Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't they try a market type thing before in the now Dunnes carpark. It was full of junk. I literally took a walk around, and went straight back down to the farmers market.

I'm probably not the best advocate for a Christmas market though, I don't like mince pies or mulled wine. I like all the holly stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Went to the turning on of the lights at the town hall yesterday. Luckily the rain stayed off a bit and it wasn’t as cold so a good atmosphere.

Looked like a big effort was made by the council and local businesses, but I can’t help but think it could have been arranged better to suit the crowds of people.

First was the location of the lights ceremony outside the town hall. You had crowds of people gathered around on the path and steps in front of the town hall (the mc was constantly asking people to keep the steps clear), and crowds gathering on the path on the opposite side of the road. In between that they still allowed Saturday evening traffic to drive through! It seemed bizarre that while a soprano was belting out o holy night ( and doing a good job!) there was a double decker green bus trying to make its way through the town.

Being in Naas a few years now and starting to think there is a silent old school traditional group running the town. the kind of people that are stuck in their old ways that the lights should be outside town hall, when everyone, especially new people to the town, can see christmas lights event should be in a different place.

I notice it in NAAS GAA club, a main establishment of the town. its unlike any other GAA club ive been in. Always strict enforcement of the rules of the club by management. I wonder if they dont like the massive increase in blow ins.

Similarly decision of where to locate Kildare Village. It should have been outlet centre in Goffs, but Naas town put up objections as it would damage naas traders. So they had to move it out to Kildare Town.

More controversially is this idea of the council flooding in loads of money to resurrect the town, improving pathways, putting lightpoles underground. money on christmas lights. the town is dead, too much traffic, no parking. money could be spent elsewhere. this idea of the town being that important is nonsense.

anyone else noticed this, or am i one of those paranoid conspiracy theorists like those cuckcoos that think elvis is alive, fbi shot JFK and humans have never landed on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

I always remember my father saying that 30 years ago when they built the bypass of Naas (M7) Naas would die, but since then it has only grown. I agree with you i think there is group of people who want Old Naas back.

There is great influx of people/cultures and it should be encouraged, my biggest problem with the town center is Traffic! There is plenty of parking on the side streets of Naas, but there is far too much through traffic going through the center.

I think Naas should be radical and pedestrianise the main street, is there a need to be able to drive through it anymore there are plenty of options to go around it.

eusap wrote: »
    I think Naas should be radical and pedestrianise the main street, is there a need to be able to drive through it anymore there are plenty of options to go around it.

you hit the nail on the head when you said that the main street should be pedestranised. Though i dont blame the council/councillors for not touching this idea with a barge pole - can only imagine the amount of consultations, traffic bypass considerations, review of responses, hiccups, and even then it might be unsuccessful in the end. Dublin Corporation with probably 30 times the resources of KCC cant get Dame street pedestrianised, what hope do KCC have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I notice it in NAAS GAA club, a main establishment of the town. its unlike any other GAA club ive been in. Always strict enforcement of the rules of the club by management. I wonder if they dont like the massive increase in blow ins.
    need to bite lip now on the GAA :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

I always remember my father saying that 30 years ago when they built the bypass of Naas (M7) Naas would die, but since then it has only grown. I agree with you i think there is group of people who want Old Naas back.

There is great influx of people/cultures and it should be encouraged, my biggest problem with the town center is Traffic! There is plenty of parking on the side streets of Naas, but there is far too much through traffic going through the center.

If you want rid of traffic, maybe an orbital public bus service could be provided for Naas so someone who’s at the Globe retail park could actually travel to the town, sallins, Johnstown, the hospital, etc. if they needed to. In its current form, all business in Naas is conducted using a car. A bus lane on the Dublin road inbound and another on the newbridge road outbound. Surely the Naas area has hit over 35k at this stage, I think it’s unfair to students, the elderly and people in general that there is not such a service in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It will be interesting to see the effect on traffic by the new jct 9a - traffic to twomile house / kilcullen and even the southern estates of naas will find this handier and once the sallins bypass is open, much of the monread road traffic will be gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davey85

Wondering can anyone tell me what Oldtown Gardens is like as an area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

davey85 wrote: »
    Wondering can anyone tell me what Oldtown Gardens is like as an area?

Nice little cul de sac across from the park. Seems quiet and more or less the same as surrounding estates like Morell, Kerdiff, rest of Oldtown, the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

I was in Braga recently, where they've done this. The town center has a great feel about it.
    They have a ring of underground carparks all around the pedestrian area so it works tho. We don't have similar in naas.

Agree, the town center is so noisy and feels so busy. But its from traffic, with not a whole lot of people around.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    need to bite lip now on the GAA :mad:

hmmmm, sounds intriguing. Is it the Naas GAA or the GAA in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

hmmmm, sounds intriguing. Is it the Naas GAA or the GAA in general?

Naas
    Too many egos

walked down to the "market" in Naas today at the moat
    Nuff said

Two break ins this week in Aylmer Park folks. Be on guard.

Apparently they're doing the rounds between Naas and Kilcullen. A black hatchback (possibly an Audi) have caught the attention of locals in the areas robbed.

Two break ins this week in Aylmer Park folks. Be on guard.

Apparently they're doing the rounds between Naas and Kilcullen. A black hatchback (possibly an Audi) have caught the attention of locals in the areas robbed.

What times did they occur?

Tomrota wrote: »
    What times did they occur?

First one between 7pm and 10pm

Second one close to 7.30pm

both houses on the same street.

Obviously I cannot be sure about this but there was a couple of youngish people in a black hatchback were hanging around and caught the attention of neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Tomrota wrote: »
    A plaza where the permanent TSB building is would be perfect for these situations.

Wishful thinking but I've always thought I'd love to see the permanent TSB building and its neighbouring shops on that triangle demolished, and a plaza or park added as its replacement. I always thought the coffee shops hidden behind and the old stone wall would look great with outdoor tables overlooking a square. Would calm the feel of the village down also.

Does anyone know what was there before that building or what year it was built in?

IIRC there was also some talk at one stage to pedestrianise the car parking spaces outside Haydens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

There used to be a 2 storey house facing up the street. Don't know what was behind that. Think the PTSB building was built c. early 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I’ve been away for 2 weeks and just home this eve in Sallins, ok, I know there’s roadworks, but did I miss info about water supply stoppages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

coffeepls wrote: »
    I’ve been away for 2 weeks and just home this eve in Sallins, ok, I know there’s roadworks, but did I miss info about water supply stoppages?

Burst pipe on the site opposite Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

MotorMike wrote: »
    Burst pipe on the site opposite Lidl

Ah cheers. I didn’t want to go knocking on neighbours doors at this hour asking them if they’d water or not. Thanks for the info... hopefully it will be sorted soon....!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

karenalot wrote: »
    Wishful thinking but I've always thought I'd love to see the permanent TSB building and its neighbouring shops on that triangle demolished, and a plaza or park added as its replacement. I always thought the coffee shops hidden behind and the old stone wall would look great with outdoor tables overlooking a square. Would calm the feel of the village down also.

Does anyone know what was there before that building or what year it was built in?

IIRC there was also some talk at one stage to pedestrianise the car parking spaces outside Haydens?

Plan re. Plaza on poplar sq. (Haydens) is probably on the back burner for now after the inner relief road fell through.
    That said, if the mothballed shopping centre gets back on track it's game on for pedestrian solutions and public realm close to friary Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

There used to be a 2 storey house facing up the street. Don't know what was behind that. Think the PTSB building was built c. early 80s

PTSB building has plans in for a facade upgrade. Long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Water still gonna this morning in Sallins

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Water still gonna this morning in Sallins

Stinky trains today so.

emfifty wrote: »
    PTSB building has plans in for a facade upgrade. Long overdue.

Its an awful looking yoke.

I remember seeing a picture of poplar house when I was younger.
    The house that stood on that site.
    I'll ask my dad about it at the weekend,he'd remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

There was a house there alright, with railings around the front and side of it when I was a child. Behind it as far as Chapel Lane was some sort of large warehouse type of building too as far as I remember, but I could be wrong. It was big, dark and grey, and had been empty for a long time. The Eastern Health Board built the current building there in the very early eighties / late seventies I think, or at least moved into it once it was built.

Not sure we need to wipe that whole section out to create an open space. Poplar Square should be large enough as it is, not to mention the area opposite the post office. Are we ready for continental-style outside dining in Naas? Great to hear that PTSB is doing a face-lift too. It'll lift the place significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

beertons wrote: »
    Stinky trains today so.

A water pipe burst in Sallins yesterday evening. Apparently it will be repaired by 4.00pm today, with supplies back a couple of hours later...

• Advertisement

karenalot wrote: »

Imagine how nice a plaza would look in place of that TSB grey building. It would really boost the shops down that lane way where the harvest kitchen is. There would be a fountain, kinda like Dundrum, and places to eat and cafes to drink with plenty of outdoor seating. They sit outdoors in the Netherlands, France, spain, even in the cold weather. It’s such a vibe.

It would be so nice to have a few towns with outdoor plaza style seating in Ireland. That’s why I’d also love to see the college green plaza going ahead.

Advertisement