Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

New housing estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Anyone know what's being built just before the entrance to craddockstown golf course?

There are new houses being built in Oakglade,just behind Naas Community College.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cailindeasciun

There are new houses being built in Oakglade,just behind Naas Community College.

Do you know how many are going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cailindeasciun

Water has stopped here in Monread, anyone know anything about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Water has stopped here in Monread, anyone know anything about it?

Burst pipe on the monread rd near Ted johnstons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Naas needs to clean up the facades on the main street and stop opening boutiques.

Finish the Nama Shopping Center and move the boutiques inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Naas needs to clean up the facades on the main street and stop opening boutiques.

I brought this up with James Lawless last year re the shop facades. Coming from the sign industry, its something I notice moreso.

I sited how the facade refurb at Gogartys 21 improved the look of the entire row of units along there. He did print something in his newsletter last year on trying to get landlords to take responsibility for the state of unused units.

In Sallins, there is a shop beside the pedestrian lights called ArmyShop. How they are getting away with keeping the building in that state is beyond me. There is still branding from the bookies there and its painted 3 different colours. Its a prominent building thats really bringing that part of the village down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I brought this up with James Lawless last year re the shop facades. Coming from the sign industry, its something I notice moreso.

I sited how the facade refurb at Gogartys 21 improved the look of the entire row of units along there. He did print something in his newsletter last year on trying to get landlords to take responsibility for the state of unused units.

In Sallins, there is a shop beside the pedestrian lights called ArmyShop. How they are getting away with keeping the building in that state is beyond me. There is still branding from the bookies there and its painted 3 different colours. Its a prominent building thats really bringing that part of the village down

God knows what is going on behind the counter at that shop. Bizarre set up.

Naas Mainstreet reminds me of " Angela's Ashes " with the exception of maybe a dozen shop fronts.

I also find it strange that boutique's are closing down every year and some people have the "Bright Idea" to open another one.

Kidare Village outlet murders these shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

where is the best car wash in Naas?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

thelawman wrote: »

There's 2 lads at the side of Hennessy's on the Sallins road. Or the group of lads near fruit 4 U on the Dublin road.

thelawman wrote: »

Also there are a group of lads at Top Tougher Oil Forecourt Newhall who do an excellent job. €10 you cant go wrong. I do be down at Petstop in the area and get the car washed on the way home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

beertons wrote: »
    There's 2 lads at the side of Hennessy's on the Sallins road. Or the group of lads near fruit 4 U on the Dublin road.
    I find this car wash excellent. Can be busy but they work quickly

Delphinium wrote: »
    I find this car wash excellent. Can be busy but they work quickly

I've left the van and numerous cars up there for a valet, at the far side, and the lads are very good. Reliable too. I had a pair of screw drivers removed from a door pocket, and only noticed it a few days later. Rang yer man, and he dropped them down to my house. Said he wasn't sure who took them out and what car they came from. But held on to them knowing someone would contact 're them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Those guys behind Hennessys won't be beaten, Quality work and dead honest, They look after all of my cars and jeeps and only use good chemicals for those concerned about paint condition , Busy place but that speaks for itself .
    Robert is the owner, Couldn't deal with better

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I can't find anything on this, but does anyone know what's being built in the carpark at Smyths/heatons?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

ChewChew wrote: »
    I can't find anything on this, but does anyone know what's being built in the carpark at Smyths/heatons?

I heard mention that Costa Coffee is planning on going there. That would make it 3 in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Yep, another Costa,

2 within a km of each other on the same road..

Exciting times...

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Thanks for the info lads! Does seem like a bit of a waste alright. In saying that, I've only been in the one at Tesco once and that was about 3 years ago but I'm sure there'll be plenty of punters happy about that addition. I did notice the same company with their signs up for it (Flynns) also seem to be working on the smyths unit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

So I ventured to The Monread this week for grub,
    Can't say the green leather would do much for the eye, Gives it more of a diner feel to it than a pub.
    The food, 6/10, It's just ok for pub grub , To its credit the menu is huge, I cant see them
    Sustaining that, The level of waste must be high.
    The waiting staff are like headless chickens, Some you can tell are new to it and some others you can tell have done it before,
    Overall it's a welcome addition to Naas as we lack somewhere for casual pub grub. Once the service sorts itself out it'll be an enjoyable place to go .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

MotorMike wrote: »
    So I ventured to The Monread this week for grub,
    Can't say the green leather would do much for the eye, Gives it more of a diner feel to it than a pub.
    The food, 6/10, It's just ok for pub grub , To its credit the menu is huge, I cant see them
    Sustaining that, The level of waste must be high.
    The waiting staff are like headless chickens, Some you can tell are new to it and some others you can tell have done it before,
    Overall it's a welcome addition to Naas as we lack somewhere for casual pub grub. Once the service sorts itself out it'll be an enjoyable place to go .

We were in there a week ago, wouldn't be in a hurry to return! Food is mediocre and the service is desperately poor, plates not cleared for 45 minutes etc and it not even that busy!

went in there last Sunday. Service was excellent, plenty staff on the floor and behind the bar and the place was full

Food was ok, not going to shout about it from the rooftops. But as a handy boozer 10min walk from the house I'm glad its re-opened now that my lads are well in their teens and we can get out in the evenings and the odd Sunday afternoon

Anybody been to this restaurant since it opened up?

Havent been for a curry in a while and it got a good write up on Kildare Now and their sister restaurant in Portlaoise is #1 on tripadvisor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Anybody been to this restaurant since it opened up?

Havent been for a curry in a while and it got a good write up on Kildare Now and their sister restaurant in Portlaoise is #1 on tripadvisor

Which restaurant?

Which restaurant?

Mayur

Anyone head down to the parade? I had to work, so missed it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Naas Man

Yea I went along to see it.
    Have to say it was poor, compared to previous years it was a lot lot smaller.
    There were only 6 walking groups!
    The GAA, 2 martial arts groups, a dance academy, and some others.
    The usual fleet of cars (Joe Mallon) Fleet of trucks (Naas Oil) (Hanlon Conc) (Kilsaran Conc) and the usual fleet of emergency vehicles.
    There were only 2 bands.
    I have to say the traders of the town were poor in their support of the event, the exception being Joe Mallon and Naas Oil, There were very few traders from the town for it's size. I'd be surprised if there will be a parade next year.
    I know business is not great in the town with rate increases and low foot fall in the town but they need to support events like this or they will loose more business. They have to speculate to accumulate!
    No McDonalds, Domino's, Hotels, with the exception of the Osprey which was a poor show and get so much business from the parade! Not one business from the main street. I think it's the beginning of the end. It can't go on if the business traders of the town don't support it.
    Rant over

6 walking groups. Says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Naas is not desperate, far from it actually, it just suffers from a load of whiny locals that don't use the town centre and give out about the state of it whilst heading out to Tesco in monread.

That's not the councils fault, it's your fault. Probably 90% of the stuff you'll buy in tesco can be got in the town but the only issue is Tesco is handy. You can decide to have a functional town or the the handy Tesco shopping experience but you can't have both because one kills the other.

Council rates and parking are a fallacy too. Shops will not open or stay open if people are not shopping in them and they're not, high rates don't help but they're not the main issue. There is also plenty of parking, so you might have to walk a bit further, you're an adult, that's what it takes, deal with it.

For all the negativity the town is generating there is a fantastic restaurant and bar selection in the town. As good as it gets really. Head in on Saturday morning and grab a coffee and read the paper. Maybe you've forgotten what it's like to have a stroll around, you might surprise yourself and enjoy it.

It's worth remembering that if the locals can't be ar.sed making an effort to shop in the town who exactly do you think is going to shop there, particularly when the rte news is telling the nation that its a dead sh1thole.

Balls in our court.

Sorry mate, but this is just sh!t talk from the top drawer. Your view and pontifying is actually a little baffling and certainly naïve!

Advertisement