Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Its been €5 for at least the past 3 years.

When you look at the amenity and the fact that Coillte don't get funds from local council, its not a bad price to pay for a day out.

Remember there are substantial costs involved in an operation like this, not least public liability insurance.

Plenty of free forest areas about, but not with the same facilities.

I use Emo a lot, and am surprised there's no entrance fee,

Ok, I thought that coillte was a government entity, hence why I couldn’t understand the high cost. It’s fair enough that there’s a cafe and there is upkeep like any other forest. Visit russborough in blessington for €2 and there is a huge amount to do for adults and kids. They are able to reap more in with their tours and shop etc, and they get government funding albeit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Visit russborough in blessington for €2 and there is a huge amount to do for adults and kids. They are able to reap more in with their tours and shop etc, and they get government funding albeit

Russborough is €15, but it is a superb facility and well worth the price.

http://www.russborough.ie/plan-your-visit/admission-prices

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Russborough is €15, but it is a superb facility and well worth the price.

http://www.russborough.ie/plan-your-visit/admission-prices

Only if you want a tour - €2 for parking and access to the gardens/walks/shops/playground/restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Seen on the Monread Fares website that 'The Chicken Guys' fast food outlet will be opening there in June. I have never heard of this brand before. From being on their wesbite http://thechickenguys.ie/ i cant help notice that the menu looks very akin to supermacs menu. I wonder is this a new franchise that they are branching out into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

pad199207 wrote: »
    Seen on the Monread Fares website that 'The Chicken Guys' fast food outlet will be opening there in June. I have never heard of this brand before. From being on their wesbite http://thechickenguys.ie/ i cant help notice that the menu looks very akin to supermacs menu. I wonder is this a new franchise that they are branching out into.

I defo think it is Supermacs as there is a Papa Johns opening there too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is there a chicken guys at that junction 14 service station?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

beertons wrote: »
    Is there a chicken guys at that junction 14 service station?

No, Supermacs only.
    Chicken guys is Pat McDonaghs answer to kfc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

saw a chicken guys sign there at that new petrol station myself. had never heard of it.

MotorMike wrote: »
    No, Supermacs only.
    Chicken guys is Pat McDonaghs answer to kfc

Name registered to grayhawk ltd which is wholly owned by fitzpatricks who own Monread fare (and jct 14 svcs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

So Brandmax opened today in the old Heatons.

I found a euro so it wasn't all bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So Brandmax opened today in the old Heatons.

I found a euro so it wasn't all bad

What are they selling?

Any sports direct link?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What are they selling?

Any sports direct link?

Nope. It's like a shít TKMaxx. Seemed to be a lot of old Heatons stock and awful jeans on hanging racks.

Maybe it'll be better when that clears

What are they selling?

Any sports direct link?

Same owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those jeans won't go, the brand is owned by Ashley also.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

Naas - Buy or Continue Renting

With all these new estates popping up, are prices due to fall anytime soon? We’re paying so much now on buying or renting houses in Naas due to lack of housing but looking at all these new estates coming in surely the demand/prices will fall once we have a large supply of houses?

I’ve been renting in Naas for 10 years but i reckon I’ll only get a mortgage of about €170,000 based on 3.5 times my salary. I have €27k in savings. I’d love to get on the property ladder but all I’d be able to afford would be a two bed apartment, if even. Is that an epic waste of money?! Will there always be a rental market there?

I am currently in a house share which I need to leave, and looking online there’s not much options. I’m wondering should I just bite the bullet and buy a two bed apartment and rent the other room out to help with the mortgage or continue renting in case the bubble bursts soon with all these new estates popping up? Is it worth it forking our almost €200k on an apartment?

I’m hoping other Naas/Sallins locals might have some insight. I know there’s never really a ‘right time’ but I’d love to hear what you think.

lemmno wrote: »
    Naas - Buy or Continue Renting

With all these new estates popping up, are prices due to fall anytime soon? We’re paying so much now on buying or renting houses in Naas due to lack of housing but looking at all these new estates coming in surely the demand/prices will fall once we have a large supply of houses?

I’ve been renting in Naas for 10 years but i reckon I’ll only get a mortgage of about €170,000 based on 3.5 times my salary. I have €27k in savings. I’d love to get on the property ladder but all I’d be able to afford would be a two bed apartment, if even. Is that an epic waste of money?! Will there always be a rental market there?
    There will always be a rental market as the working population has changed. People no longer look at jobs as jobs for life and renting gives you flexibility.
    Also you now have a large non-irish population who may work here for a few years before moving on.

You then have additional costs of property ownership - initial buying costs, maintenance, property tax, insurance. Then selling costs if you move on. Fine if its long term.

On the flip side, apartment living is finally becoming more popular. An annual service fee takes care of much maintenance and block insurance and in some areas the price of apartments still has not moved up like houses.

170k mortgage will cost about €800 a month over 25 years. (10 year fixed rates are great value) - rent a room for 350 (lower rent can get the best tenant) + share of bills and its a very attractive option if Naas is a medium to long term place for you.

I would say that sq footage is very important if you plan to share. Apartments in devoy quarter are about 850-900 sq ft and circa 200k, whilst some others in the town are 550sq ft and 175k. Devoy quarter would be my preference by a mile.

There will always be a rental market as the working population has changed. People no longer look at jobs as jobs for life and renting gives you flexibility.
    Also you now have a large non-irish population who may work here for a few years before moving on.

You then have additional costs of property ownership - initial buying costs, maintenance, property tax, insurance. Then selling costs if you move on. Fine if its long term.

On the flip side, apartment living is finally becoming more popular. An annual service fee takes care of much maintenance and block insurance and in some areas the price of apartments still has not moved up like houses.

170k mortgage will cost about €800 a month over 25 years. (10 year fixed rates are great value) - rent a room for 350 (lower rent can get the best tenant) + share of bills and its a very attractive option if Naas is a medium to long term place for you.

I would say that sq footage is very important if you plan to share. Apartments in devoy quarter are about 850-900 sq ft and circa 200k, whilst some others in the town are 550sq ft and 175k. Devoy quarter would be my preference by a mile.

It’s quite tucked away from everything though and if Time was to ever re-open yo teeny boppers on the weekend again that would be a real turn off for me.

Great turn out yesterday for the Rás.

Question on CBS primary school. My oldest was accepted for a place in junior infants this September.

This is a bit of a naive post so bear with me.

Does anyone else have their boys in there, and what do they think? There appears to be a heavier emphasis on religion than other schools around. While it probably isn’t emphasized more than when I was going to school, jump forward 30 years, and my mind set has changed a bit on religion. So am I to expect him to come home chanting psalms and reciting verses of the Bible?

My lad has nearly finished 2 years there now. He's never come home spouting anything like that. I couldn't tell you the last time we went to mass either. I think it's great, I went there myself. Current principal was my last teacher.

• Advertisement

Work has started on the new McGuirks Golf custom fitting centre in Toughers - former Furniture District unit.

Where's the best beer garden in town?
    Somewhere that gets a bit of sun.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Probably the osprey if you're considering hotels.

Not overly interesting but it gets good sun.

Kavanaghs is more interesting and gets a bit of sun out the back if the roof canopy thing is open.

Probably the osprey if you're considering hotels.

Not overly interesting but it gets good sun.

Kavanaghs is more interesting and gets a bit of sun out the back if the roof canopy thing is open.

Was in Kavanaghs Friday afternoon but the sun is mostly blocked out by the high buildings next door.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Was in Kavanaghs Friday afternoon but the sun is mostly blocked out by the high buildings next door.

For the most part all the ones in town are like that or covered. Sporadic sun at best. The one in the osprey is completely open. 33 SM has a car park out back, possibly has seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

BuzzFish wrote: »
    What's your source for this?

The junction was designed back in 2008 but the recession put it on hold. I assume Kerry may have demanded it be put in place but I can't see them funding it. Where did you hear 10m? I know they had to pay a contribution to the sallins road roundabout alright as per their planning permission.

My source
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/M7OsberstownInterchangeR407SallinsBypassScheme2013/AnBordPleanalaOralHearing/DayOne/M7%2520OsbMain%2520Brief%2520incl%2520Traffic%2520Hydrology%2520Waste%2520Cumulative%2520for%2520upload.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi6k_j_6t_aAhWCW8AKHQYFBA0QFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0VP4ueR8ACbRza6OmvStET

When is the bypass and new junction due to be completed?

Monread?

beertons wrote: »
    My lad has nearly finished 2 years there now. He's never come home spouting anything like that. I couldn't tell you the last time we went to mass either. I think it's great, I went there myself. Current principal was my last teacher.

I was joking with the psalms and bible quotes thing. But just wanted to know the lay of the land from someone who had been there. And good to hear from a past pupil who thinks it’s good.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Hi All,

Just bought a house in Naas and moving from Dublin. Very excited! Just wondering is there much of an Irish speaking community? Is there much of a trad scene?

Also looking to do some volunteering, any useful sites to look this up?

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Just bought a house in Naas and moving from Dublin. Very excited! Just wondering is there much of an Irish speaking community? Is there much of a trad scene?

Also looking to do some volunteering, any useful sites to look this up?

Look up Cill Dara le Gaeilge and Sult na Sollán. Hayden’s has trad every week as far as I know

Advertisement