Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Cazale wrote: »
    We had 50 bags of crisps, 100 lollipops and 125 bars of chocolate. It was a siege and we ran out of stuff towards the end!

Read before that if you put stuff in a bowl and let the kids take it themselves they will only take one item..

Did that for the last couple of years and it actually works. Bout 6 out of 10 will take 1 item, a few 2s and the odd kid will take a hand full.

For whatever reason we seemed to have a scatter of our cultural cousins calling to us last night and we're the other end of the town from the lads up on the monread road..

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Surprising considering it was dry yesterday evening and relatively warm

On a side not, had a meal in Lemongrass yesterday evening. Disappointed to say the least. of the 4 main meals, only the wok fried lamb came out ok, but far too much mint in it. The other 3 were well below average. Food looked like it was frozen and defrosted, the crispy chicken was no way crispy, roasted half duck was dry as leather and the sweet & sour crispy cod was soggy. Only thing that was worth complimenting was the rice...:rolleyes:

The combo platter, I've had better come out of a few frozen boxes from Tesco

If they keep this up, they will be up against it in 2017 with the choice of restaurants in the town

Their doors closed once before, so watch out Lemongrass

I'm assuming it's different owners to Citywest? I eat in CW quiet a bit for business purposes and find it really good, In turn I never bother with take away when home in Naas from LG

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LSVCP

Anyone tried PS VR in Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

So many acronyms

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

MotorMike wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's different owners to Citywest? I eat in CW quiet a bit for business purposes and find it really good, In turn I never bother with take away when home in Naas from LG

Same owner.

• Advertisement

Read before that if you put stuff in a bowl and let the kids take it themselves they will only take one item..

Did that for the last couple of years and it actually works. Bout 6 out of 10 will take 1 item, a few 2s and the odd kid will take a hand full.

For whatever reason we seemed to have a scatter of our cultural cousins calling to us last night and we're the other end of the town from the lads up on the monread road..

Misery guts here just gave one item per person. I had a bowl of green custard beside the door, and anyone who went in for a lucky dip could keep what they took out. I made them put back the plastic fingers though, I needed them for my scary story. I binned slot of the sweets this morning, it was all those cheap powdery ones, yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Good news for anyone here who commutes to Dublin by train, from next year there is a 50% Rail fare reduction for commuters in Sallins/Naas station, and Kilcock station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Good news for anyone here who commutes to Dublin by train, from next year there is a 50% Rail fare reduction for commuters in Sallins/Naas station, and Kilcock station.

Anything about Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Cazale wrote: »
    Anything about Newbridge?

No change to the Newbridge fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

micks wrote: »

They may have decided to pay the huge levies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

On a vaguely related note, the Topaz/Spar on the Sallins Road (née Hennessey's) closes tomorrow. It's due to re-open as an Applegreen.

Noticed that for once, perhaps to rundown stock, their petrol price was at one of the lowest around town :P

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

L1011 wrote: »
    They may have decided to pay the huge levies.
    that was my take on it rather than the implied withdrawl

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Heard McDonald's in the town is to close... Not sure when

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

On the few occasions I do go to McDonald's I try to go to the one in town purely on principle.

That ugly sh1thole on the monread road is helping to fu ck up the town. They should have given Tesco the planning for the supermarket and told them to shove the rest of the units up their hole. (I realise McDonald's in monread is not Tesco but I am including it for the purposes of my rant)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

Think the planners helped fkuc up the town long before the new Tesco was built.

edit: posted inwrong forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

any reason why? Any time I am down there it seems to have a good crowd (outside) at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Any reviews of the Candied Walnut?

• Advertisement

MaxPower89 wrote: »

I will be there on Saturday :) Will let you know (and the world via Tripadvisor).

MaxPower89 wrote: »

I was in there on the opening Friday night (was meant to give feedback a while ago).

I only realised after I booked that it would be opening night, I was a bit apprehensive as I generally don't like opening nights of anything, due to lack of experience and teething problems.

The only single thing that made it seem like it was an opening night was when we were greeted by 3 different people within 30 seconds, at least we were greeted I guess. They obviously didn't have that bit rehearsed too well but I wasn't too phased. Most of the staff have come from their port Arlington restaurant so it meant most knew each other, a good help for first night nerves.

The interior is eclectic and vibrant, mainly classic neutral but with pops of quirky elements and use of natural materials such as dark wood, exposed brick style, and copper, give it a young but well established feel. Upstairs then has a more casual feel with booth style seating (if I remember correctly) and vibrant signage. The kitchen is open to the restaurant also which creates a good buzz.

Looking at the menu, a wide selection from the a la carte menu for starter and main course, and a wine pairing suggestion which I find helpful not being a big wine head. I ordered the prawns for starter and pork belly for main, Wifey got the goats cheese dish for starter and the seabass for main. There was great care in the presentation, all dishes looked very impressive and there really is plenty on the plate. This is definitely the most stylish presentation of food in Naas, other restaurants take note.

I won't go on too much about the food, it was really tasty, really interesting, and lots of thought and time has gone into the dishes. As I said I'm not big into wine so I can't really comment. Their suggestion was good with my food though.

Initially when looking at the prices I thought it was expensive. But the size of the portions, the quality of the food, and the amount of ingredients, I feel it's money well spent. It's was around €120 for 2 starter, 2 main course, 1 dessert (2 spoons, yeeow) and a bottle of mid priced wine.

In comparison, I would say it's on level with brown bear in 2 mile house, but with a wider, more playful and exciting menu. Does it beat 2 cooks in sallins? Hmmm, both very close but both have different pros and cons, even-ing them out.

I really hope this restaurant does well, and hopefully the corporates around the place will use them to keep business going. I also really hope the quality stays as high, I imagine there is a lot of work to getting dishes like this right.

Fingers crossed.

Lastly, it's a real time for restaurants in the town to up their game. In comparison to this, there are some well established places whos menus now appear a bit dated and run of the mill.

Best of luck to all involved

(Jaypers, I didn't think I had that in me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Well done! I must try it, if we ever manage to actually get out on our own.

By comparison, I was in Jolly the other night for a main course - mid-week, around 7.30 or so, kids an' all. The place was pretty empty, with just two other tables occupied when we came in, and only another two occupied by the time we left. The food quality is absolutely excellent though. Mind you, although I realised pretty quickly I'm not a huge fan of the curried monkfish, I cannot fault the fact that if it were anywhere else in Naas I probably wouldn't have finished it.

Anyway, from the sublime to the ridiculous - Any update on McDonald's closing? I'm no fan of it at all, but its closure would be a real loss to the main street. We have enough empty spots along it already without seeing any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Thanks Paddy, a great review without giving the game away. Time to book the babysitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a house cleaner that serves the Naas area.
    We're looking for someone to do a bit of housework/ironing on a weekly/biweekly basis

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

I tried to bring the kids into McDonald's in the town last night after mass. It was 6.50pm. We were refused entry as the staff member said they were closing. Yet I could see people queuing for food..

It's like they've given up already..

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a house cleaner that serves the Naas area.
    We're looking for someone to do a bit of housework/ironing on a weekly/biweekly basis

Thanks!

This can be hit and miss. Had someone for a while but wouldn't recommend. On the hunt again...

beertons wrote: »
    The lodge closed it's doors on Monday. I was in there on Sunday, it was great craic. Pity, I have to go a bit further now for a few pints.

2 years closed. Can confirm that it has been taken over. No idea yet of when it's reopening, they'll stick it up on facebook I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

beertons wrote: »
    2 years closed. Can confirm that it has been taken over. No idea yet of when it's reopening, they'll stick it up on facebook I'd say.

Not the same though. Fancy cocktails and all that.

I'm too old for that messing ! Ha

• Advertisement

I'm too old for that messing ! Ha

\Cough.

*Should I?

Advertisement