Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bbnaas

What the town is missing is proper parking signs - ok for locals who know where the car parks are but for visitors impossible. Take restaurants at the top of the town like Candied Walnut with a large car park behind them but no signs to tell drivers the car park is there. People will pay for parking, it's normal practice, but if they can't find somewhere to park local business suffers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Bbnaas wrote: »
    What the town is missing is proper parking signs - ok for locals who know where the car parks are but for visitors impossible. Take restaurants at the top of the town like Candied Walnut with a large car park behind them but no signs to tell drivers the car park is there. People will pay for parking, it's normal practice, but if they can't find somewhere to park local business suffers

That's very true. It's something Ireland in general does not address. One problem in Naas is the number of privately owned car parks. For example the one you mentioned, who should put up and pay for the sign? The council? Should the sign indicate that clamping is in force? Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HonalD wrote: »
    But any that requires statutory approval is approved by elected members, often against the advice of the officials. But clearly, for example, asking to put a sign, is not a request that should be suggested and decided upon by politicians, or is there that much faith in our elected members, whether locally or nationally?

Considering the unsafe or incompetent signage positioning/content often done by KCC, again, I'd trust the councillors over the "professionals" every day. We can not elect the councillors but we're stuck with arrogant incompetent lifers in the permanent staff

L1011 wrote: »
    But any that requires statutory approval is approved by elected members, often against the advice of the officials. But clearly, for example, asking to put a sign, is not a request that should be suggested and decided upon by politicians, or is there that much faith in our elected members, whether locally or nationally?

Considering the unsafe or incompetent signage positioning/content often done by KCC, again, I'd trust the councillors over the "professionals" every day. We can not elect the councillors but we're stuck with arrogant incompetent lifers in the permanent staff

Well @L1011 you're nothing if not consistent in your opinions. Given how sweeping your statement is, I hope you never have to rely on an arrogant and incompetent Firefighter for example.

As for trusting politicians, you are in a very minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never encountered one of those. Seems to be a mostly isolated issue to staff in Devoy

There are levels of trust and KCC have earned none by their general lack or competence and treatment of the north of the county

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Never encountered one of those. Seems to be a mostly isolated issue to staff in Devoy

There are levels of trust and KCC have earned none by their general lack or competence and treatment of the north of the county

So, instead of generalising your abuse, you've narrowed it down to a couple of hundred public servants. Hmmm

I don't think many people in County Kildare are happy with their lot. Plenty of issues in Athy, Newbridge and Naas - I don't see any special award of injustice going to residents of the "oppressed" north of the county.

Public sector bashing is an easy excuse but if you review the legislation then you'd appreciate that politicians should shoulder as much, if not more, of the blame for any public ire. After all, even the "incompetent", whoever they are, are bound by laws, development plans and regulations......voted in by politicians. That's what you get in a democracy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was talking to a chef today in Dublin, who was raving about Rustic. Both the pasta and pizza are worth the trip he said. He didn't offer to babysit for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

beertons wrote: »
    I was talking to a chef today in Dublin, who was raving about Rustic. Both the pasta and pizza are worth the trip he said. He didn't offer to babysit for me though.

I was there a few weeks ago for lunch. It was absolutely delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

That's very true. It's something Ireland in general does not address. One problem in Naas is the number of privately owned car parks. For example the one you mentioned, who should put up and pay for the sign? The council? Should the sign indicate that clamping is in force? Etc.

Co-ordinated signage would be of immense benefit along with the word "spaces" or "full".

It should be installed by the council as they get paid plenty of rates by both businesses and the carparks.

This would also aid traffic flow as people won't be going on wild goose chases looking for space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

went 2 weeks ago on a Sat night....the pizzas are great...got the Meat one

the place is very well run and service is top quality

Will be going back again

• Advertisement

Did anyone head out to Punchestown at the weekend? Good buzz about the town I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Another blow to the town. Another established retailer Alo Donegan on the Newbridge Road is to close after 75 years this week.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/local-news/262727/naas-electrical-retailer-alo-donegan-to-close.html

And it also seems Swan's and Goulding's Hardware are going to lose most of their parking spaces, as 6 of the 9 elected councilors voted in favour of cycle lanes. Will they survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

No one said it was. But that doesn't make it something to just brush over.
    I've lived in around Naas all my life. I know the issues it has.

Bringing Liffey Valley Shopping Centre into it has no bearing on the specific issue resolved Naas parking.

There hasn't been all the problems you are suggesting lime staff taking spaces and people leaving car overnight to any near serious level so apart from council greed the decision to reverse the free parking well outweighs any pros to same decision.

According to the Kildare Times it's the traders that looked for pay parking to be reintroduced on Saturdays.

Joe Public wrote: »
    According to the Kildare Times it's the traders that looked for pay parking to be reintroduced on Saturdays.

Which traders? I met 3 different ones down the town today, all small business owners, and they're struggling big time. Each of them pointed to the parking, which is driving their customer base to tesco extra and Liffey valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Which traders? I met 3 different ones down the town today, all small business owners, and they're struggling big time. Each of them pointed to the parking, which is driving their customer base to tesco extra and Liffey valley.

Parking is certainly an issue. But its availability of parking rather than a charge that is the issue.

As in other posts, proper signage combined with a small reasonable charge is the very best option for all.

Joe Public wrote: »

Sorry but using "parking" as an excuse that your customer is driving to Liffey Valley is lame, to put it mildly. If I want something in Naas Town Centre, I drive or walk to Naas Town Centre for it. Hederman's car park has spaces available except if a market event is held there, for example. The Town Centre car park is also never full.
    When on street parking is free, business owners and some lazy customers park for extended periods for free thereby denying other customers access to on street parking spaces. It's a stupid idea to have free parking all day and anyone who uses its rightful abolition as an excuse for "damaging" the local economy is ill informed and plainly wrong.
    (P.s. Ask any fellow boarders living in Maynooth about the positive introduction of pay parking on Main Street viz-a-viz freeing up on street spaces if you need to)
    Thanks.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    But its availability of parking rather than a charge that is the issue.

Of course more parking spaces would be nice and will be when the shopping centre is redeveloped but there is no time of the day where there are no parking spaces available in Naas Town Centre, ever. Anyone who doesn't believe that, send an foi into the Council and ask for their parking count data.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sorry but using "parking" as an excuse that your customer is driving to Liffey Valley is lame, to put it mildly. If I want something in Naas Town Centre, I drive or walk to Naas Town Centre for it. Hederman's car park has spaces available except if a market event is held there, for example. The Town Centre car park is also never full.
    When on street parking is free, business owners and some lazy customers park for extended periods for free thereby denying other customers access to on street parking spaces. It's a stupid idea to have free parking all day and anyone who uses its rightful abolition as an excuse for "damaging" the local economy is ill informed and plainly wrong.
    (P.s. Ask any fellow boarders living in Maynooth about the positive introduction of pay parking on Main Street viz-a-viz freeing up on street spaces if you need to)
    Thanks.

It's rare that you would need something in naas town centre that's not available out in Tesco. 9/10 I'm driving out to Tesco, why should I have to pay to park my car just for the privilege of shopping in their shops?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    It's rare that you would need something in naas town centre that's not available out in Tesco. 9/10 I'm driving out to Tesco, why should I have to pay to park my car just for the privilege of shopping in their shops?

Maybe because you don't want the town to die. All those shops are paying very high rates and giving employment. Fast forward a few years and you will have a ghost town. Then the Council will have to sing for it's funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

It needs a shopping centre of some type in the middle of it!
    Until this happens Naas Town centre will continue to decline.
    Simple.

I live in Naas and very rarely go downtown. I either go to Monread Shopping Centre or Liffey Valley.

When they open that half built shopping centre in the town centre and has plenty of parking and has that decent large plaza style entrance at the bank of Ireland, things will change I guarantee you!

But until that happens I can't see things improving.

The council are to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Just on this, I was in navan last week. Navan shopping centre right in the middle of town, the town was absolutely buzzing with life with plenty of parking at the shopping centre.

Now im no expert on navan or what kind of town it is but it struck me how busy the place was and how similar in layout the town could be to naas as regards a vibrant shopping centre in the middle of town

What's the best bus from Dublin to Naas late on Saturday night/morning?

Also a bus into Dublin Saturday evening?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

why should I have to pay to park my car just for the privilege of shopping in their shops?

I'm not sure what you're point is on this one.

pad199207 wrote: »
    It needs a shopping centre of some type in the middle of it!
    Until this happens Naas Town centre will continue to decline.
    Simple.

I live in Naas and very rarely go downtown. I either go to Monread Shopping Centre or Liffey Valley.

When they open that half built shopping centre in the town centre and has plenty of parking and has that decent large plaza style entrance at the bank of Ireland, things will change I guarantee you!

But until that happens I can't see things improving.

The council are to blame.

With regard to your last point, is that not NAMA who is to blame?

I'm not sure what you're point is on this one.

Point is that when I'm going shopping, if I've to pay in the town for parking but it's free out at Tesco then I'm going to go out to Tesco, why pay when I don't need to.

Also it's not just the paying, parking is extremely limited in the town and when I find a spot then I need to go pay for it, possibly have to get change first before doing so.

If they want people back in the town centres then they need to insentivise it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Naas Main street looks like what it looks like.

A run down area that is frozen in time.

To buy electrical equipment - Harvey Norman or Power City

To buy boutique clothes - Kildare Village

To Buy food - Tesco - Aldi- Lidl

Home and Garden Stuff - Woodies, B&Q

Kids toys - Smyths

All of the above is outside the main street . The loyal customers who were shopping on the main street have aged.

The main street would need to be cleared and modernized from top to bottom so flagship stores who need the space can move in.

If nothing is done then the mainstreet will be populated ( which has already started ) as follows.

Euro shops

Hair Dressers

Charity shops

Computer repair

Take aways

What's the best bus from Dublin to Naas late on Saturday night/morning?

Also a bus into Dublin Saturday evening?

The Nitelink runs at 12:30am and 3:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

The Nitelink runs at 12:30am and 3:30am

If your stuck or unable to get a bus direct from dublin
    my fail safe is the dublin coach from the red cow luas

it leaves the luas every hr at 10 to the hour (approx)
    several options to get to the luas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Anyone know where I can find Alder cones in Naas and what time of the season they are available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

micks wrote: »
    If your stuck or unable to get a bus direct from dublin
    my fail safe is the dublin coach from the red cow luas

it leaves the luas every hr at 10 to the hour (approx)
    several options to get to the luas

Is this the Aircoach service or something else?

Advertisement