Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Hi All,

Just bought a house in Naas and moving from Dublin. Very excited! Just wondering is there much of an Irish speaking community? Is there much of a trad scene?

Also looking to do some volunteering, any useful sites to look this up?

There's one based in Sallins - from their website - Sult na Sollán is a community group set-up in Sallins, North Co. Kildare to promote the Irish language and traditional Irish music and culture. We host monthly trad music sessions in the village, usually on the third Friday of each month, Irish classes for adults and we also run family events from time to time. We also host a weekly ciorcal comhrá for Irish speakers who meet each Saturday morning in Naas. And more...why not join us? Tá fáilte romhat!

http://www.sultnasollan.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thewalrusis

Hi.. Looking for recommendations for good tiler in Naas area?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thewalrusis

Hi.. Looking for recommendations for good tiler in Naas area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Anyone know if Papa Johns is opening tonight? Dying for a pizza

Anyone know if Papa Johns is opening tonight? Dying for a pizza

It is. Just back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ohh tell us what the pizza is like!

anewme wrote: »
    Ohh tell us what the pizza is like!

It'sa not aso bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Seen a bit of activity at the forge inn pub lately. Are they returbing the building?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Seen a bit of activity at the forge inn pub lately. Are they returbing the building?

Was boarded up after that young fella set it on fire a couple of months ago and they reckoned there was fairly serious damage done to it, in the 100 to 200k bracket iirc. Would have my doubts they'd do it up proper after that but who knows. Drove past today and it appeared to be just boarded up windows.

However,

*Apparently the receiver for the shopping centre had applied for a licence for the pub a couple of years ago. Haven't heard anything since but it didn't sound like a great idea for anyone planning on opening the centre considering the forge pub is one of the main entrances.

*I may have dreamed all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Alwo

Hi everyone!
    Myself and my partner are moving to Naas from Dublin very soon and we've visited a good bit while checking the progress of our house. We love it more every time we come down. Great food and drink options and a really nice feel to the place in general. Looking forward to calling it our home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hi everyone!
    Myself and my partner are moving to Naas from Dublin very soon and we've visited a good bit while checking the progress of our house. We love it more every time we come down. Great food and drink options and a really nice feel to the place in general. Looking forward to calling it our home :)

Where in Naas are you moving to?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Where in Naas are you moving to?

Castle Farm, Jigginstown. Couple of developments being built there

lemmno wrote: »
    Naas - Buy or Continue Renting

With all these new estates popping up, are prices due to fall anytime soon? We’re paying so much now on buying or renting houses in Naas due to lack of housing but looking at all these new estates coming in surely the demand/prices will fall once we have a large supply of houses?

I’ve been renting in Naas for 10 years but i reckon I’ll only get a mortgage of about €170,000 based on 3.5 times my salary. I have €27k in savings. I’d love to get on the property ladder but all I’d be able to afford would be a two bed apartment, if even. Is that an epic waste of money?! Will there always be a rental market there?

I am currently in a house share which I need to leave, and looking online there’s not much options. I’m wondering should I just bite the bullet and buy a two bed apartment and rent the other room out to help with the mortgage or continue renting in case the bubble bursts soon with all these new estates popping up? Is it worth it forking our almost €200k on an apartment?

I’m hoping other Naas/Sallins locals might have some insight. I know there’s never really a ‘right time’ but I’d love to hear what you think.

Hi, I'm not sure what's the going rate for an apartment in Naas but if you were in a position to afford a new build, the Help to Buy scheme is worth looking at. It's run Revenue and you can claim up to 20k based on tax paid over the last 4 years. It has to be a new build and you need to be a first time buyer. It's not very well advertised and myself and my partner pretty much stumbled upon it. But it's so helpful and we pretty much wouldn't be able to buy without it. You can use as part of your deposit payment(upto 5% of the the value of the property). Best of luck with whatever you decide

Castle Farm, Jigginstown. Couple of developments being built there

Yeah nice area, I viewed the show house and they're very nice houses. Lots of new house's in the town so loads of young people. Only drawback is if you have to commute into Dublin to work. N7 can be a disaster.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Naas Barry! Iv lived in the area for around 10 years and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else (we’re just great aren’t we?) hope you enjoy settling in. This thread has been very handy for random local info

Welcome to Naas Barry! Iv lived in the area for around 10 years and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else (we’re just great aren’t we?) hope you enjoy settling in. This thread has been very handy for random local info

Thanks! Was down there today and it looked only lovely in the sun. Dying to get down permanently now. Hopefully we'll be able to add to the random local info soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hi, I'm wondering can anyone recommend a builder for an attic conversion, We live in Aylmer Park and also would anyone have a rough idea of pricing, Just a ballpark figure obviously, We have an hip roof so we would need planning permission as far as I'm aware! Thanks in advance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

lainycool wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering can anyone recommend a builder for an attic conversion, We live in Aylmer Park and also would anyone have a rough idea of pricing, Just a ballpark figure obviously, We have an apex roof so we would need planning permission as far as I'm aware! Thanks in advance.

I have a guy. I'll just run it by him if I can pass on his number. He was saying he was swamped a while back, I don't want to give you the run around though with promises. That ok?

beertons wrote: »
    I have a guy. I'll just run it by him if I can pass on his number. He was saying he was swamped a while back, I don't want to give you the run around though with promises. That ok?

Brilliant thanks very much.

Great craic at the pop up dog park, in Monread this morning. A lot more dogs around too.

Did anyone for to the fundraiser in 33South Main last night?

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks very much.

PM sent.

beertons wrote: »
    PM sent.

Thanks beertons, I'll call him Monday, Have you used him before?

Thanks beertons, I'll call him Monday, Have you used him before?

For years. Big jobs, little ones. He's not cheap, but I'd have no problem giving him a set of keys to the house.

What are people's recommendations for the top restaurant in or around Naas?

The Candied Walnut is amazing!

I don't get out much, but Trax, VdC and Lemongrass are my favourites.

Any particular type of food?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any pubs around town selling 0% Heineken?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

Bouchon is my favourite. Have never had a bad experience there. Butt Mullins, Vie de Chateaux and Lemongrass are all high on my list also. I enjoyed Trax (over a year ago since I was there), but other half wasn't too impressed so haven't been back. Plan to give it another shot soon. Rustic was good when it first opened, but I reckon standards have fallen since. Was there 3 times in one week a few months back so maybe some of my problem with it was that I got bored with it? il Fico is good, but I think it can be a bit hit and miss.
    I have to say, I don't get the hype around the Candied Walnut. Food was good, but I really didn't like the atmosphere in it. Noise level was high because of the high ceilings I think? Just to clarify, I have only been once, but nothing about it made me (or the other half) want to go back.

Bottom line though is that as a blow-in from Dublin and as a "foodie" I can tell you that the restaurant choices in Naas are great. I couldn't name many suburbs in Dublin that would have as many good restaurants in the one place. I have a friend from Dublin who is planning on driving to Naas with her OH just to go to Bouchon for Dinner. That's how much she enjoyed it!!

• Advertisement

Brown Bear is meant to be good. Too expensive for me, I've never been.

Advertisement