Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat behaviour- rescue cat settling in.

• 05-04-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Ok, well after months (and MONTHS) of waiting, we can finally welcome Shade into the Baby and Crumble household!

However, I've never settled a rescue cat in before, so I wanted to check one or two bits of behavious with you guys. As background she came to us from a wonderful foster home where she's been for over a year. She had to have an eye removed as it was infected from some cruelty she was subject to. She's so sweet.

We have her in one room, with her food, bed, a scratching toy and litter tray. It's also our sitting room (only room we could really use as a room she can't get anywhere else from to let her settle) and so there's a few little presses she can hide in too. The room isn't really furnished as such (we're doing up our house room by room so this is the most settled one).

She has been keeping herself to herself for the last 2 days. The first day she was a little freaked out (understandable) so we just left her be. She didn't use her litter tray at all, only ate a little bit of food (but did so while we were in the room).

We went and got a feliway yesterday and so today she's not in her previous hidey hole, but up on a shelf a bit more open. She ate all her food last night and has used the litter tray.

Since we got her even though she's been hiding if we went to her and scratched her she was instantly rubbing up against us, purring and kneading. She's even been doing the quivering tail thing (she's neutered so not getting ready to spray).

Am I right in thinking she's fine with us, just needs more settling time into her new environment? I want to make sure she's as relaxed as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

She is settling in. Don't rush things. When she is sure you can be trusted she will make her move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yes, she's settling, just takes time, it's all new and she's not sure if it's all safe.
    Let her wander about freely, try a little playtime, something like rolled up balls of paper, or a feather wand, get down on the floor and play with them yourselves and wait for her to join in.

Once she seems happy in her one room, try leaving the door open as you go in and out of the room, cats are nosey, once she's happy with you and feels at ease she will follow you around and explore herself (mostly at night).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

That's great, thanks guys! I've had lots of cats but no rescues so this is all new to me!

She's so sweet too. Such a lovely nature for a cat that really wasn't treated well until the rescue group found her. Lots of people turned her down for rehomjng because she's fully black and only has one eye. Poor thing.

Pics as soon as she's settled!
    I love black cats, haven't had one yet though. We're full at 4 cats here for now, but one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yep, she's fine. Just getting the lay of the land. Looking forward to pics.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Poor little dote. She sounds lovely.

When we first got Arya she was kind of frantic in pushing at us and kneading, almost like she was desperately saying "I'm good, I love you, please love me". She is still very affectionate but not frantically so anymore. It's lovely when they settle and the trust builds. The first time Arya sneaked up on me and pounced gently on my hand was very cute.

Well I think the settling in is continuing apace... Last night she was in her little hidey hole (although not the most 'hidden' one!) and when she heard me come in she popped out and said hello, curling around my legs! Ok, the fact I was making her dinner probably helped, but hey I'm taking it as a win! She was a little skittish this morning when I brought in her breakfast, but settled quickly with me. Nearly broke my heart to go out to work though!

I realise that most folks might not be interested but we had a little nap together this afternoon! She came out and said hello after I got in from work and happily settled down beside me on our makeshift couch! I'm bloody delighted!!!

I realise that most folks might not be interested but we had a little nap together this afternoon! She came out and said hello after I got in from work and happily settled down beside me on our makeshift couch! I'm bloody delighted!!!

Ahh, I'm delighted for you. Now she's chosen you as her human, slave.:D

Theres nothing quite like a bit of sleepy purring love.

• Advertisement

Well she's settling in nicely! 😊

344448.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I love black cats, his one eye makes him distinguished looking. Great to see a rescue settling in so well

What a stunner!!

She is gorgeous!

She's a beauty alright! 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

She's lovely :D congrats on the new addition :) have fun trying to get good pictures; I could never get one with my old black cat where he didn't just look like a blob of black :P

Yeah the one eye doesn't help either! 😄

Ahh, she's gorgeous. Black cats seem to have such sweet natures. Poppy would cuddle up all day if she could. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

She's gorgeous. We have ten, but my favourite oops I mean what would be my favourite if I had a favourite is the black one ;)

Yeah the one eye doesn't help either! 😄

All the cuteness of 2 eyes packed into 1!!

Gorgeous!

My daughters friend has a black cat called Doom!
    It's the sweetest cuddliest little thing, I tried sneaking her home in my jacket but she purrs to loud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

She's beautiful, OP. I too am the proud owner of a one-eyed black rescue cat, I've had her since she was five weeks old.

She was extremely nervous and in pain from her infected eye when I found her outside my house.

She's grown to be a most affectionate companion, she always wants to be on my lap purring and she likes to race me up and down the stairs.

I would be lost without her!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

She's a beauty alright! 😊

and of course you are NOT biased in the least!! ;)

shes lovely - lovely name too - great to read that shes settling in. As a new to cats person, its so lovely having a purring cat to stroke and snuggle up to - and that shes starting to trust you. Is she an indoor only cat or going outside too?

Advertisement