, so they contribute to the costs.

btw, Kerdiffstown house is operated by SVP / Peter McVerry and houses "local" people in need of accommodation - I suspect those living nearby would far prefer any type refugees judging by the amount of issues in the area by the "local" people being accommodated there.

Think of it this way. Most refugees have spent every cent they have and taken huge risks to get to various safe countries - they are far less likely to cause issues than a drug addict housed in Kerdiffstown

OK who dug up the water mains this evening? 😂

Aye, bad wasn't it.

A neighbour rang me around 6 asking had we water. I replied you never drank it before, stick to the vodka.

Anyone see the meteor shower overhead?

Edit: Turns out it was Elon Musk's Starlink.

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Have there been any updates on the shopping centre? Last i heard was that it would be opening before Christmas which is clearly not going to be happening.

Also, when are they opening up the new park in Kerdiffstown? I thought I saw an announcement a few weeks ago to say it was open but was up there last weekend and the gates are still locked.

Kerdiffstown is opening in March last I heard.

No idea about the shopping centre, seems to be gone very quiet the last 12 months. I wonder has it been shelved. There has been some planning permission issues and I wonder if that was the straw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

I understand that there has been some limited usage of the Astro pitches in Kerdiffstown, but it is not open to the General Public at present.

On the Shopping Centre, the last update was in August 2023, at which point they had their planning permission, and did say that they hoped the Center would be open by Christmas, but this was very optimistic on their part.

Shortly after that, they applied for planning to change the layout of the car park, a decision on which is due shortly. A quick look at the August planning permission file also shows ongoing correspondence, with things like landscaping plans, waste management plans etc, so it looks like it still moving forward, but at a very slow pace.

I would say if it opens next Autumn, they will be doing well. They also still need to find an anchor tenant. On the face of it, Naas has a large population and you would think that large retailers would be lining up to take it, but Naas has historically been a difficult town to trade in. Penneys and M&S closed their Naas stores in the past. Penneys had planned a new large store but gave up due to Planning issues. Dunnes were the original anchor tenant for the centre, but ended up developing their current store, which I understand has been very successful, so will they come back? Other large retailers have gone with Newbridge, so there will be a limited number of retailers who would be willing to take this on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

In fairness the centre needs a ton of work to turn it into a functioning shopping centre. All it is is a concrete shell at present. If they started tomorrow morning I think it would be serious progress if it opened 12 months later

Anyone recommend a car valet around the town?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The guys in the wolf tone street carpark are probably the gold standard in naas. Apple green on sallins Road also. Both busy and you need to book. I've also used the valet in the monread tesco and they were great

There's no bad ones I think. The one on the Dublin Road at Polonez and on Monread Road are owned by the same guy. Almost at detailing level. The one across from Rathasker ain't too bad either from what I heard. I like Sallins Road myself, purely 'coz they're the shortest walk home!

Post edited by beertons on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Sorry. Sallins road. Hennesseys garage, what's it called now. Where Extravision used to be. Bit late in the night now, having a brain fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 routetoot

Does anyone know what all the new cameras on the the access roads to the Naas ring road are for ? Eg 2 on ballymore road attached to the 50km speed limit signs, also spotted some on the kilcullen turn off.

I know they are doing a traffic survey at the moment but the cameras are a new addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Very sad- one of my favourite pubs in Ireland- is it still open does anyone know? Haven’t been out in Naas in about a year so we’ll overdue a visit

Was bought long ago by the owners of Lemongrass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Very much open and they've done a good job with it to be fair. Well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but does anyone know why Tesco Naas can't be selected as an option for IKEA click n collect?

2 other places,Wexford and Louth are available but not Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Does Naas not have its own Ikea order/collection point? Is this an option?

Ikea collection drops over at Tesco Extra, where the click & collect area is.

Well I saw the van there around 4 weeks ago. Was it cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

I collected something from there myself about 6 weeks ago, however, today when I tried to have something dropped there the website said it was unavailable. Item was in stock and could be delivered to Wexford or Louth....but not Naas?

Strange. Maybe they're stuck for space with selling Xmas tree's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

You seem to be able to order some things, guessing small stuff, to places like Supervalu Sallins.

Guess they are using DPD as the list looks just like their pickup points.

Advertisement