Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

beertons wrote: »
    I collect on my road. 31 houses. Have got it up to 22 paid as of last year. Some renters don't understand. And they don't inform their landlords. Key for me is to know their first name when they answer the door, and just a brief chat about what you'd like to do in the estate for the following year. I wanted to have a bbq after a clean up, but was shot down, as it would bring out all the non payers for the food. I might go down the line of showing all the houses, the list from the previous years, of who paid and who didn't. We need to get the funds in this year, as the tree's need to be cut back, and those guys ain't cheap.

Yeah there are a couple of people who have lived there since day one, and for reason or another have a grudge against everyone and won't contribute out of principle ( god knows what)

I'm due to go out this evening, but rather than asking directly for the money, I might just layout what the plans are, build up a rapport like you say, and let them know I'll be back around in a couple of weeks. The rentees are an issue as they really aren't in the mindset or looking after their area.

I was trying to think of some kind of benefit for the contributor for those paying, but simply its just for cutting the grass. Its not some kind of club that gives benefits. It just seems to be the same people that want to contribute and help with a tidy up, and the others have no interest whatsoever

CeilingFly wrote: »
    The difference between a management fee written into the purchase contract and a residents assoc collecting a self imposed fee is immense.

There's simply no obligation you can put on residents, but you can make it attractive to join the association with events, neighbourhood watch, annual collection of large items - all of which apply to paid members only.

But naming / shaming is an absolute no no and a legal minefield.

You could simply have a members list and circulate that :)

That might be an idea to come up with benefits to help paying members alright - an extra payment could allow someone to go to the dump with large items in a van every month or something... Or build a composting area for green waste for use by paid members

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I did a thing the year before last, where every house that had paid by the end of April went into a draw. And using random number generator, the winner got their fee's refunded. Got shot down though running it again.

Have you a residents association facebook page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Do these houses have gardens?

Also do they all have a patch of grass outside there house?

Do these houses have gardens?

Also do they all have a patch of grass outside there house?

Some do and some don't Honkey Tonk. The cutting that we get done is a large green area infront of the houses. However he doesn't do the grass verges on the other side of the path.

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    I did a thing the year before last, where every house that had paid by the end of April went into a draw. And using random number generator, the winner got their fee's refunded. Got shot down though running it again.

Have you a residents association facebook page?

Don't have a facebook page, I would question how helpful that will be tbh. There is a wide age range in the estate and may not be on Facebook. I think before we get stuck into this for the year, I may produce a financial report on receipts from lawnmowing and how much was colelcted. Make it transparent as possible.

We also have a bank account which we get the grant paid into. Maybe people could set up a standing order of €5 a week for 10 weeks. Might soften the blow of coming up with the €50 at once?

I'm off facebook for Lent, no laughing please, so I imagine there were a few pics of snowmen stuck up there. We have an Easter Egg hunt every year, resident postman hides all the eggs in the hedges, and they stick up pics. Notifications of the agm, who if any were elected. Hasn't been any change in years. It's open for all to attend in the Monread lodge, but it's always a poor turn out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Dread Pirate Roberts

Drove through recently. What happened to the town!
    Its not vibrant any more.Seems soulless

Drove through recently. What happened to the town!
    Its not vibrant any more.Seems soulless

probably all the snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

Naas getting massive.

I got a flyer in the door for this place today http://www.daft.ie/kildare/new-homes-for-sale/castle-farm-naas-kildare-92000/

And i found out there is a new estate going up the blessington road for 400 houses. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G15uwhBCZQsJ:https://www.kildarenow.com/news/huge-new-estate-naas-almost-400-homes-given-green-light-bord-pleanala/147139+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

So if population of Naas is about 21k, and with all these estates going up, i can think of at least 5, i reckon population will go to about 30k people easily.

I would be grateful for peoples views on this. Good to know the town wont die, as more footfall to shops, and clubs wont close down due to lack of people, but is this going to be mad pressure on already full schools. And could it lead to anti-social behaviour. Clondalkin and Tallaght got very big quick without facilities to keep people occupied. Its going to be hard to sell and get out of naas when there is a massive supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There's 1800 new homes in the pipeline for the next 5 years in Naas Town. Certainly will put pressure on the facilities/services in the town. I'm imagine most will be commuting into the city putting even more pressure on the N7 which isn't fit for purpose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    There's 1800 new homes in the pipeline for the next 5 years in Naas Town. .

woah, guessing an average of 4 people in each, population up by 50% in 5 years!!!!!!!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

sdraobs wrote: »
    woah, guessing an average of 4 people in each, population up by 50% in 5 years!!!!!!!

:eek:

100 % x 1800 x 4 / 21000 = 34%

Edit: the highest average number of occupants per household, for any county, is 3.0 (Meath), according to the CSO (2011 numbers). For Kildare, the number is 2.9.

Replacing 4 with 3 above gives 25.5% growth.

Newer estates do tend to have younger populations, but I can't imagine it'll be way off the average within 5 years (plenty of people buy in preparation of starting families, not only once they already have two kids).

This places the growth somewhere between 25% and 34%. My guess would be towards the lower end.

Sorry when I meant town I meant area including Johnstown, sallins, pipers Hill etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Sorry when I meant town I meant area including Johnstown, sallins, pipers Hill etc.

In that case, scratch my elaborate calculations...

Noticed that Borzas chipper up opposite super valu at new row has closed already. Anyone know what’s going in it’s place?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Noticed that Borzas chipper up opposite super valu at new row has closed already. Anyone know what’s going in it’s place?

Looks to be undergoing a re-fit minus the seating area. Genoa takeaway in Sallins all seems to have closed down, Was always busy and good food, Bit unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Mr lins over the post office is closed too. Was a sign up a few weeks ago saying they were closing for a couple of weeks for personal reasons or something similar. Menu at the door taken down now.

Borza open again in April apparently.

Got the menu in from papaya (weeping thaiger) the other day. Indian, Chinese and Thai all in the one place. Absolutely colossal menu. Hard to imagine fresh cooked food with that amount to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

The market house beside the library has a planning notice on it for a bar/restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Got the menu in from papaya (weeping thaiger) the other day. Indian, Chinese and Thai all in the one place. Absolutely colossal menu. Hard to imagine fresh cooked food with that amount to choose from.
    Not that difficult - just different spices. Though I much prefer small menus as its easier to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The food safety authority have been in Naas recently. One very popular chinese was closed for a few days and told to get cleaned up. I wonder did Mr Lin get a visit, too!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The food safety authority have been in Naas recently. One very popular chinese was closed for a few days and told to get cleaned up.

Fsa do not visit premises. Its the hse. And their permanent office is in millennium park. They have a full-time person covering Naas / Newbridge at all times.

But sure start a malicious rumour and defame a place because of idiotic made up bs.

The smoke police are out there too. They don't like me. I get alot of letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’ve heard Romayos is going in there. It’s being leased out to them.

Anyone buy or view the houses up in Stoneleigh?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Anyone buy or view the houses up in Stoneleigh?

Didn't view, they look well built though.

What time is the parade on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

sdraobs wrote: »
    Naas getting massive.

I got a flyer in the door for this place today http://www.daft.ie/kildare/new-homes-for-sale/castle-farm-naas-kildare-92000/

And i found out there is a new estate going up the blessington road for 400 houses. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G15uwhBCZQsJ:https://www.kildarenow.com/news/huge-new-estate-naas-almost-400-homes-given-green-light-bord-pleanala/147139+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

So if population of Naas is about 21k, and with all these estates going up, i can think of at least 5, i reckon population will go to about 30k people easily.

I would be grateful for peoples views on this. Good to know the town wont die, as more footfall to shops, and clubs wont close down due to lack of people, but is this going to be mad pressure on already full schools. And could it lead to anti-social behaviour. Clondalkin and Tallaght got very big quick without facilities to keep people occupied. Its going to be hard to sell and get out of naas when there is a massive supply.

If you look at the slides from the recent workshop by the Naas Planning Advisory Group (link below) on the new local area plan, they quote a current population of 21,493. Given that this plan will not cover areas such as Sallins, Johnstown etc, it suggests that this is the population of Naas Town only.

Slide 51 suggested that the population may grow to 50,000 by 2040. This may be on the upper end of the range, but is does suggest that doubling the size of the town in the next 20 years is not out of the question.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/NaasLAP2018-2024/Stage1-Pre-DraftStage//

Anyone got any opinions on the new inner relief road between the Dublin road and the Blessington road.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PublicConsultations-Part8Schemes/RoadsandTransportation/NaasInnerReliefRoad/Naas%20Inner%20Relief%20Brochure%20D.pdf

I would have thought that the relief road should come off the initial roundabout thereby taking cars off the Dublin road which is just one lane.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

Anyone got any opinions on the new inner relief road between the Dublin road and the Blessington road.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PublicConsultations-Part8Schemes/RoadsandTransportation/NaasInnerReliefRoad/Naas%20Inner%20Relief%20Brochure%20D.pdf

I would have thought that the relief road should come off the initial roundabout thereby taking cars off the Dublin road which is just one lane.

I attended the information evening on this, and given the fact that the design team appears to have almost no information on any routes other than 1 & 2 (which are in effect the same route), I fully expect them to choice one of those.

There is a lot of talk about this in the effected areas, there are unconfirmed reports of around 500 submissions to date, 99% of which are backing route 6.

Most of the councillors are supporting route 6, however, one or two are saying that they need to support 1 or 2 purely down to the fact that the county manager is under pressure to deliver this road. They do however accept that this is nothing more than a quick fix and that the relief road will need to be updated to a ring road from the big ball roundabout in the medium term. However all it will do is to push the traffic jam off the Dublin road on this road.

I fully expect this road to have major traffic tail backs from day one, with a significant increase in traffic on the Ballycane road also.

Advertisement