Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on privately sold car

Options
  • 05-04-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I've never been insured and only have a provisional license.

If I buy (privately) a second hand car - which I might not know the make and model of until the day before - how can I legally drive it home?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you find out the make and model the day before, then you can get insurance from a website on the spot, although if you're only on a provisional you'll probably pay through the nose for it. Have you any idea of what sort of car you're looking for? Is it just something very basic to learn on?

If you're going through a broker and you'll be buying the car on the weekend, you won't be able to arrange the insurance until the Monday. What you can do is get a friend or family member who has their own car and insurance to drive your car home for you. They'll need to check their own insurance to ensure that they are covered to do this, but most policies will allow the main driver to drive another car if it's owned by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I've never been insured and only have a provisional license.

If I buy (privately) a second hand car - which I might not know the make and model of until the day before - how can I legally drive it home?

Since you are on a learners permit, the person in the car with you, might have insurance to drive it, let them drive it instead, otherwise, most companies allow you to switch cars over the phone, so unless you buy on a Sunday, you might be fine.

Before you purchase a car privately, you should really get a CARTELL check, before you hand over any money.

Advertisement