Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet and Greet - Great the Meat

Options
  • 05-04-2015 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

So what's your opinions of most bands now offering Meet and Greets for sometimes ridiculous prices?

In my younger days i'd wait outside a venue for a band and most times they'd come out and meet/sign for fans, had some awesome experiences this way, Green Day being a highlight, some bands were/are a lot better than others, Dave Mustaine for example was a tool, at Manchester Apollo around 40 people waiting, a roadie comes out, shouts who wants some plectrums, throws them in 1 direction, when people were picking them up Mustaine ran onto the tour bus!!

These Meet and Greets now seem to be a big parcel of the tour, On Def Leppards upcoming December tour they'r charging 555EURO!!!!!!!!! Yep, that's right 555!!

Blackberry Smoke did one late last year and i think, IIRC, was around 35euro

One of the greatest British Rock Bands, Thunder, for their recent tour you just had to email them with what date you were going and 50 fans per gig were given free passes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Personally I'd have no problem paying around €50 to meet them if it was someone I'd really love to meet, maybe up to €100 at a stretch. €555 is mental and tbh is aimed at a different kind of fan, the cash rich, Facebook bragging, selfie taking kind.

I've been lucky enough to meet some of my favourite musicians like FNM, Aerosmith and Metallica and it hasn't cost me a penny(except metclub membership). Sadly it's harder to get near bands after gigs now, most are rushed out the door or enter their transport without going near the public. Paid meet and greets may soon be the only way to get to meet your idols and are seen as another revenue stream. I don't begrudge a smaller band doing it but a band like Leppard are just milking it and it stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

The only meet and greet I ever paid for was trivium which cost a tenner. Did not mind that at all. Thought it was a bargain considering how much I love the band. Any other meet and greets I've been to have been free or by chance. As you guys say justifying spending a huge amount I think the furthest I would go / have gone is a MetClub membership. Any higher forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't agree with meet and greets in theory, especially the higher priced ones, though I did agree when the lead vocalist of Devildriver once told me that they did it so that they could afford the gas and the extra food on tour that the budget didn't cover

I have been very lucky through Journalism to meet quite a lot of bands and never paid for any of it. But I've also spent my time standing in absurd weather to meet others at my own choosing, some of whom have cared enough to stop and sign, and others who haven't even glanced up as they pass by. I imagine that paying to have similar treatment and see your idols fake a smile would be really painful, so I'm glad I've always known at least whatever happens it was my choice and I paid nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When Peter Gabriel played Eastern Europe last year, he had special packages available. Bassist Tony Levin documented how well that went. Typically around ten people, but with some exceptions.

Lodz, Poland: two (2) people:
    lodzven2.jpg

Bratislava: one (1) person. So he got invited on stage, by himself, for the soundcheck:
    bratsndch2.jpg

:pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Remember first or second time Avenged Sevenfold playe, they had a meet and greet for fans who put up posters around advertising the gig..
    Sound bunch of lads may I add

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I dont care what band they are or how much I love them , theres no way in hell id pay for a meet and greet , it enough to be paying 50plus for ticket ,they could at least do the meet and greets for free either before the show or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

€555?? :eek::eek:

I think you'd wanna sit down with them, smoke cigars and drink the finest of brandy wearing monocles for that amount of money.

When Limp Bizkit played (yeah, yeah) there was a guy going around with a sign saying "Meet and Greet €50" and I was semi tempted, but also figured that was too much just for awkward Fred.

A tenner seems reasonable enough, if you're a big enough fan.

I've only ever done the arrive early/wait until after the show for some acts/musicians. And in the end, I waited around for Fred to come out :p

But sure, any excuse to look at Awkward Avril http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/11-breathtakingly-awkward-pictures-of-avril-lavigne-and-her#.iwDxOEVJ :rolleyes::pac:

Zwillinge wrote: »
    When Limp Bizkit played (yeah, yeah) there was a guy going around with a sign saying "Meet and Greet €50" and I was semi tempted, but also figured that was too much just for awkward Fred.

You'll be happy to know that you saved yourself a painful encounter.

The "Meet and Greet" on that particular tour (or the UK version of it) consisted of drinking a lukewarm beer with John & Sam while Wes & Fred were off taking a shower or having a **** or whatever...you got a few pieces of memorabilia - a lanyard and a t shirt plus a discount on merch....it was probably the most pathetic effort ever made towards meet and greet (especially as it was after the gig and the guys were exhausted)

But since I didn't pay for it I'll just say that Sam and John were lovely guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i too remember hanging outside venues to see artists arriving and stuff or meeting them around town.
    there was no meet and greet then. they would usually be happy to talk **** for a while with fans.

I think this high dollar meet and greet thing is extortionate and wrong.

I know they have to eat too but i just think its not metal/rock to meet fans on the basis of how much they pay you

I know how hard i saved for my early albums and gigs and there was no way i could have afforded a meet and greet and now there is no way i could ever meet them after a gig unless i had the money......

different world now.

remember meeting Jim from Faith no more in bruxelles when they were doing the trinity ball and giving out to him for the top hat gig where they were hours late and unapologetic, meeting hetfield in south wiliam street and chatting about his cast coming off soon

Yeah positive experiences and nice to see them but.....

I wouldn't pay for the privelige of meeting any of them, and shame on them for the exploitation of their record buying public.

Metallica Family!.....at a price......

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Metallica Family!.....at a price......

Seems odd you would single out Metallica, I just looked into how much they charge and it seems reasonable.. they have a fan club, you join it and pay about 40 quid, this gets you a t-shirt, access to a bunch of stuff on their website, a sub to their magazine and a bunch of other tat in the post, you can get pre-sale show tickets and it also gives you access to meet and greets and fan events for no additional cost. If I was a die-hard fan, which I'm not, that's really not that bad.

I can't imagine paying for a meet and greet, just seems really cringey. Back when I first started going to metal concerts, I was all about it, but I grew out of it. Hanging around outside the Ambassador for 3 hours before a gig and an hour or two after was insanity, but in saying that did get to meet every band I went to see, they'd almost always come out to sign stuff and pose for pictures.

Do bands intentionally not do this now, as they're trying to flog the meet and greets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

fair enough mark, shouldn't have picked metallica above much more deserving acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

It's been years since I actually went to a gig (simply haven't had the time; I've also seen every band I love a good few times during my formative years, so I don't feel the need any more. Not really the actions of a die-hard fan!).

I remember meeting a lot of band members in the past (either through hovering around after gigs or through pure luck and chance "in real life", as it were) and it was a great experience.

But this idea of paying for a meet and greet. I don't know. It just smacks of bleeding fans for a few extra quid. I would expect this f*ckwittery from pop music bands, but it just seems so un-metal for it to be going on. I could kind of sympathise with a struggling band doing it (but then again, would they have fans who would shell out enough?). Not so much a big band (but then again, they've squillions of fans, so they're bound to have a few rich ones who will shell out the blood money).

It is just very gimme-gimme-gimme. It's very much like something Gene Simmons would do, although I'm not sure if he started it, it just seems like such a Gene thing to do. But one thing about Gene is that at least he has the common goddamn decency to be open and proud of his money-grabbing ways (to quote Full Metal Jacket: the courtesy to give you a reach-around while f*cking you in the ass). With Gene and KISS you know exactly what you're getting and you know that they just see gold in them thar hills fans.

With other bands, it just seems a bit. Sleazy or something.

And I'm f*cking pissing myself at the Avril Lavigne pictures. What a precious f*cking princess. That is pathetic carry-on from her. I mean, good Jesus. I'd never be a fan of hers, but that just makes me sick to see how she won't even deign to have a slight bit of physical contact with her fans.

That said, a fool and his money are soon parted. As long as the fans are willing to spend silly money to get up close and personal, I can't see this trend stopping or slowing down any time soon. In fact, I can see it growing and picking up speed as time goes on.

meeting hetfield in south wiliam street and chatting about his cast coming off soon

I find that rather amusing to be honest, most reports from that period would have you believe James Hetfield was one of the most unapproachable people going and was consistently drunk...yet my experiences with James have been rather the opposite. That being said I never found him much of a conversationalist and rather just a quick "hello, lovely to meet you" before he moved on

Faith No More were all extraordinarily hospitable and didn't mind chatting, especially Mike Bordin. But probably the best repose I've had with people in that situation would be Bumblefoot, Dez Fafara, Brock (from 36 Crazyfists), Corey Taylor (surprisingly), Joe Elliot, Lars Ulrich, Phil Demmel and Wednesday 13 - also Dean from Theory Of A Deadman is a really nice bloke and Zach from Shinedown is lovely

Perhaps because I was always press they were putting on their "gameface" when I came into the room but I've met a lot of people who haven't known I was a Journalist and still treated me with general kindness and respect. As you would anyone else. I certainly never felt I got any special treatment.

It would actually be a struggle, thinking about it now, to name someone who was really rude or abrasive for any reason. Mike Patton was slightly but in his defence he had a huge head cold and he could have easily refused to speak to anyone full stop.
    And I'm f*cking pissing myself at the Avril Lavigne pictures. What a precious f*cking princess. That is pathetic carry-on from her. I mean, good Jesus. I'd never be a fan of hers, but that just makes me sick to see how she won't even deign to have a slight bit of physical contact with her fans.

You should check out the Rihanna pictures from a similar situation....she doesn't mind her fans have a little touch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

You should check out the Rihanna pictures from a similar situation....she doesn't mind her fans have a little touch

Fair play, I'm no fan of Rhianna, but she does seem to make an effort with her meet & greets, as evidenced here :D

Also, check out Kelly Clarkson's meet 'n' greet pics, some of them are brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

scudzilla wrote: »

These Meet and Greets now seem to be a big parcel of the tour, On Def Leppards upcoming December tour they'r charging 555EURO!!!!!!!!! Yep, that's right 555!!

I remember seeing an MTV interview with Joe Elliott at the 1996 Vibe For Phillo gig in Dublin, and he mentioned how cool it was that Lizzy used to allow 4 fans into their dressing room at a time to meet the band after gigs. So cool, he said they borrowed the idea and do the same. How times change, I guess!

Meet and Greets are one thing but what are the opinions on the paid guitar lessons some bands are doing? Big fan of Mastodon, when they came for a gig last year I saw ads that Bill was giving guitar lessons to the first 10 people who mailed him. I mailed, he responded telling me that it costs 150 euro for the 20 minute experience. Big fan of Mastodon but really could not justify that expense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Meet and Greets are one thing but what are the opinions on the paid guitar lessons some bands are doing? Big fan of Mastodon, when they came for a gig last year I saw ads that Bill was giving guitar lessons to the first 10 people who mailed him. I mailed, he responded telling me that it costs 150 euro for the 20 minute experience. Big fan of Mastodon but really could not justify that expense!

I seen that and was curious, but not a big enough fan to be one of the first ten to meet and learn some tricks from their idol.

€150?? I honestly thought it was a "good thing for the fans" for free, don't I feel foolish now? >.<; :o:o

And also a little disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Speaking of which, get your credit cards ready, tickets go on sale next Friday

http://www.metalireland.com/2015/04/24/chris-slade-dublin-drum-clinic/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've had quite a few Meet and Greets over the years and never paid for any, here's my experience

IRON MAIDEN

Think it was May 1990 and i won a competition on Radio 1 to play paintball with Iron Maiden and Thunder, great day out but only Bruce and Janicj turned up from Maiden, so a few years later, on the Virtual XI tour i contacted the management, told them about winning the comp and only 2 turned up and asked if they could sort me, my mate and small son out for a Manchester gig, arrived and were given passes, along with some FC winners, met Nicko and Jan before the gig, went onstage to sing Heaven Can Wait then went backstage after and met them all (apart from Blaze), that's the experience the FC got at the time, and it was free, just had to win the draw

METALLICA

Far and away the worst experience i've had, was backstage at Dynamo Festival in Holand, late 90's and got talking to a record company girl, she gave me a pas for the Meet and Greet, the exact same the Fan Club were getting, now i fcukin love Metallica but this was just garbage
    All lined up, told whatever band members came out a max of 2 items each to sign, no photo's and try not to talk too much.
    Jason came out and signed everything and talked, James came out, heard Apocalyptica on the stage (which we were on the side of) and ran up to see them, came back 10 mins later , by which time the security guy shouted only 1 auto per person and no chat.
    That was it, over, Lars and Kirk never bothered their arse, although i've heard it has changed for the better now (even though apparently James has stopped doing them)

DROPKICK MURPHYS

Far and away the best experience ever, they launched their Signed and Sealed album in Dublin last Jan with 2 gigs, they were selling Meet and Greets for 125Euro, with all proceeds going to the bands Claddagh fund.
    2 days before the gig i won a pair on Nove
    Turned up at 5pm, were given an album, exclusive t-shirt and this smart as fcuk poster, limited to 125, signed by the artist, it was a real thick material too.
    Went into the main arena and Al jumped down, came over with a cooler of beers and gave us all one, told us to help ourselves to what was left.
    The band then did a soundcheck, playing 6 full songs, chatting to us inbetween, must have been around 20 of us there.
    They finished then came down and chatted to us all for 30mins. I asked Ken if they'd ever consider leaving Boston for Paddy's day and playing Dublin, he said it was a great idea, look what happened this year ;)

Think it was May 1990 and i won a competition on Radio 1 to play paintball with Iron Maiden and Thunder, great day out but only Bruce and Janicj turned up from Maiden

What an experience
    went onstage to sing Heaven Can Wait then went backstage after and met them all (apart from Blaze)

I take it back! Bloody hell! So how did this come about then? Did everyone get to join in or was it during a soundcheck or something? Were you introduced onstage? Did you play an instrument as well?
    late 90's and got talking to a record company girl, she gave me a pas for the Meet and Greet

Did you at least give her the thank you she was after? lol
    Jason came out and signed everything and talked

What a guy. I probably would have been just happy with that myself. I remember James Hetfield being really arrogant when I met him, and this was pre-rehab - least in the early 90's you could excuse his behaviour on being drunk lol
    I asked Ken if they'd ever consider leaving Boston for Paddy's day and playing Dublin, he said it was a great idea, look what happened this year ;)

I give you full credit for that decision

• Advertisement

What an experience

I take it back! Bloody hell! So how did this come about then? Did everyone get to join in or was it during a soundcheck or something? Were you introduced onstage? Did you play an instrument as well?

Did you at least give her the thank you she was after? lol

What a guy. I probably would have been just happy with that myself. I remember James Hetfield being really arrogant when I met him, and this was pre-rehab - least in the early 90's you could excuse his behaviour on being drunk lol

I give you full credit for that decision

The Maiden thing, we turned up before the gig and were given passes, told to meet at the front bar at a certain time, there was about 15 or so of us, we were taken backstage and Nicko and Jan came out, Nicko gave me a set of sticks for my lad, sound guy he was. As we were leaving the bands guy told everyone to be there at the end of the 3rd song, which we were, we were then taken round the back of the stage and onto the stage to sing the chorus of Heaven. I had my lad on my shoulders and stood right behind 'Arry, and next to Slaven Bilic (ex West Ham player).
    Funny thing i remember is we were in the wings waiting to go on, and Nicko was lobbing sticks at us :D
    When we met the band after they were all so fcukin cool, Dave Murray has to be one of the nicest guys in the business.

DROPKICK MURPHYS

Far and away the best experience ever, they launched their Signed and Sealed album in Dublin last Jan with 2 gigs, they were selling Meet and Greets for 125Euro, with all proceeds going to the bands Claddagh fund.
    2 days before the gig i won a pair on Nove
    Turned up at 5pm, were given an album, exclusive t-shirt and this smart as fcuk poster, limited to 125, signed by the artist, it was a real thick material too.
    Went into the main arena and Al jumped down, came over with a cooler of beers and gave us all one, told us to help ourselves to what was left.
    The band then did a soundcheck, playing 6 full songs, chatting to us inbetween, must have been around 20 of us there.
    They finished then came down and chatted to us all for 30mins. I asked Ken if they'd ever consider leaving Boston for Paddy's day and playing Dublin, he said it was a great idea, look what happened this year ;)

I went to see these guys for the first time on paddys day just gone. Don't own an album, went accompanying a friend. Ended up on stage with them and had a long chat with Ken after as he hung around to chat with fans. Lovely guy! Just feel ashamed I'd no idea who he was before the gig though...

I went to see these guys for the first time on paddys day just gone. Don't own an album, went accompanying a friend. Ended up on stage with them and had a long chat with Ken after as he hung around to chat with fans. Lovely guy! Just feel ashamed I'd no idea who he was before the gig though...

Ken really is a spot on guy, so down to earth, does a LOT for charity (his claddagh fund) and also does a lot for the local community in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Joe Elliot of def leppard is worth 70 million alone.

Mick fleetwood is doing a meet and greet for Fleetwood macs Dublin shows and they only cost e600/e750. Poor guy he's only worth 8.5 million . My heart goes out to him.

What a life these guys have

If I had the money id go for the def leopard VIP but sadly I don't

Advertisement