Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Its closer to the Sallins-Naas bridge than the interchange at the Big Ball, and closer to it that the current junction 10 :confused:

One reason it was located here was to placate Kerry Group. KCC also argued that traffic coming from Clane and heading to Dublin will be perfectly happy to use this junction to access the N7. Its logical if heading South but not for Dublin.

They also want to open up land for development west of Sallins along the link road from Sallins to the Sallins bypass (this will exit into Sallins at LIDL). Locating the bypass in its current location supposedly involved less bridges (canal, rail & Liffey) hence no interchange north of Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

One reason it was located here was to placate Kerry Group. KCC also argued that traffic coming from Clane and heading to Dublin will be perfectly happy to use this junction to access the N7. Its logical if heading South but not for Dublin.

They also want to open up land for development west of Sallins along the link road from Sallins to the Sallins bypass (this will exit into Sallins at LIDL). Locating the bypass in its current location supposedly involved less bridges (canal, rail & Liffey) hence no interchange north of Naas.

thank you, that is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Muttley_666

North of Sallins also interferes with Golf Clubs - God forbid you might put a road thru them....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Its closer to the Sallins-Naas bridge than the interchange at the Big Ball, and closer to it that the current junction 10 :confused:

One reason it was located here was to placate Kerry Group.  KCC also argued that traffic coming from Clane and heading to Dublin will be perfectly happy to use this junction to access the N7.  Its logical if heading South but not for Dublin.  

They also want to open up land for development west of Sallins along the link road from Sallins to the Sallins bypass (this will exit into Sallins at LIDL).  Locating the bypass in its current location supposedly involved less bridges (canal, rail & Liffey) hence no interchange north of Naas.
    Not sure that is entirely accurate as the junction was in scope back in 2007 but the downturn delayed it. I think it was to be in that position well before Kerry came to town. It's away from the existing sallins road to allow for a bypass of sallins. When open, a large volume of traffic currently going through Sallins headed for Clane/Kilcock and the N4 will instead use the new bypass. I think this will have a significant impact, reducing traffic on the Monread road and existing bridge. Time will tell though!

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Not sure that is entirely accurate as the junction was in scope back in 2007 but the downturn delayed it. I think it was to be in that position well before Kerry came to town. It's away from the existing sallins road to allow for a bypass of sallins. When open, a large volume of traffic currently going through Sallins headed for Clane/Kilcock and the N4 will instead use the new bypass. I think this will have a significant impact, reducing traffic on the Monread road and existing bridge. Time will tell though!

That location for the interlink is supposed to have involved less bridges (3) - if the interlink was located south of Naas and east of Sallins, it still would have required 3 bridges and possibly a fourth if it needed to go over the Bodenstown Rd, but there are 2 golf courses in the way. Apologies if I have my bridge count wrong.

Sallins doesnt need an access road to the bypass in the middle of the village as the start of the bypass is so close to the village but placing the bypass to the west of Sallins and putting an access road in the middle of the village opens up much more land for development (differing opinions on whether this is beneficial from Sallins residents) and keeps a lot of businesses on the Naas bypass happy (not a bad thing).

The problem is when the much needed Sallins bypass is finished, traffic from Clane/Kilcock going North on the N7 will turn left at Bodenstown and traffic heading to Naas North/Johnstown will turn left at the Canal in the middle of Sallins and pass by the primary school or drive straight though Sallins to the Sallins Road roundabout on the Naas bypass.

None of this traffic will use the Sallins bypass or the new interlink near Kerry Group. This interlink will be more suited to traffic heading to the south and east of the country or east/south/west of Naas. My recollection is that adjacent access to the N7 was one of Kerry's requirements for locating in Naas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

but placing the bypass to the west of Sallins and putting an access road in the middle of the village opens up much more land for development (differing opinions on whether this is beneficial from Sallins residents) and keeps a lot of businesses on the Naas bypass happy (not a bad thing).

Im no expert, but reckon that this much development in such a short time might have worrying consequences in the absence of necessary services such as more schools, public facilities etc. I think it ironic that many of the people moving to Sallins are escaping Clondalkin and Tallaght. The latter towns had challenges (to put it mildly) due to huge growth without sufficient public services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

One reason it was located here was to placate Kerry Group.

Can you explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Kerry group gave €10m towards the cost and expect to expand substantially.

Part of the agreement of locating there and bringing over 1000 jobs and the substantial benefits of such a blue chip company, was to have a direct access to millennium park from the M7

I wouldn't call it placating - more adhering to the agreement made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

North of Sallins also interferes with Golf Clubs - God forbid you might put a road thru them....:p

Won't someone please think of the golf clubs..

sdraobs wrote: »
    Im no expert, but reckon that this much development in such a short time might have worrying consequences in the absence of necessary services such as more schools, public facilities etc. I think it ironic that many of the people moving to Sallins are escaping Clondalkin and Tallaght. The latter towns had challenges (to put it mildly) due to huge growth without sufficient public services

Some (possibly most) of the lands along the Sallins link road have been zoned light industrial, educational and recreational so its not all residential. I had the plan but cant find it now, I dont think there is too much set aside for housing but the land could be rezoned from those above to residential, its not unheard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bit more than 'placate' when Kerry are extensively funding it

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Kerry group gave €10m towards the cost and expect to expand substantially.

Part of the agreement of locating there and bringing over 1000 jobs and the substantial benefits of such a blue chip company, was to have a direct access to millennium park from the M7

I wouldn't call it placating - more adhering to the agreement made.

What's your source for this?

The junction was designed back in 2008 but the recession put it on hold. I assume Kerry may have demanded it be put in place but I can't see them funding it. Where did you hear 10m? I know they had to pay a contribution to the sallins road roundabout alright as per their planning permission.

My source
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/M7OsberstownInterchangeR407SallinsBypassScheme2013/AnBordPleanalaOralHearing/DayOne/M7%2520OsbMain%2520Brief%2520incl%2520Traffic%2520Hydrology%2520Waste%2520Cumulative%2520for%2520upload.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi6k_j_6t_aAhWCW8AKHQYFBA0QFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0VP4ueR8ACbRza6OmvStET

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was it not part of Kerry group getting planning permission, that they had to pay 10MIL towards the road improvements.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    What's your source for this?

The junction was designed back in 2008 but the recession put it on hold. I assume Kerry may have demanded it be put in place but I can't see them funding it. Where did you hear 10m? I know they had to pay a contribution to the sallins road roundabout alright as per their planning permission.

Error - It was NAMA who own (maybe it sold now) Millenium Park that contributed €10m and this was the basis of Kerry Group opening their centre of excellence.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2015-01-15a.626

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Any recommendations on someone who does Garden Maintenance in Naas?

Anyone know what's being built on then killcullen road by on the old easo site?

Looks like another costa ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

One can only dream of another costa...

It's a car rental place. Enterprise I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

:):) I love this costa running gag. If only it were a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

One can only dream of another costa...

It's a car rental place. Enterprise I think...

You are correct. With both statements.
    The new building there is an enterprise care rental.
    The other half of the site has had a few enquiries and one of which is a Costa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

http://www.lacremebeautysalon.com/

• Advertisement

Whats the reasoning for charging €5 into donadea forest? I know there was something going on with irish forestry and the troike back in the gloomy days, but cant remember ifbthat was the reason.

Have always thought it seems excessive to visit a forest

Is it not a parking charge? And free to enter otherwise. Easily cyclable from the nearby towns when the weather is good enough to want to go there

L1011 wrote: »
    Is it not a parking charge? And free to enter otherwise. Easily cyclable from the nearby towns when the weather is good enough to want to go there

I’m able to drive to park at other forests and not get charged. A 10km cycle with a four year old on stabilizers and a 2 year old on a balance bike is a bit too dangerous for the cycle unfortunately.

Is it privately owned now?

It's unsellable, it is granted to the state by the Church of Ireland who would get first refusal to take it back. Was willed to them by the last private owner

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I suppose they have to make their money some way, I was down in Glendalough recently and its also 5 euro entry there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is it a once off or a regular gig? Ronan Walsh does landscaping, he's from Kingsfurze. No idea of his number.

The turkey sausages from Nolan's Butchers are very, very decent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Whats the reasoning for charging €5 into donadea forest? I know there was something going on with irish forestry and the troike back in the gloomy days, but cant remember ifbthat was the reason.

There is an entrance gate on the prosperous road, park there and you're sorted. You won't be on your own either.

5 euro is hefty price alright. Has gone up a lot in a short space of time

If anyone uses the car park in Donnadea regularly, there is a €40 annual car park pass which covers 7 other Coillte car parks around the country.

• Advertisement

Its been €5 for at least the past 3 years.

When you look at the amenity and the fact that Coillte don't get funds from local council, its not a bad price to pay for a day out.

Remember there are substantial costs involved in an operation like this, not least public liability insurance.

Plenty of free forest areas about, but not with the same facilities.

I use Emo a lot, and am surprised there's no entrance fee,

Advertisement