Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

God I'm out of naas a while now but back regularly to see my mam. Sorry to see jolly closed, was a lovely place to stroll down to for a cuppa. Always seemed busy too. We actually tried to go in for lunch last Sunday and it was an hour wait for the table! I doubt it's lack of trade that shut them down. Terrible for the staff and owners.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Monread, 33SM and Grace's on the ball, saying they'd take on the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Really sorry to hear about Jolly, some lovely food there. Anyone know if Zest is still open in Clane?

Edit: Nevermind, just found out they closed earlier in the year... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

beertons wrote: »
    The Monread, 33SM and Grace's on the ball, saying they'd take on the staff.

That’s great to hear and to see that some local businesses are doing well and able to take on staff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Really liked Jolly, food was great but I got a cappucino in there recently in a glass you would get in a canteen for a soft drink:confused:

Call me old fashioned but I like mine in a proper mug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ClaireSh

It’s such a pity to see restaurants and pubs closing permanently. We moved recently and we are liking it here. It’s a lovely town. Most businesses seem to be busy and it appears towns economic prosperity is improving in general. I don’t get why businesses are having to close when more people are moving here and are using the town. How are other similar sized towns performing in comparison to naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rates are very high around the town. I know a guy who has a couple of premises in the town and the rates are eye watering, that's before rent insurance etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LauraMarieA

Hi,

I am buying my first home in Naas and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good solictor in or around the area. Currently living about 15 minutes from Naas.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bbnaas

Jolly lost their way - moved from a popular menu to overpriced food (evening time) in a restaurant where there was no privacy in the seating layout. People might be spending a bit again but they want value for money - the more expensive Jolly and Candied Walnut are both gone but value restaurants like Rustic are doing great business.
    Parking is not the main issue especially in the evening time - there’s just nothing in the town to bring footfall, hopefully Dunnes opening will help reverse some of that

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

ClaireSh wrote: »
    It’s such a pity to see restaurants and pubs closing permanently. We moved recently and we are liking it here. It’s a lovely town. Most businesses seem to be busy and it appears towns economic prosperity is improving in general. I don’t get why businesses are having to close when more people are moving here and are using the town. How are other similar sized towns performing in comparison to naas?
    Naas is busy in the car-reliant retail parks (Monread, Globe, Newhall) but the town centre is not doing so well. Not a good sign when your main street is full of charity shops, phone centres, barber shops and the odd pub/restaurant which is doing ok.

Also not helped by allowing Tesco to come in some years ago and open a store that does nothing for the town other than to take business out of it - their store is like the French hypermarket model where you can literally get everything under one roof. Ultimately, customers decide by voting with their feet, but it;s doubly hard for local businesses when people can park for free at Monread and then go into Tesco where they are presented with a newsagent, book store, card shop, liht hardware, household, homeware, TV/Audio, clothes, opticians, phone shop, pharmacy, off-licence, butchers, bakery, fishmonger, oh and yes, a grocery store as well !

Like I say, shoppers are lazy generally and like the convenience of getting everything in one shop (Tesco), or at least under one roof (Monread Centre) - I go into Naas for bread (Soda Bread Shop), meat (Derek Nolan), and fish (East Coast Seafood ?) plus if and when I want to eat out or go for a few pints, but other than that, not a lot to interest me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Hi,

I am buying my first home in Naas and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good solictor in or around the area. Currently living about 15 minutes from Naas.

Thanks!
    I bought in the last 2 years and used Misty Price of Wilkinson Price - absolutely no complaints either in terms of executing the paperwork speedily and generally being on top of her game.

The quoted price was competitive also i.e. a fixed price, and she ended up having to do a lot of additional searches but fully honoured the agreed price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Hi,

I am buying my first home in Naas and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good solicitor in or around the area. Currently living about 15 minutes from Naas.

Thanks!

This guy is in Newbridge, but conveyancing is his speciality and you'll never hear a bad word about him http://mccormacksolicitors.ie/

This guy is in Newbridge, but conveyancing is his speciality and you'll never hear a bad word about him http://mccormacksolicitors.ie/

I used these too. Excellent service.

Rates are very high around the town. I know a guy who has a couple of premises in the town and the rates are eye watering, that's before rent insurance etc.
    Premises have been revalued and many rates have reduced.

They are not too bad in comparison to some counties.

The restaurant trade is very fickle - to provide a good level of service and a good menu, you have to charge well.

Then you have no-shows which is the bain of the restaurant trade and very costly. (food wastage, staff costs etc)

When they moved to daytime only, that was the deathnell as the daytime trade is extremely competitive, price conscious, and fickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Premises were revalued and a lot were increased. Even a tiny premises off Main Street is almost 2000 Premises get nothing in return and are the first targeted by people collecting for whatever is charity of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

sorry to go off topic on Jollys.

But can anyone advise how busy the 7:27am train from sallins to dublin is in the morning. would i struggle to get on it cause its so packed, or would it just be hard to get a seat. and is it generally on time.

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

sdraobs wrote: »
    sorry to go off topic on Jollys.

But can anyone advise how busy the 7:27am train from sallins to dublin is in the morning. would i struggle to get on it cause its so packed, or would it just be hard to get a seat. and is it generally on time.

tks

You’ll definitely get on. Seats are hit and miss - most days you’ll probably be standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

IrishZeus wrote: »
    You’ll definitely get on. Seats are hit and miss - most days you’ll probably be standing.

Thank you IrishZeus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there any good 2nd hand furniture stores around Naas / Kildare area that would deliver to Naas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Is there any good 2nd hand furniture stores around Naas / Kildare area that would deliver to Naas? Thanks

Svp near lawlors and ncbi on main st where Donals used to be

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »

Jps https://www.jpsfurniture.com/
    Not cheap, but higher end stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jps https://www.jpsfurniture.com/
    Not cheap, but higher end stuff.

Something tells me this is not what the poster has in mind......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Have a large length of timber that I'm looking to get cut down and planed. Any ideas on who I could get to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Just for those who are not aware -
    There is a walk through Sallins at 4pm today to highlight Road safety concerns and protest against Kildare Co. Council inaction on the issue. I would imagine there will be traffic disruption. For the info of anyone who may be passing through, maybe best to take an alternative route if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Have a large length of timber that I'm looking to get cut down and planed. Any ideas on who I could get to do it?

Pm me

For anyone looking to get their car cleaned at the Sallins road service station, they are taking bookings from Monday till Christmas Eve. Such is the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

beertons wrote: »
    For anyone looking to get their car cleaned at the Sallins road service station, they are taking bookings from Monday till Christmas Eve. Such is the demand.

Is this at Roberts place @ Applegreen?

MotorMike wrote: »
    Is this at Roberts place @ Applegreen?

No idea. Hennesseys is what I call it. Where xtravision was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

This being the last weekend for posting before Christmas, I went to Naas post office to buy a load of stamps.... but they close at 1pm on Saturdays! I mean in all honesty, an post can be such a joke.

Advertisement