Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassed at Mustang Sally's, Killarney

Options
  • 05-04-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Last Summer I was on a night out in Killarney with my girlfriend and her friends. We began the night in The Kube, and it was a nice club, but it was too packed so we decided to leave. They heard it was the same story in The Grand, and decided to go to Mustang Sally's. Before going there, my girlfriend told me that the doormen at this club have a bad reputation. My girlfriend does not look 21, and they had been making little of her one night for her own amusement. I am 21, but look much younger than that. This can cause trouble with bouncers, but it's generally okay once I show a second ID.

This was different. I went to the doormen, and I handed them my ID. One of them looked at it, then started laughing at me. He asked me what age I was, and I told him I was 21. With lots of people gathered around, he shouted over at the other door bouncer, smirking, and asked him 'do you reckon this fella is 21?'. The other guy replied 'not a hope'. He laughed at me again and handed back my ID to me saying 'no'. I was really embarrassed at this stage, I don't drink, I'm very quiet and nervous, and self conscious of how I look. He had caused a scene. I handed him a second ID, and just kept smirking, delighted that I had made his night so enjoyable. He wasn't budging, until a friend of my girlfriend gave out to him for being so rude. I was eventually let in. On the way out, I think it was the first time I've seen doormen not say 'thanks for coming' to customers on the way out, or something to that effect. In case anyone thinks I've lived a sheltered life, I've been out in Galway, Waterford, Dublin, Cork and Limerick and had never been made fun of by bouncers in such a way.

I suffer from depression, to the extent where I have contemplated suicide, largely due to a poor body image. I would single this incident out as one of the incidents that really convinced me there was something freakish about me. I was really humiliated. Has anybody else had problems at this nightclub?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Hi, not from Kerry bit felt compelled to post. You should be proud that you stood your ground in front of your girlfriend and the bouncers despite your timidness.

The best thing I'd say is to name and shame them, tell a friend to tell a friend, post a review if they have a Facebook etc.

You seem like a very decent person just trying to get along in the world and I'm sorry to hear of your depression and poor self image. I'm sure some Kerry crowd will be able to help you in depth but I just said I'd give my two cents as this story broke my heart. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I would single this incident out as one of the incidents that really convinced me there was something freakish about me.

There are people out there including bouncers that are <snip>. They were probably equally <snip> to other people on subsequent nights.

Although, you need to talk to someone qualified to help you with your feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

+1to the previous post and to yours buddy. There are lots of assh*les in the world you were just unfortunate to meet one on that particular night. Please take A positive vibe from the fact that there are normal people out there and speaking for myself would have been horrified by that....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am from Killarney and I can confirm the bouncers in that place are <snip>. Actually, it's the only pub/club in Killarney where I have had bad experiences with bouncers.

I always tended to avoid the place. The funny thing is it is known in town to be a bit of a "teeny bopper" place, it's alway full of under 18 year olds! Well, it was when I was younger anyway... (I'm 26 now!)

Anyway, take no notice. They are not very nice bouncers in that place. It's a fairly <snip> pub/club anyway, so you probably would have been better off if you handn't been allowed in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gentlebenjy

Thanks for the nice posts. I am improving in my battle against depression, and have been taking medication and professional advice so I will be okay in that regard! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Thanks for the nice posts. I am improving in my battle against depression, and have been taking medication and professional advice so I will be okay in that regard! Thanks again.

Even your username is so humble! God bless Benjy, hope your advising and medication goes well for you.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I am from Killarney and I can confirm the bouncers in that place are <snip>. Actually, it's the only pub/club in Killarney where I have had bad experiences with bouncers.

I always tended to avoid the place. The funny thing is it is known in town to be a bit of a "teeny bopper" place, it's alway full of under 18 year olds! Well, it was when I was younger anyway... (I'm 26 now!)

Anyway, take no notice. They are not very nice bouncers in that place. It's a fairly <snip> pub/club anyway, so you probably would have been better off if you handn't been allowed in ;)

That's interesting, by the way my girlfriend was talking to me, it seemed like it was a regular occurrence at that place. And yes, it was a dire club, although the bar staff and all that were fine I must say :) I went to the Kube as I said before that, and the bouncer was sound out! This was in spite of people behind him saying I hadn't a hope of getting in as I am young looking :P but I must say Mustang's was the worst experience I have had with bouncers by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Some people are drawn to the profession as they think it gives them as licence to act the hard man- there are plenty of nice ones too mind.

Write it off as a guy being a dick. None of us look like Brad Pitt I doubt he does either.

Talk to your councillor about it. Best of luck with your treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Also you have a girlfriend more than most round here - can't be too bad so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

Mustangs is a <snip> hole and all the staff are <snip>, not just the door staff. They have a Facebook page if you want to write a complaint but they get so many, even from locals, so it might not do any good. You would have been better off in the Kube, nicer staff there at least and the Crypt nightclub there is ok too. They couldn't pay me to go to mustangs again. kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

sorry to hear about your story gentlebenjy. its just another typical story of bouncers picking and choosing what people to refuse to get their own pleasure out of someone else's unhappiness

I had my own trouble years ago getting into CP's nightclub (called Electric now) in Galway, once I remember getting picked out while in the middle of a queue and told "not tonight", while other nights I would be heavily drunk and they had no problem letting me in. Go figure!

I mean this in the best possible way, but last summer? You still remember that they didn't say thanks?

Benjy, I think you may need to chat to someone about hanging on to stuff. I am very respectful of your condition. Don't seek solace in Boards.ie or any anonymous site. You may get a glib or flippant answer that hurts you more. And remember, there will be a time when you wish you were mistaken for being younger, in fact if I rocked up they'd probably say "collecting the kids?"

I mean this in the best possible way, but last summer? You still remember that they didn't say thanks?

Benjy, I think you may need to chat to someone about hanging on to stuff. I am very respectful of your condition. Don't seek solace in Boards.ie or any anonymous site. You may get a glib or flippant answer that hurts you more.

Thanks for the reply Conor, and I completely understand where you're coming from. However, I was far more hurt at the scene they made of me at the door of the nightclub when I was going in. The fact that they didn't say thanks for coming is neither here nor there really, I just remarked on it because I'd never seen that happen at a nightclub or a pub with a bouncer before, and I've been to enough of them!

In relation to holding onto stuff, I don't think it's unreasonable that I was hurt and have remained hurt by that incident. But I think what bothered me most is that I did nothing about it at the time (and probably never will because it's too late now), but I was simply curious as to whether or not other people have had bad experiences at this particular club. That is all! At least some few people even from Killarney are aware of the incident now, however small it may be!

To be honest, the bouncers really weren't keeping me away from much! The place is a dive :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I am from Killarney and I can confirm the bouncers in that place are c*unts. Actually, it's the only pub/club in Killarney where I have had bad experiences with bouncers.

Anyway, take no notice. They are not very nice bouncers in that place. It's a fairly sh*ite pub/club anyway, so you probably would have been better off if you handn't been allowed in ;)

Yeah, Mustangs is definitley for the 18-21 year old market, which is probably why the bouncers act like they do as they are constantly dealing with fake IDs but that's no excuse for their behaviour. The bouncers in the likes of The Grand, The Krypt, Lane, Kube etc are all dead on and very courteous. They have a Facebook page, so you contact them through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Last Summer I was on a night out in Killarney with my girlfriend and her friends. We began the night in The Kube, and it was a nice club, but it was too packed so we decided to leave. They heard it was the same story in The Grand, and decided to go to Mustang Sally's. Before going there, my girlfriend told me that the doormen at this club have a bad reputation. My girlfriend does not look 21, and they had been making little of her one night for her own amusement. I am 21, but look much younger than that. This can cause trouble with bouncers, but it's generally okay once I show a second ID.

This was different. I went to the doormen, and I handed them my ID. One of them looked at it, then started laughing at me. He asked me what age I was, and I told him I was 21. With lots of people gathered around, he shouted over at the other door bouncer, smirking, and asked him 'do you reckon this fella is 21?'. The other guy replied 'not a hope'. He laughed at me again and handed back my ID to me saying 'no'. I was really embarrassed at this stage, I don't drink, I'm very quiet and nervous, and self conscious of how I look. He had caused a scene. I handed him a second ID, and just kept smirking, delighted that I had made his night so enjoyable. He wasn't budging, until a friend of my girlfriend gave out to him for being so rude. I was eventually let in. On the way out, I think it was the first time I've seen doormen not say 'thanks for coming' to customers on the way out, or something to that effect. In case anyone thinks I've lived a sheltered life, I've been out in Galway, Waterford, Dublin, Cork and Limerick and had never been made fun of by bouncers in such a way.

I suffer from depression, to the extent where I have contemplated suicide, largely due to a poor body image. I would single this incident out as one of the incidents that really convinced me there was something freakish about me. I was really humiliated. Has anybody else had problems at this nightclub?

For someone gentle in nature you did yourself proud. I have worked in some of the biggest clubs and sometimes unfortunately the door staff although rare can go on power trips sometimes. And sometimes if they are hired from an outside agency.

It really is not unheard of, some people just end up in the wrong line of work or have a brat day. Depending on management if you chose to lodge a complaint although it may be a bit late now they might try fob you off. I think you handled it well kept quiet and didn't make a scene because the worse thing you can do is show justification for their actions. Making you out to be the bad guy.

I wouldn't take any notice of what an idiot says to you, probably annoyed he looks ancient compared to your 21 yrs :P But I probably wouldn't go back there no place deserves your custom with staff like that. Also I would not take what hurt you to heart sounds like the type of thing they say to everyone typical macho behavior.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Guys, please refrain from the bad language (now removed). I understand there are grievances with this particular place, but try to not use the type of language that was used in a few posts. Thanks
    MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Sorry about that! I genuinely had no idea we couldn't use bad language (with stars!) on Boards. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

^ Sorry about that! I genuinely had no idea we couldn't use bad language (with stars!) on Boards. :o

that's fine, but it shouldn't be needed to get a point accross and some of the words which were used are offensive to others (stars etc or not).

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I feel a lot better having posted about it, because I was very humiliated by the incident and did absolutely nothing about it. At least now a few people even from Killarney know about it. I also see that people from Killarney say this happens regularly in this place, so I feel like at least it's not something freakish that's wrong with me. In relation to my condition, I am improving with the help and medication. Thanks again.

We are closing this thread now. I think its all been dealt with at this stage.
    MOD

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement