Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

edson wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of those as well, especially the foldable type, do you know anything about those? I could just get a runabout bike as well!

Edit: the foldable scooter types i mean, i believe there is such a thing!

Sorry i dont know much about foldable scooters. you can get adult push ones for as cheap as 70euros. See Smyths website. If i were you i'd get one for that price, if it doesnt work out you can sell it on. id imagine a 30min walk would come down to 15min on a scooter without pushing too hard or sweating. actually i might get one myself.

foldable bikes are alot more expensive and are likely to have problems.

You could get a second hand bike for 100 euros and park it at sallins train station for the day. might get rusty/stolen, but for 100 euros would you care that much.

edson wrote: »
    Hi abrahul,

I used to work in Sandyford Industrial Estate! My job there was also flexible and i used to leave home in Monread area around 9 and get into work around 9.35, so if you leave around 8.45 - 9 it generally takes that time to get in. I have 2 kids so used always leave at 4 or before, unless i didn't need to collect them, when i'd work til 6 or so. Leaving Dublin at that time (6) is also fine, takes no more than 40 mins to get home normally, so if you leave later you could be down in 30 - 35 mins.

Don't know Oak Park, just that it might take an extra 5 mins in travel given where it is.

Don't know much about the buses either, but there are trains also. I'm sure some others will reply here to give you some more info!

edson.

sorry but I had a different experience on time it takes from naas to bray. Since Sandyford is before Bray, im guessing 1 hour each way on normal peak traffic. if you leave by 6.30am or come back before 4pm, you might get it down to 45min each way.

On a positive side, there is little if any anti-social behaviour. Naas is like living in Terenure. Just unfortunately a bit further from Dublin.

Those Oak Park houses look good. Especially being energy efficent, water pumps, solar panels. Going to get a hit on inefficent homes with the planned carbon tax increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Yes I have found the traffic to be different too but it all depends what time you are leaving for work, I commute from Monread to Clondalkin and if I leave at 9, I will be there most mornings at 9.30, if I left at 8 it would take me nearly an hour.

I'm down here 3 years and have yet to see antisocial behaviour although I only have young children. We are in Aylmer and love it, I would never move back to Dublin as we love it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 arbrahul

Amazing. Thanks for the responses. As of now I live near Sandyford and the other areas where I can buy are Adamstown - Lucan or Citywest. I prefer Citywest to Adamstown and above all I like Naas. My only worry about Naas is commute and my wife's future plans to study, work etc. Otherwise, I liked the area, the estate the town etc. I have a 1 year old girl and my wife was a bit worried about the fact that we both might end up working in Dublin too far from our home.

• Advertisement

arbrahul wrote: »
    Amazing. Thanks for the responses. As of now I live near Sandyford and the other areas where I can buy are Adamstown - Lucan or Citywest. I prefer Citywest to Adamstown and above all I like Naas. My only worry about Naas is commute and my wife's future plans to study, work etc. Otherwise, I liked the area, the estate the town etc. I have a 1 year old girl and my wife was a bit worried about the fact that we both might end up working in Dublin too far from our home.

Both myself and my husband commute and honestly it's not that bad, If you are able to avoid the evening traffic on the N7 you are in a good position.

i hope you wont be influenced by people here as we dont know your circumstances.

im guessing since adamstown/citywest have alot of new developments, you are thinking of a new build. good idea. i wish i bought new.

i know people who bought in citywest and adamstown and both love their respective areas. if i didnt have family connections to naas, id choose citywest or adamstown due to proximity to dublin. Though not much in citywest and lots of people buy there cause of the luas. i hate the luas, totally overrated, but thats another story. citywest would have good rental prices if you decide to rent out at a later stage.

Location,location,location. no matter how nice the house and area is. house is just somewhere to leave your stuff. and when you are sitting at home watching tv, you arent lookin around the house, or whats outside.

Naas is a more effort for getting into dublin, let alone sandyford. its an extra hour a day commuting that you could be helping out with your wife and child.

Its just relative. if you decide Naas, you will like the town, the area, loads of good amenities, safe, i think low crime.

Good luck deciding. and sure the grass is always greener so no matter what you choose, you might think you made the wrong decision.

Sorry, one last thing, have a think about the schools for your daughter. Naas schools are overcrowded. i expect the same of citywest and adamstown as they are new massive developments.

Maybe see could you do a short term let maybe for 6 months, Before we bought we did the commute everyday for 2 weeks to see what the traffic would be like, The traffic is generally quieter in summer time.

It's a big decision to make so good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

Hi All, I live in South Dublin and work in Sandyford. I am Planning to buy a house and found Oak Park Naas very attractive. Anyone driving from Naas to Sandyford three times a week? My work is a bit flexible and I can do times like 10 to 7 and work from home a couple of days a week etc. However a bit concerned about my wife as well, she is not working right now, but planning to do her Masters and go back to work, probably teaching.

I am looking for info on:

1. Oak Park, the new estate, its location, accessibility, etc.
    2. Actual driving times from Naas.
    3. Possibilities of finding work, particularly teaching.
    4. Antisocial behaviour in Naas
    5. Getting to Dublin City centre on a regular basis - Actual time the bus takes - The timetables show that it takes about an hour. But is it real at let's say 8:00 AM in the morning?

please point out any other threads or pointers as well. I do not know much about the town and area. Thanks a lot.

We just moved to Naas in November and I work in Sandyford. I start work between 7 and 7.30. I leave Naas around 6.15 and am in Sandyford about 06.50. I leave at 4 and it takes around an hour to get home.

It was one of the main issues we had when deciding to move to Naas but it has been worth it and so far hasn't caused any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

For anyone looking for weekend activities

http://somethinginthewater.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mikeyc369

Cerdito wrote: »
    I play in a game on Sundays at 10:30am at the k leisure. PM me your number and I can add you to the WhatsApp group. Average age would be 35+ so it's a nicely paced game!

Just wondering if you guys still play? Just moved to Naas myself and looking for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

For anyone looking for weekend activities

http://somethinginthewater.ie/

Anyone hear how this went?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

you2008 wrote: »
    Hi Naaser,
    Any good tailor for leather jacket that can refer here?
    thanks

Hey, I've used Theresa's Alterations in Clane a few times. Not sure if you can post numbers on here? But stick 'Theresa's Alterations Clane' into Google and she will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Anyone hear how this went?

Wife went down Friday night. Said it was good craic. Different bands on and comedians in Lock 13.

We were down earlier but nothing really for the kids. I think the plan is to make it more family friendly earlier in the day next year.

Someone said to me it was supposed to be part of the Midsummer Festival but because bewery/pubs were involved the council wouldn't let them officialy be part of the Midsummer Festival due to alcohol sponsorship or something. Not sure how true all that is but last 2 years there were events in Sallins as part of Midsummer Festival. These were not drink related; bat walk, art exhibitions in Grange and 2 Cooks etc. (mind you there was wine at the art exhibition in Grange).

A reasonable attempt for a first time local festival. Hopefully it runs again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

mikeyc369 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you guys still play? Just moved to Naas myself and looking for a game.

Yeah this game is still going on alright, there's also one at 9pm on a Monday night (also in K Leisure). PM me your number and I'll add you to the groups :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Where's the best pub to watch the hurling Sunday afternoon?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Where's the best pub to watch the hurling Sunday afternoon?

Do you want food too?

Probably Kavanaghs, with a shout out to 33SM if hungry.

beertons wrote: »
    Do you want food too?

Probably Kavanaghs, with a shout out to 33SM if hungry.

Nope, just pints and the hurling, preferably with the sound turned up?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Nope, just pints and the hurling, preferably with the sound turned up?

Maybe Hayden’s? Lots of screens and more of a sports bar feel than Kavanagh’s I think. Graces also has a few screens and large projector for big matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Maybe Hayden’s? Lots of screens and more of a sports bar feel than Kavanagh’s I think. Graces also has a few screens and large projector for big matches

+1 for Hayden's

Railway Inn (in Sallins) has had the GAA on anytime I've been there too

• Advertisement

Grand I'll chance haydens.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Does anyone know if there any yoga classes in the Naas/Sallins area where a man of about 40 wouldn't feel too ridiculously out of place!?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Does anyone know if there any yoga classes in the Naas/Sallins area where a man of about 40 wouldn't feel too ridiculously out of place!?

One of my neighbours is around that age, and goes to a place behind the gym in Monread. Reasonably priced too. Pilates and yoga studio, dunno what it's called.

This reminds me of a story on Popb1tch from a few years ago, Russell Brand (male in his forties) used to go to yoga near his home in east london. Apparently he slept his way through each of the yummy mummies attending it.

So Mancoomb Seepgood, if this is your plan, i like your style. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I'll second that... Wouldn't mind finding a class myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Its pilates but kishan mistri at km physio beside the Garda station would be worth a shout.

Kishan is a bloke and there would be a good split of guys and girls of varying ages. You wouldn't be out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bbnaas

Any recommendations for someone to do a bathroom renovation in Naas? Need full work including plumbing, tiling and electricals - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

we used KIWI bathrooms, top class service

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

Also try Cleary Bathrooms in Newbridge. They’ve just finished ours and would highly recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

Also try Cleary Bathrooms in Newbridge. They’ve just finished ours and would highly recommend them.

Advertisement