Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult dog behaviour with a puppy. Reason for concern?

• 05-04-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

I was recently puppy-sitting two pups for 3 days, same breed as my own two (neutered) boys, about 13 weeks old, a male and a female.

It really brought to light how my boys might be with a puppy in the house, but I don't know if 3 days is ample enough time to judge. One of my boys expressed quite "dominant" (best way to describe it) behaviour with the girl by the 3rd day, initially he avoided her completely, if she moved near him he would move away.

By the 3rd day he started to try and interact with her, but I caught him on two occasions standing on top of the lil girl making growling/whining sounds. She wasn't an in-your-face puppy at all with him, she acted as if "I know you are a bit frustrated and that's okay, excuse me while I go chew on this ball or play with my brother." He would also try and nip her if she was trying to play with a toy or the other puppy. I redirected him away every time he did something I didn't like him doing, I also tried to give him loads of positive attention and pets when they were around.

I'm really struggling to understand what he was thinking when he was behaving like this. Should I be worried? Was his behaviour in any way normal? This is also their first experience with puppies.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement