Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

MotorMike wrote: »
    Has the lodge started doing grub yet?

No. They'll be lucky to have the lounge open tomorrow. And I'd give the kitchen a few weeks. You don't want to taste "new" off the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pity, Lawlors it is then for my customary Paddy's day pints and grub

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

beertons wrote: »
    No. They'll be lucky to have the lounge open tomorrow. And I'd give the kitchen a few weeks. You don't want to taste "new" off the food.

Wow that's going on a while now!!!

MotorMike wrote: »
    Wow that's going on a while now!!!

He has a 35 year lease, he might as well do it right from the start.

Lounge open, marquee up outside as well. Its on their Facebook page

• Advertisement

Pub as packed there, just popped in for a nose. Saw a lot of sausages, gougons and chips too. Hey, if you ain't into the traditional, go for a filling and walk home.

Myself and the missus went to tani during the week.
    Absolutely top class grub!
    We got the party platter.
    Delish!

Myself and the missus went to tani during the week.
    Absolutely top class grub!
    We got the party platter.
    Delish!

Price?

The platter was 33 for 35 pieces of sushi/shashmi.
    Got a bottle of red too. Red started at 20e a bottle.
    Highly recommended.

I was talking to the girl who has the sushi bar up in Avocca, and she was telling me last December that she looked at opening a sushi bar in Naas, but felt the money would be better spent on opening in the IFSC. Same money, but more footfall up in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1606086

Anyone any idea where Da Vinci's are opening in Naas?

ideb wrote: »
    https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1606086

Anyone any idea where Da Vinci's are opening in Naas?

Is it where Tony Romas was?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Is it where Tony Romas was?

That makes sense. I saw some work going on there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Heard McDonalds in the town is to close

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

muletide wrote: »
    Heard McDonalds in the town is to close

It is. According to the Leinster Leader the 30th April is its last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Naas is in a desperate place!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Naas is in a desperate place!

I agree. With the council dithering it is going to get al lot worse before it gets better? They cannot even make a decision as to what to do with the white elephant building behind the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Naas is not desperate, far from it actually, it just suffers from a load of whiny locals that don't use the town centre and give out about the state of it whilst heading out to Tesco in monread.

That's not the councils fault, it's your fault. Probably 90% of the stuff you'll buy in tesco can be got in the town but the only issue is Tesco is handy. You can decide to have a functional town or the the handy Tesco shopping experience but you can't have both because one kills the other.

Council rates and parking are a fallacy too. Shops will not open or stay open if people are not shopping in them and they're not, high rates don't help but they're not the main issue. There is also plenty of parking, so you might have to walk a bit further, you're an adult, that's what it takes, deal with it.

For all the negativity the town is generating there is a fantastic restaurant and bar selection in the town. As good as it gets really. Head in on Saturday morning and grab a coffee and read the paper. Maybe you've forgotten what it's like to have a stroll around, you might surprise yourself and enjoy it.

It's worth remembering that if the locals can't be ar.sed making an effort to shop in the town who exactly do you think is going to shop there, particularly when the rte news is telling the nation that its a dead sh1thole.

Balls in our court.

from my perspective, to do the shopping in Tesco Monread is easier than going into the town. I don't agree that you will get everything you need in the town as you will find in the Tesco extra. There are just some products not every shop sells.

However, for clothes, restaurants, bars I will always use the town. I would also walk to the town for a café than go to the Costa in Tesco. I like the family run cafes in the town over the corporate ones. But ask most people out there and they will say the convenience of being able to park for free with always a guarantee of a space in the monread centre has its draw over going to the town any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Naas is not desperate, far from it actually, it just suffers from a load of whiny locals that don't use the town centre and give out about the state of it whilst heading out to Tesco in monread.

That's not the councils fault, it's your fault. Probably 90% of the stuff you'll buy in tesco can be got in the town but the only issue is Tesco is handy. You can decide to have a functional town or the the handy Tesco shopping experience but you can't have both because one kills the other.

Council rates and parking are a fallacy too. Shops will not open or stay open if people are not shopping in them and they're not, high rates don't help but they're not the main issue. There is also plenty of parking, so you might have to walk a bit further, you're an adult, that's what it takes, deal with it.

For all the negativity the town is generating there is a fantastic restaurant and bar selection in the town. As good as it gets really. Head in on Saturday morning and grab a coffee and read the paper. Maybe you've forgotten what it's like to have a stroll around, you might surprise yourself and enjoy it.

It's worth remembering that if the locals can't be ar.sed making an effort to shop in the town who exactly do you think is going to shop there, particularly when the rte news is telling the nation that its a dead sh1thole.

Balls in our court.

Nonsense, the commercial state of the town is not due to one supermarket. Naas was depreciating long before Tesco came along.

Again, patronising fairytale nonsense.

The town planners have made a multitude of mistakes over the last 15 to 20 years in Naas. From Super Quinn fiasco to parking policies. You can't blame the Recession or Big Tesco on everything. The Shopping Centre or would be/won't be shopping centre should have been planned and commenced 5 years earlier or not at all.
    There is a lot more than meets the eye re the ugly concrete jungle overlooking the main street. It's more complicated than simply, the development group have went into receivership. A lot of undisclosed information about why that isn't making any signs of moving on.

All that puke talk from Alan Shine last year when they got the furniture shop in!

You cannot blame the residents for not walking around and having a coffee on a Saturday morning. That won't solve the problem at all.

Listen, for fear of turning this thread into a political rant or just repeating what we all know already, I won't say anymore but it is becoming a taboo subject at this stage and with McDonalds now conceding defeat, it is not getting any better. But hey, we have a furniture shop!

But don't blame the residents for this mess.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    from my perspective, to do the shopping in Tesco Monread is easier than going into the town. I don't agree that you will get everything you need in the town as you will find in the Tesco extra. There are just some products not every shop sells.

However, for clothes, restaurants, bars I will always use the town. I would also walk to the town for a café than go to the Costa in Tesco. I like the family run cafes in the town over the corporate ones. But ask most people out there and they will say the convenience of being able to park for free with always a guarantee of a space in the monread centre has its draw over going to the town any time

It is easier no doubt. If a person doesn't care about the town and values convenience above the life of the town centre that's fine too but at least be honest about it.

If you care about the town centre you need to use it. It takes a bit more effort but if everyone changes their habits even a small bit businesses will do well and more will open.

You'll find yourself in the town at some stage in the week anyway so why not buy your veg in the swan, meat in Nolan's etc. Doesn't have to be every week but every so often would help.

I'm not from Naas but I do get annoyed listening to people giving out about the state of the place. If you have done nothing to help you have also lost the right to give out. Given the places I have lived Naas really is a good spot and effort needs to be made to keep it that way. That starts with the locals as it's your town.

Im not aiming the word "you" at anyone in particular either. I'm just generally annoyed listening to the negative narrative and I thought the piece on the rte news the other night was disgraceful. As someone pointed out on facebook, they gave out about no parking while standing within 150m of 4 carparks. Way to sell yourself as a town.

Nonsense, the commercial state of the town is not due to one supermarket. Naas was depreciating long before Tesco came along.

-- I use Tesco as an example as opposed to the absolute cause. There are many similar Tesco like places that people will drive to instead of using the town. No doubt it was depreciating before Tesco but why not try and steady the ship a bit. The other option is to let it go to sh1t. There are few options in between

Again, patronising fairytale nonsense.

it's patronising to a person who uses the town. It's a suggestion to a person who doesn't.

The town planners have made a multitude of mistakes over the last 15 to 20 years in Naas. From Super Quinn fiasco to parking policies.

-- little doubt but you can't use this as an excuse not to shop there. If you don't how do you expect it to survive?

You can't blame the Recession or Big Tesco on everything.

--- not blaming either. Everyone has a choice. If the majority change habits even slightly and uses the town centre more it will at worst survive. If they choose not to that's fine too but we'll have a town full of phone and vaping shops. No point in complaining then.

The Shopping Centre or would be/won't be shopping centre should have been planned and commenced 5 years earlier or not at all.
    There is a lot more than meets the eye re the ugly concrete jungle overlooking the main street. It's more complicated than simply, the development group have went into receivership. A lot of undisclosed information about why that isn't making any signs of moving on.

--- perhaps and there is little doubt that a completed shopping centre would be fantastic for the town but it never existed before so what's the difference. It's not an excuse to not use the rest of the town

All that puke talk from Alan Shine last year when they got the furniture shop in!

-- don't know who Alan shine is.

You cannot blame the residents for not walking around and having a coffee on a Saturday morning. That won't solve the problem at all.

-- in what manner??? Because Naas is a terrible place to have coffee or I'm just appointing blame where it's not warranted.

Listen, for fear of turning this thread into a political rant or just repeating what we all know already, I won't say anymore but it is becoming a taboo subject at this stage and with McDonalds now conceding defeat, it is not getting any better. But hey, we have a furniture shop!

-- I don't believe it's a political issue. There are roughly 25k people living in Naas and it appears that a large proportion of them do not use the the town. 50 closures in 5 years or so back that up. If people don't use the town shops will close. It's really that simple and it's happening already. If you care you can make an effort, if you don't there's no point in complaining.

But don't blame the residents for this mess.

--- who else can make a difference? If people are not using your shop you will close. Changes in parking costs are not going to fill the town with shoppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Completely agree with all this lads,

1. instead of organising the town for a big community effort/spruce up, Naas got a wannabe angry water chargesesque group.

2. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the way not to attract business is to attract the national media to how rubbish you think your town is.

3. Naas is a big, rich town, there's plenty of space for the town (including a medium sized shopping centre) & the Monread mall.

Completely agree with all this lads,

1. instead of organising the town for a big community effort/spruce up, Naas got a wannabe angry water chargesesque group.

2. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the way not to attract business is to attract the national media to how rubbish you think your town is.

3. Naas is a big, rich town, there's plenty of space for the town (including a medium sized shopping centre) & the Monread mall.

Spot on, particularly with point 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

cunnijo wrote: »
    I agree. With the council dithering it is going to get al lot worse before it gets better? They cannot even make a decision as to what to do with the white elephant building behind the banks.

NAMA owns the "white elephant building". What lobbying by the locals has there been of them to put it up for sale?

Anyone know what all the ground works are for, beside the drive thru McDonald's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

beertons wrote: »
    Anyone know what all the ground works are for, beside the drive thru McDonald's?

Petrol station I think

In the Monread tonight. Very impressed. Place looks great and the bar menu is just massive. George Michael tribute no too bad either. Will definitely come again, especially since its 10 mins walk away lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cailindeasciun

Anyone know what's being built just before the entrance to craddockstown golf course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Anyone know what's being built just before the entrance to craddockstown golf course?

Charity shop or phone shop take your pick!!

Advertisement