Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

MotorMike wrote: »
    Alot of the trouble is people traveling from other towns further town the line with stations with empty car parks but those people are availing of cheaper train rates from Sallins .

Speaking of empty car parks, is there any sign of the underground car park at super value reopening?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Where do they expect people to park, then all the car parks are full?

See the caravans are gone from the big ball area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Alot of the trouble is people traveling from other towns further town the line with stations with empty car parks but those people are availing of cheaper train rates from Sallins .

While that might be the case, if it is the natural flow of things, it should be accommodated and planned for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

beertons wrote: »

See the caravans are gone from the big ball area too.

And what did the aftermath look like?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

And what did the aftermath look like?

Oh you'd know they were there all right, not as much rubbish as I'd have thought given the numbers of vans there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

hero001 wrote: »
    Speaking of empty car parks, is there any sign of the underground car park at super value reopening?

If it did I’d be very wary of parking there. There was a lot of vandalism as far as I remember. That’s been closed for years now - probably a right mess down there. I can’t remember what year it was closed in, come to think. Over 6 years ago at least?

I used to commute by train Monday to Friday, my train was before 7am (Sallins that is) and there was hardly any spaces beside the station occupied at that hour.

After not commuting via train for the last 3+ years, I’m back at it again and omg - the car park at the station is half full by 7am. Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

GavMan wrote: »

While that might be the case, if it is the natural flow of things, it should be accommodated and planned for.
    You couldn't say that it is a "natural flow of things". 
    What is interesting is the expectation that facilities should be provided.  Should the public transport operator provide more parking spaces because its services are over capacity? Should the local authority provide more parking spaces to facilitate commuters who are not contributing to the local economy (in terms that they are parking at Sallins and leaving their vehicle all day there and working in Dublin)? And is the fact that parking is free encouraging the problem?

coffeepls wrote: »
    hero001 wrote: »

If it did I’d be very wary of parking there. There was a lot of vandalism as far as I remember. That’s been closed for years now - probably a right mess down there. I can’t remember what year it was closed in, come to think. Over 6 years ago at least?

I used to commute by train Monday to Friday, my train was before 7am (Sallins that is) and there was hardly any spaces beside the station occupied at that hour.

After not commuting via train for the last 3+ years, I’m back at it again and omg - the car park at the station is half full by 7am. Mental.
    Is the car park being half full by 7am such a bad thing?

HonalD wrote: »

Yes for commuters that don’t travel early. I hadn’t realised how busy the station had become. I used to arrive in the car park for my 6.50 train (a few years back) as the train was arriving on the platform. Always the mad dash panic for me. Anyway - I frequently just parked and legged it. There was usually all of around 10 cars max in the car park, if that. It’s really changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

From what I have read the underground carpark opened in 2008 and closed within 2 years. It was built by the developer of the waterways as a condition of their planning. They expected Irish rail to take over management of it once it was built, but this never happened. Once the developer when under it was closed, as they did not want to spend money on it. I'm sure that does need money spent on it to bring it back into use.

They then stared to charge for above ground parking parking in the wateways. Given the extra demand, there must be a case to reopen it, it most have costs millions to built in the first place.

Given the demand, I would expect that it would be more cost effective to open this, as against building a new car park.

Anyone know how many spaces are down their. I would guess 50 plus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

What is interesting is the expectation that facilities should be provided.  Should the public transport operator provide more parking spaces because its services are over capacity? Should the local authority provide more parking spaces to facilitate commuters who are not contributing to the local economy (in terms that they are parking at Sallins and leaving their vehicle all day there and working in Dublin)? And is the fact that parking is free encouraging the problem?

Is it happening regularly that others travel to Sallins to use the train from beyond Naas? Be it for cheaper fares or whatever? If so then it is, perhaps not natural, but then part of the regular flow of passengers through the station.

I do not know where the responsibility lies but there would be an onus on Irish Rail to provide sufficient facilities for their patrons and the for KCC to provide sufficient car parking for its tax payers (assuming they pay their LPT to KCC).

As for contributing to the local economy, thats a pretty narrow view you've taken their. Commuters may earn their money in Dublin, but its safe to assume that the vast majority of commuters spend the majority of their income in the local economy. So you might say its in the people of Kildares best interests that commuters parking needs are catered for.

It also takes cars off the road which is again good for the economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I'm starting a new job next week and plan on commuting from Sallins,how easy is it to find a space in the Waterways car park around 7:30?

I'm starting a new job next week and plan on commuting from Sallins,how easy is it to find a space in the Waterways car park around 7:30?

There’s not too many spaces in the car park that’s shared with SuperValu, I’d say that’s the first car park to be full. Give yourself an extra 10mins the first day you travel so you have time to familiarise yourself to where people are parking at that hour & find a space. There’s a couple of ‘waterways’ car park areas. I’d say you’ll be fine. It’s park by text too. Get the app. So handy when you’re late for the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

You will be lucky if you get one. I travel on the 6.50 from Sallins to Heuston and at that stage the car parks are fairly full. Some commuters from Newbridge are driving to the station as it is cheaper to travel from there

If you are living in Naas there is a feeder bus serving the station. Details of times are on the Portlaoise to Dublin Heuston/Grand Canal Dock timetable, which is available below.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/16_dublin-portlaoise_valind_from_20112016.pdf

cunnijo wrote: »

You will be lucky if you get one. I travel on the 6.50 from Sallins to Heuston and at that stage the car parks are fairly full. Some commuters from Newbridge are driving to the station as it is cheaper to travel from there

If you are living in Naas there is a feeder bus serving the station. Details of times are on the Portlaoise to Dublin Heuston/Grand Canal Dock timetable, which is available below.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/16_dublin-portlaoise_valind_from_20112016.pdf
    I was just about to ask why everyone posting wants to drive to the station. The feeder bus is highly recommended and anyone who uses it is very satisfied with the service. But in fairness, you do need to be on the route or connect onto it.

Yes for commuters that don’t travel early. I hadn’t realised how busy the station had become. I used to arrive in the car park for my 6.50 train (a few years back) as the train was arriving on the platform. Always the mad dash panic for me. Anyway - I frequently just parked and legged it. There was usually all of around 10 cars max in the car park, if that. It’s really changed.
    Would you be happy to pay more, if this price increase resulted in less spaces occupied before you arrive? I can't think of any other way of freeing up spaces based on arrival times, without capital investment.

GavMan wrote: »

I do not know where the responsibility lies but there would be an onus on Irish Rail to provide sufficient facilities for their patrons and the for KCC to provide sufficient car parking for its tax payers (assuming they pay their LPT to KCC).

As for contributing to the local economy, thats a pretty narrow view you've taken their. Commuters may earn their money in Dublin, but its safe to assume that the vast majority of commuters spend the majority of their income in the local economy. So you might say its in the people of Kildares best interests that commuters parking needs are catered for.

It also takes cars off the road which is again good for the economy
    Perhaps Irish Rail don't mind how you get to their service and with regard to my point on the local economy, I wasn't expressing a narrow view. I was asking if the Local Authority should use it's resources to facilitate commuters who will spend the working day outside it's area (with no direct contribution to the local economy for that duration). Should Dublin City Council fund the car parking?
    The support for the time restricted on-street parking must be based on freeing up spaces for local use as opposed for facilitating commuters. So it's clearly not in the best interests of the Sallins businesses near the canal to cater for commuters.
    Opening a larger dedicated long stay car park for commuters would benefit commuters and local users alike, but what I was asking was who should pay for it? And what price point is appropriate for commuters to pay.
    Your last point is interesting and deserves a debate of it's own!

Well - for me personally, as I’m only using the car park once a week, and I’m pretty early, means parking isn’t an issue.

It might not be a bad idea having a dozen spaces that are beside the station costing a higher rate of a tenner for a day. Just so as there might be somewhere to park (I’m thinking of the very latecomers or midday travellers) that a daily commuter is less likely to use.

It’d be nice if the proceeds of parking did go back into the local area somehow as well. Surely zilch is going back to the local area at the moment. Maybe SuperValu gets some extra customers, but that’s about all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I was just about to ask why everyone posting wants to drive to the station. The feeder bus is highly recommended and anyone who uses it is very satisfied with the service. But in fairness, you do need to be on the route or connect onto it.

I'm aware of the feeder service, but it would be a walk of about 20 minutes to get to the post office.I believe it picks up in a number of spots around the town?Big problem seems to be that it operates on an almost "word of mouth basis" - if you download the correct pdf from the Irish Rail website it indicates which services connect with the feeder bus, but there is no information otherwise.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll try leaving for the station early and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of Naas Community National School? My daughter has been offered a place there, but we are struggling to find any information about the school.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

hognef wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of Naas Community National School? My daughter has been offered a place there, but we are struggling to find any information about the school.

Thanks in advance.

Is there an open day or could you request a tour with the principal? We are I the same situation with another school but it's like pulling hens teeth trying to find info on most schools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

According to James lawless' latest blurb, the business taking over the remaining buildings in the waterways have pledged to open the underground car park. See what the future holds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Was there any more news on the Naas to blanchardstown Bus service?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

Was there any more news on the Naas to blanchardstown Bus service?

End of March 2018 per Kildare news web

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

you2008 wrote: »
    End of March 2018 per Kildare news web

Is Dublin Bus operating this route ?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

pad199207 wrote: »
    Is Dublin Bus operating this route ?

Don’t think so. Dublin bus don’t even go to kilkock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Does anybody know what parish covers the Sunday's Well estate?

Need to contact them to get a Letter Of Freedom for marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Does anybody know what parish covers the Sunday's Well estate?

Need to contact them to get a Letter Of Freedom for marriage.

The Parish is Naas,Sallins & Two Mile House. However the nearest church is the Church of the Irish Martyrs in Ballycane. It has a parish office that opens AM only. The main parish office is located on the Sallins Road.

As you are looking for a letter of freedom it may be better to contact Fr. Liam Morgan PP. His phone number along with all the priests in the parish will be on the weekly newsletter available from all churches or on http://www.naasparish.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

cunnijo wrote: »
    The Parish is Naas,Sallins & Two Mile House. However the nearest church is the Church of the Irish Martyrs in Ballycane. It has a parish office that opens AM only. The main parish office is located on the Sallins Road.

As you are looking for a letter of freedom it may be better to contact Fr. Liam Morgan PP. His phone number along with all the priests in the parish will be on the weekly newsletter available from all churches or on http://www.naasparish.ie.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 timeout11

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a house cleaner that serves the Naas area.
    We're looking for someone to do a bit of housework/ironing on a biweekly basis

Thanks!

Advertisement