Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport for mixed race baby

Options
  • 05-04-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi! I have a question regarding newborn passport. I am a romanian citizen, living in Ireland for the past 2 years, my husband is an Indian citizen and we have a baby (2 weeks old), born in Dublin. For what type of passport do I need to apply for him? Irish, romanian or indian? It's very confusing for me. Can you please help me with an answer?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Hi! I have a question regarding newborn passport. I am a romanian citizen, living in Ireland for the past 2 years, my husband is an Indian citizen and we have a baby (2 weeks old), born in Dublin. For what type of passport do I need to apply for him? Irish, romanian or indian? It's very confusing for me. Can you please help me with an answer?

Thanks!

You can apply for for all 3.

Have you got your babies birth certificate yet ? You will need this to apply for the passport.

The law changed a few years back. How long has your husband been living in Ireland ? It better if you have been living here for 3 years or more.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

You can get information about Irish passports on here and submit questions.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/

You can get the application form at your local garda station or post office. They're usually on the Front desk of the station. Worth picking one up. There will be information attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Thanks!

Romanian or Indian, irish is dependent on your residency..

Indian will be a pain traveling in Europe so go with the Romanian and check out the Irish residency requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Your child may or may not be eligible for an Irish passport - it's worth checking out. It would be handy to have., especially if you plan on staying here.

Between me and my husband we are citizens of four countries - we got our son an Irish passport (but I am Irish and we live here) and then chose one other country where he was entitled to citizenship where we thought it would come in most useful in his future (New Zealand). We won't apply for citizenship for him for the other two countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Just be aware that India doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Advertisement