Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Sorry mate, but this is just sh!t talk from the top drawer. Your view and pontifying is actually a little baffling and certainly naïve!

Naive fairytale stuff. John admitted he has only been in the town about ten years so he hasn't witnessed the drastic changes. A big town like Naas should be moving with the times. It is no coincidence that 90% of residents would disagree with this outlook.We live in a free willed society and councillors should be acknowledging what the freewill of residents amounts to and tackling same to reinvigorate the town. You can't just tell people what to do, there are reasons they are doing otherwise. People aren't stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Can I ask, what type of water there is around Naas? Soft, Medium or Hard?

Janine87 wrote: »
    Can I ask, what type of water there is around Naas? Soft, Medium or Hard?

It is soft where I am in the Monread area. Never had limescale in my kettle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

It is soft where I am in the Monread area. Never had limescale in my kettle here.

Likewise...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Sorry mate, but this is just sh!t talk from the top drawer. Your view and pontifying is actually a little baffling and certainly naïve!

Suggesting that locals shop in the town so it doesn't go to sh1t...

Baffling & naive, seriously???

It's hardly groundbreaking is it??

• Advertisement

Suggesting that locals shop in the town so it doesn't go to sh1t...

Baffling & naive, seriously???

It's hardly groundbreaking is it??

It isn't that, John. There obviously is reasons why people aren't shopping there. You can't just tell locals what to do, you need to entice them to do it. Address it. That is why you get town planners in.

If it was so easy as to send out a pamphlet to ask locals to shop there, bingo. But it isn't. There has to be enticing. The town doesn'[t even have a proper newsagent anymore! It needs features that will naturally drag consumers in. Organise little events maybe on a Saturday in the town, stuff like that. Make the town a more consumer friendly environment. Needs a proper Pennys or Dunnes, stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You get a proper Penneys or Dunnes in the town as mentioned above, its going to attract people in...fact
    Anyone with young kids would generally get a lot of clothes in the shops so its a no brainer. When my lads were younger my wife would be up in Newbridge Penneys a lot...the one in Naas just didn't have what she wanted
    Get something like this the rest falls into place.

The majority are not going in for their coffee and newspaper read. Forget that...

You get a proper Penneys or Dunnes in the town as mentioned above, its going to attract people in...fact
    Anyone with young kids would generally get a lot of clothes in the shops so its a no brainer. When my lads were younger my wife would be up in Newbridge Penneys a lot...the one in Naas just didn't have what she wanted
    Get something like this the rest falls into place.

The majority are not going in for their coffee and newspaper read. Forget that...

The town is dying on its feet and it's because people are not shopping there. There are simply other places that are easier to get to where you can get your stuff. It is what it is, it's happening in every town in the country, bigger, smaller whatever.

The reason there are no newsagents is because people didn't use the ones that were there. Commercial reality. No biggie.

The reason McDonald's is closing is most likely because people didn't use it. They used monread instead. That's fine too, let's face it, it's easier.

Penny's has been and gone, closed a shop already, owned a building on the main Street but didn't open it. I'm sure there are some complex reasons behind this but if there was money to be made they would I'm sure get over it.

50 other shops closed in 5 years for similar reasons. Barker and Jones will follow soon enough I'd say, only so long you can compete against the internet really.

This is a fact, it's happening and has been for some time. Same everywhere.

We even went on the news and told everyone how sh1t Naas is which I'm sure has Margaret heffernan chomping at the bit to open a shop in the town. Dead towns do not attract great new shops.

You say that it's not as simple as a leaflet drop. Perhaps. People are free to do what they want as you pointed out but sometimes they need reminding of what's at stake. A targeted campaign may not be the magic bullet but it's something.

You want event stuff in the town. Great. But it should be noted that the events in the town already aren't exactly wedging the place either. The punchestown festival in the town is gone, Easter parade is poor for crowds, the concert at the harbour a few years back was dead. There is also the council day, the wild food festival, kids day in St David's, country market in the town hall, farmers market etc etc. Maybe they're not your cup of tea but they can't all be.

If they put a red carpet to your door and had can can girls lining the streets as you strolled into town on a Saturday morning the fact is you will still be looking at the same shops. It isn't making a difference at the moment, it most likely won't if you add more events or the effect won't be enough. What will make a difference is people using the shops, even a little more often.

I've been accused of talking sh1t, being naive, my opinions being baffling and probably more.
    Well there is nothing baffling and naive about this, while you are waiting for other people to make the town a more pleasant place for you to visit on the odd occasion, all the remaining good stuff will close. Too late then. No point in doing postmortems about how great the town used to be years ago or how it all happened in the first place.

The invitation you're waiting for will never come. It's a minimal effort when you think about it.

By "you" I mean average apathetic local person.

Appreciate the discussion.

Eh, The Punchestown festival still brings in plenty of visitors, all the licenced premises have some sort of shindig. There was never anything more than that to it bar a fairground, things like that?

It isn't that "minimal an effort" for many to go in to shop there.

Perhaps you live a walking distance from the town, maybe your schedule allows you to have a Saturday stroll and coffee, others, it may not. Life for many is about convenience and if you can't get the stuff you require (affordable clothing, luxury clothing, entertainment accessories etc) why would you go drinking coffee in the town and hope that these sort of shops eventually come.

You probably didn't live in Naas at the time but Naas had a carpark which facilitated 200 cars where the "lump of concrete and cranes" is now . That is gone now. That was such a great facility for those "running in to Naas to do a bit of shopping"

Whitewater sucked the life out of Naas and Naas never fought back due to a mixture of factors associated with the unfinished shopping centre.

Everyone knows that the Council has certain blame on their hands for that lump of concrete shadowing the main street There are the usual politician toned promises of "we are in negotiations" and "a resolution is imminent" but it has been delayed because the local council is attempting to purchase a parcel of land at the site, which has resulted in a long arbitration process.
    They have also continuously pulled out of said arbitration meetings, which is slowing down the sale.
    There is talk of negotiations to allow for 120 parking spaces to be opened on the site whilst the negotiations go on and they try to offload it to a buyer

It was far too ambitious of a project anyway, it needed to be scaled back. Perhaps then the developers wouldn't have hit the brick wall they have.

People are deterred by private parking, and there isn't even enough of that!

The fact of the matter is, they need to sort out that concrete jungle and a lot will fall into place thereafter. So The Council need to be putting maximum effort into it and certainly not, at the minimum, be pulling out of important arbitration meetings which are slowing down the process.Until then, there is no competing with Big Tesco and The Whitewater!

Consumerism is vastly different now, there will never be these shopping mainstreets again, like the past. Big shopping centres, Industrial shopping parks and retail outlets, Lidl and Aldis that set up on the edge of the towns and Super Tesco stores and of course internet shopping has changed the face of consumerism today, so ,like you, my idealistic hopes emanating from reminiscing from the "old days" are equally naive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I see the Credit Union is changing it's name next year.

No surprise considering it's expanded geographical reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I see the Credit Union is changing it's name next year.

No surprise considering it's expanded geographical reach.

they are completely rebranding next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

they are completely rebranding next year?

Yup, same as most other credit unions that have merged. Clane/Coill Dubh etc is now Croí Laighean since they all joined up with Edenderry etc

What's the current name of the takeaway/restaurant in town where great city used to be. I know it changed to nasi or something but I think it's changed agai.

Anyone eaten there in its current incarnation, or the new Indian mayur??

Might try something new this evening. Wish me luck...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What's the current name of the takeaway/restaurant in town where great city used to be. I know it changed to nasi or something but I think it's changed agai.

Anyone eaten there in its current incarnation, or the new Indian mayur??

Might try something new this evening. Wish me luck...

I think Lex ate in Mayur, the one above Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

beertons wrote: »
    I think Lex ate in Mayur, the one above Boots.

He mayur may not have...

He mayur may not have...

Glorious... 😀

Serious thumbs up for mayur. Takeaway was very good. Not a single complaint. Will go again.

Absolutely worth a try...

On a side note, we watched the Birth of a Nation whilst eating. Depressing grim stuff it has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Anyone been to Rustic yet where Tony Roma's used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Anyone been to Rustic yet where Tony Roma's used to be?

Mixed reviews on Facebook after a quick look

• Advertisement

haven't been to Mayur yet but plan to shortly. Good to hear positive reviews. I'll be bringing a few UK colleagues who know a good curry when they see one so opefully its good.

The Ivy closing today. Staff told over the weekend.

wow, they didn't last long....

Lex Luthor wrote: »

wow, they didn't last long....

Longer than it should have. It was an awful layout, awful design. No character, Got a bad irreversible reputation quickly due to the clientele, music was terrible and the food during the day was very average. Bouncers were di$ks.

Had the competition of The Court and One New Row that end of the town which didn't help.

The marble effect and those awful hanging lights, not sure what they were thinking.

Longer than it should have. It was an awful layout, awful design. No character, Got a bad irreversible reputation quickly due to the clientele, music was terrible and the food during the day was very average. Bouncers were di$ks.

Had the competition of The Court and One New Row that end of the town which didn't help.

The marble effect and those awful hanging lights, not sure what they were thinking.

Wasnt my cup of tea anyways.

Naas Main street really needs planning and development ( Any that bloody Shopping Center needs sorting)

So what actually looks nice on the mainstreet

1. One New Row
    2. The Candied Walnut
    3. Rustic
    4. SuperValue
    5. Jolly
    6. Barker & Jones
    7. Nolans

You can add to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Naas Main street really needs planning and development ( Any that bloody Shopping Center needs sorting)

1. One New Row
    2. The Candied Walnut
    3. Rustic
    4. SuperValue
    5. Jolly
    6. Barker & Jones
    7. Nolans

You can add to the list

8. Haydes
    9. Donal's

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

1. One New Row
    2. The Candied Walnut
    3. Rustic
    4. SuperValue
    5. Jolly
    6. Barker & Jones
    7. Nolans

You can add to the list

The little courtyard with Alice's and Fabucci and Benetton

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Hi gang any idea where to get baby passport photos done?
    We were told they do them in the big Tesco but when we went in the guy said we have to do them ourselves at Home with baby on white blanket and then just give them to him!!!! And he would edit etc?

Hi gang any idea where to get baby passport photos done?
    We were told they do them in the big Tesco but when we went in the guy said we have to do them ourselves at Home with baby on white blanket and then just give them to him!!!! And he would edit etc?

Mainstreet Naas

http://fujiphoto.ie/passport-id/

FUJIFILM NAAS
    1 South Main Street
    Naas
    Co.Kildare
    Tel: 045-874275
    Email: naasphoto@gmail.com

www.facebook.com/fujifilmnaas

• Advertisement

You can do them at your home with a baby (preferably your own) on white blanket and give them to a guy in Tesco and he will edit etc.......

Sorry, had to!!

Not a clue but is there any reason you can't do that? Never thought about it!

Advertisement