Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Many thanks Derekeire and Tetrasonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

€5.39 with leap. €7.70 with cash
    What a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Tomrota wrote: »
    What a rip off

How is that a ripoff?

Seems good value to me

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

What a rip off

Is this fare from Naas? If so, is there a 'capping' applied similar to the trains (Short-hop zone) of 10€ per day for Buses?

emfifty wrote: »
    Is this fare from Naas? If so, is there a 'capping' applied similar to the trains (Short-hop zone) of 10€ per day for Buses?
    @Darc19, yeah great value if you’re going into town once a week or for a night out once and a while. Not when you’re actually relying on it for your daily commute.

@emfifty I assume there are no caps like before. Naas is one of a kind when it comes to the SHZ. When you question the NTA about the fare, they say the 2,50€ flat fare is for buses within the SHZ. When you tell them that Naas is in the SHZ, so what’s with the rip off fare on the bus, they say it’s a distance based fare. Well that makes absolutely f*** all sense since Newtownmountkennedy, Greystones, Maynooth, Balbriggan, Blessington, and other ridiculous examples of places are paying 2,50€ flat fare which are equal distance or further. Naas to town, over 5€. Bray to IKEA, 2,50€. That disproves the entire theory. So neither theory that NTA states is actually true.

In no world is that reasonable of a fare for such a short commute. If it was capped at 7,00€, fine. But no, the majority of people commuting from Naas are going to a business park or a university, so they’ll have to take a subsequent bus. That cost me well over 60€ some weeks trying to get to UCD when I was foolish enough to use that stupid bus. When the students in balbriggan, greystones, maynooth and all those other places I mentioned are getting capped at 20€ for the week.

I’m just so sick of hearing that this is a “regular” fare. It’s not, and when I’ve questioned the NTA about it, they could not answer me straight. Ever. Just contradictions. I’m disappointed they didn’t do something about the fares with the switchover to Go-Ahead. It’s a sad affair when the private market have much cheaper fares than the supposed “public” transport. Meanwhile, the N7 is getting more clogged than ever (giving the M50 a run for its money) and the people are getting up even earlier and spending more hours in traffic per day.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

@Darc19, yeah great value if you’re going into town once a week or for a night out once and a while. Not when you’re actually relying on it for your daily commute.

@emfifty I assume there are no caps like before. Naas is one of a kind when it comes to the SHZ. When you question the NTA about the fare, they say the 2,50€ flat fare is for buses within the SHZ. When you tell them that Naas is in the SHZ, so what’s with the rip off fare on the bus, they say it’s a distance based fare. Well that makes absolutely f*** all sense since Newtownmountkennedy, Greystones, Maynooth, Balbriggan, Blessington, and other ridiculous examples of places are paying 2,50€ flat fare which are equal distance or further. Naas to town, over 5€. Bray to IKEA, 2,50€. That disproves the entire theory. So neither theory that NTA states is actually true.

In no world is that reasonable of a fare for such a short commute. If it was capped at 7,00€, fine. But no, the majority of people commuting from Naas are going to a business park or a university, so they’ll have to take a subsequent bus. That cost me well over 60€ some weeks trying to get to UCD when I was foolish enough to use that stupid bus. When the students in balbriggan, greystones, maynooth and all those other places I mentioned are getting capped at 20€ for the week.

I’m just so sick of hearing that this is a “regular” fare. It’s not, and when I’ve questioned the NTA about it, they could not answer me straight. Ever. Just contradictions. I’m disappointed they didn’t do something about the fares with the switchover to Go-Ahead. It’s a sad affair when the private market have much cheaper fares than the supposed “public” transport. Meanwhile, the N7 is getting more clogged than ever (giving the M50 a run for its money) and the people are getting up even earlier and spending more hours in traffic per day.

/rant

If everyone on this thread fired off an email to the NTA, it might get something started.
    The Naas fares are a nonsense given the comparisons you make to other SDZ locations.
    Newbridge are having the same problems with rip off fares because they are outside the SHZ.

Madrid is a useful example, albeit they have a larger population.
    Most of the city (Metro/bus) are in a single Zone A. Go out beyond that, Zone B - a little more expensive. Logical, simple - sin é.

The arguments put forward by the NTA re distance are no longer valid.

im not sure we should open an issue with the NTA. I recall something about newbridge to Dublin being more than 12 euro by train. thats a big jump in price. If NTA reduce prices for Naas- Dublin, i can see people from Newbridge going mad. Also i hear that the reason parking is so bad at sallins train station is because people near Newbridge parking there to get the cheaper train fares. Obviously people lving beside newbridge train station will just use that one, but for people living close to newbridge, they are more likely to use naas one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

im not sure we should open an issue with the NTA. I recall something about newbridge to Dublin being more than 12 euro by train. thats a big jump in price. If NTA reduce prices for Naas- Dublin, i can see people from Newbridge going mad. Also i hear that the reason parking is so bad at sallins train station is because people near Newbridge parking there to get the cheaper train fares. Obviously people lving beside newbridge train station will just use that one, but for people living close to newbridge, they are more likely to use naas one.

Newbridge is well out of the SHZ. They should reduce prices from Newbridge alright especially on the trains but they can’t just keep extending the SHZ.
    Perhaps a medium hop zone or something should be set up. SHZ covers just the towns closest to Dublin.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Newbridge is well out of the SHZ. They should reduce prices from Newbridge alright especially on the trains but they can’t just keep extending the SHZ.
    Perhaps a medium hop zone or something should be set up. SHZ covers just the towns closest to Dublin.

There is an extra 4 minutes on the train between Newbridge and Naas. so cant say its "well out" of the SHZ if Naas is in the SHZ. if they put in a medium hop zone, chances there they will further break up the zones into long-medium and short-medium.

7 euro between dublin and naas is good value compared to what the dublin suburbs have to pay into Dublin city. Granted Bray/Greystones may be cheaper, but the electorate there with their money, and a FG stronghold are strong lobby.

Ive given up on travelling between naas and dublin by bus except on late nights. Hopefully the additional trains will arrive sometime this century.

emfifty wrote: »
    If everyone on this thread fired off an email to the NTA, it might get something started.
    The Naas fares are a nonsense given the comparisons you make to other SDZ locations.
    Newbridge are having the same problems with rip off fares because they are outside the SHZ.

Madrid is a useful example, albeit they have a larger population.
    Most of the city (Metro/bus) are in a single Zone A. Go out beyond that, Zone B - a little more expensive. Logical, simple - sin é.

The arguments put forward by the NTA re distance are no longer valid.
    I doubt that will happen, and the NTA don’t really care anyway because there is no political pressure. There is no political pressure because everyone in Naas just accepts it or are unaware of it.

To think it costs more to get on a 126 from one side of Naas to the other than Maynooth into Dublin or Bray to IKEA. It just baffles my mind. And the 139 is just as bad. There is literally no reason why that is so expensive unless they are trying to deter having to put on more buses as a result of demand.

It’s not like Naas is a tiny irrelevant little place. Sallins, Kill, Johnstown, and Naas must be well over 40k at this stage. It’s definitely the most populated area in county Kildare. A proper bus with actual fair fares that encourage use would be nice. Fare complexity and expense deters usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

/rant

Make sure your employer is on the taxsaver system and the net price reduces substantially.

I still don't see it as a rip-off, but aside from that, public transport should be far cheaper to encourage more to use it.

Certainly not free as anything free is abused, but no more than €100 per month for any commuter town and if it meant an extra 3 or 4 c on a litre of fuel that would be ring-fenced for a fare subsidy, then I would guess many motorists would not have an issue as it would benefit them greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I doubt that will happen, and the NTA don’t really care anyway because there is no political pressure. There is no political pressure because everyone in Naas just accepts it or are unaware of it.

To think it costs more to get on a 126 from one side of Naas to the other than Maynooth into Dublin or Bray to IKEA. It just baffles my mind. And the 139 is just as bad. There is literally no reason why that is so expensive unless they are trying to deter having to put on more buses as a result of demand.

It’s not like Naas is a tiny irrelevant little place. Sallins, Kill, Johnstown, and Naas must be well over 40k at this stage. It’s definitely the most populated area in county Kildare. A proper bus with actual fair fares that encourage use would be nice. Fare complexity and expense deters usage.

Have you brought it up with James lawless? He is good with commuter issues and has put considerable pressure on with the train service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Speaking of train fares, I infrequently have to get the train from or to Hazelhatch from Newbridge. The fare is E8.30 which is crazy.

Have you brought it up with James lawless? He is good with commuter issues and has put considerable pressure on with the train service
    Yes, he’s in fully agreement with me about it. In fact he had already been in contact with the NTA about it (but only in reference to the 139, not the 126) and replied:

“Route 139 operates outside the Dublin metropolitan area it does not come within the fare structure for Dublin Bus services. Accordingly, direct comparisons with Leap bus fares in Dublin are not appropriate and it is more comparable with Bus Éireann services where there is also no capping.”

What a stupid stupid stupid passing-the-buck style response. The 184 doesn’t leave County Wicklow and has the standard fare system with caps, hows that? So let me translate: basically the NTA is saying “shut the hell up, we’re going to charge you 3x more because you live in scummy Naas and not Balbriggan, Greystones, or Maynooth”. I have rang them and they say they can’t discuss these matters over the phone and to email them instead. I’ve sent three emails over the past few months - got no reply. That is why I’m so frustrated about it. Would love other people to give it a try. Why does the NTA exist again?

Hey everyone, would any of you know a good solicitor in Kildare area to represent a kid for possession of drugs and intent to supply? It's not me by the way but someone in my extended family.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hey everyone, would any of you know a good solicitor in Kildare area to represent a kid for possession of drugs and intent to supply? It's not me by the way but someone in my extended family.

Theres a guy with an office above Kalu in Naas. Eoin Madden. I hear his name mentioned before, seems sound. Think he's a leader in the Scouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You'll need a decent criminal solicitor. Tim kennelly would be highly recommended.

at the first hearing date in teh court, the judge will ask the kid if they have a soclitor and if they have funds. If funds are lacking, the judge will appoint a solicitor funded by teh state to represent the kid. May i suggest going down to naas courthouse in the morning to check what i am saying is accurate.

A solicitor will charge about 300euro an hour. so you will probably be looking at 2k a grand plus barrister fees of another 2k depending how many times it goes to court. So i suggest getting the state to pay.

at the first hearing date in teh court, the judge will ask the kid if they have a soclitor and if they have funds. If funds are lacking, the judge will appoint a solicitor funded by teh state to represent the kid. May i suggest going down to naas courthouse in the morning to check what i am saying is accurate.

A solicitor will charge about 300euro an hour. so you will probably be looking at 2k a grand plus barrister fees of another 2k depending how many times it goes to court. So i suggest getting the state to pay.

Approx. €50 initial consultation fee and circa €200-€250 per court appearance. You can apply for free legal aid and once your solicitor is on the panel, he/she will be appointed by the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Nimbys and idiots have managed to stop the 5G mast going into Naas Tennis Club. Between this, the cancellation of the ring road and the ****e broadband around the town people are doing their very best to kill off any chance the town has.

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Nimbys and idiots have managed to stop the 5G mast going into Naas Tennis Club. Between this, the cancellation of the ring road and the ****e broadband around the town people are doing their very best to kill off any chance the town has.

but but but some person on facebook said its bad for you and as you know, if its on facebook, it MAST be true!!

What's worse is some politicians are actually listening to these fools purely because they think there is a vote in it. Then you those who simply do not have the ability to think for themselves and believe anything these protest groups blab about.

we don't know enough about internet antennas yet. might be a good idea to block this. personally id be more worried about phones close to head, or these bluetooth headphones. and im basing this on what a physics professor from an irish university personally told me. we see how bad air pollution is now. But naas slow. i went outside last night and couldnt breath with the neighbours smoke, stings the eyes too.

the cancellation of the ring road meant that an additional 1000 houses cant be built in naas. ive no problem with 1000 houses as long as they built more schools and had more GPs to cope with a bulging at the seams town.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Approx. €50 initial consultation fee and circa €200-€250 per court appearance. You can apply for free legal aid and once your solicitor is on the panel, he/she will be appointed by the court.

thanks for that. and to note that a solictor cant charge you without agreeing charges. So in other words, id suggest going into a solicitors office in town and explain and see if they are on the panel. So like a free first consultation.

we don't know enough about internet antennas yet. might be a good idea to block this. personally id be more worried about phones close to head, or these bluetooth headphones. and im basing this on what a physics professor from an irish university personally told me. we see how bad air pollution is now. But naas slow. i went outside last night and couldnt breath with the neighbours smoke, stings the eyes too.

the cancellation of the ring road meant that an additional 1000 houses cant be built in naas. ive no problem with 1000 houses as long as they built more schools and had more GPs to cope with a bulging at the seams town.

But that’s the thing, we do know enough about them. To simplify it, the radio waves they use are old technology repurposed.

If there was a problem with mobile phones we would have seen a massive increase in health issues/brain cancers etc. over the last 20 years, we haven’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ticn99

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    But that’s the thing, we do know enough about them. To simplify it, the radio waves they use are old technology repurposed.

If there was a problem with mobile phones we would have seen a massive increase in health issues/brain cancers etc. over the last 20 years, we haven’t.

Bogwoppit & silver2020...can you state your Telecoms and Radiation background expertise?

Be nice to know how much you really know about 3-4G versus 5G and what the gain to Naas would be by having this technology...

It’s leaving cert physics, not difficult and you don’t need any particular expertise to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ticn99

Ah here, educate yourself a bit before pulling out the leaving cert card.

I done biology in the leaving cert...but I'm not going start claiming to be a DR of surgery and offer to do surgery on a patient

I wouldn’t expect somebody to understand complex surgery with leaving cert biology but anyone with leaving cert physics will understand non ionizing radiation and the reasons why 5G poses even less risk than 4G or 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not local but Bernard Stobie in Swords. He is in Naas court house occasionally on cases

• Advertisement

im not trying to be stingy here, but i was wondering if people get taxis home from dublin off the books?

To explain, ive noticed a good few dublin taxis in driveways beside me in naas. If i was to say to those drivers, if im in dublin late on a saturday night, can i get a lift back to naas when they are finishing their shift and heading home. And instead of say 70 euro which is what the meter would be, id give them 40 cash. the benefit for them is that they are going home anyway and the driver decides what time they are finishing in Dublin. so its more they are giving a 'neighbour' a lift. Wonder what would happen if the guards stopped them.

ive heard this being done before in the country. just wondering if this is a thing

Advertisement