Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before vet?

• 05-04-2015 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,
    My dog is suddenly limping. He was fine last night and fine this morning but I've come home and he's not touching his front paw to the ground at all :( I can't see anything in or on paw at all. He is letting me touch the leg ok but flinches ever so slightly when I move down to the paw. Otherwise he's acting as normal.
    He would have only been outside for a few minutes at a time this morning to do his biz and then straight back in again. with the long evenings and good weather he has probably had a bit more exercise than usual over the past few days with a 4 mile run in the woods off lead the night before last and a long walk on lead yesterday evening. but as I said... he was fine this morning :confused:

Reading around it seems the normal course of action is "leave it a few days and see" .
    I'm asking mainly because as a rescue dog with " people issues" going to the vet is really traumatic for him:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I really depends on your dog and how much pain you think they're in? With my vet she'll rest them for a week on painkillers and then if there's no improvemnt then she'll take them back in for X-rays. So I'd normally rest them 2-3 days first and then see how they are then. I don't always give painkillers straight away because I find they can mask the pain so much the dog thinks they're fine and over does it making the injury worse. My boy was completely lame on one leg last month after being in for xrays on a different leg! He waitied until we were down the road from the vets to start holding it up :o but was fine the next day so I assumed he might have whacked it in the crate in the vets. He's terrified of the vets too so I normally try to wait if it's not something urgent before going over. We have a supply of painkillers from the vet to keep in stock and save us going over and stressing him out - he had operations on his legs so they get sore from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Actually the more I watch him the more I'm inclined to think he is in pain. He's in his little hidey hole between the sofa and armchair (his place) and while he usually does a lot of licking (paws.. probably anxiety thing) he isnt licking at alll now. He's also not following me to the kitchen as usual even when the fridge is opened :( so yeah I think he's in pain. Poor thing. I'll keep watch and see how he looks in the morning and decide then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Tea Tree wrote: »
    Actually the more I watch him the more I'm inclined to think he is in pain. He's in his little hidey hole between the sofa and armchair (his place) and while he usually does a lot of licking (paws.. probably anxiety thing) he isnt licking at alll now. He's also not following me to the kitchen as usual even when the fridge is opened :( so yeah I think he's in pain. Poor thing. I'll keep watch and see how he looks in the morning and decide then.

Poor lad, hope he gets on okay. Definitely ring your veterinarian, some are open tomorrow and if (hopefully not) it gets worse they may able to see you tonight. Cage rest him regardless. Examine the paw as best you can, if there is blood or swelling, consider placing the affected pad in a shallow bath of cooled, boiled, salty water for 5-15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Improved slightly over the couple of days but still limping so took him to the vet this morning. Abscess on his toe. No idea how or why but hopefully will be more comfortable now with treatment.

Advertisement