Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why O'Neills?

Options
  • 05-04-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys I was just wondering why do GAA clubs always chose O'Neills. I am a club chairman for a US club and I want to order a set of jerseys for my team but it seems that there is only one choice for GAA jerseys. Is there any others? And why do so many clubs chose O'Neills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think there are a few other players in that market now, Azzurri being one that comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gaelic gear, kukra etc.
    Would assume being in the states you can choose whoever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

you can wear whatever brand you like,azzuri,kukri,masita...

but playing a match with anything other than an o'neills ball is blasphemy

zzfh wrote: »

but playing a match with anything other than an o'neills ball is blasphemy

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought that GAA jerseys etc. had to be from an 'Irish' company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Because they're the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Because they're the best.

The quality in O'Neills has dropped considerably in the last decade. There is much better value out there, Azzuri and Masita offer similar quality usually for a cheaper price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

You are obviously an O'Brien who is offended by the clan name on the garments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Generally the O'Neill's stuff is better than other companies - especially the leisurewear

But others like KC Sports do good quality jerseys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I thought that GAA jerseys etc. had to be from an 'Irish' company?

Not anymore, used to be that it had to be but that was gotten rid of when Adidas (I think) challenged it in the European court. I think the only rule is that official gear has to have the GAA logo on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Didn't Kerry have an Adidas jersey at one stage in the 90s?

Masita and Azurri have entered the market in recent years but I think O'Neills look the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

duffman13 wrote: »
    The quality in O'Neills has dropped considerably in the last decade. There is much better value out there, Azzuri and Masita offer similar quality usually for a cheaper price.

Am not convinced by either and have the misfortune of having had both suppliers at various stages. O'Neills may not be as good as they were however they are still above the others mentioned and to me anyway that's worth paying a premium.

Granted cost is king and for other teams the other suppliers may be their only option. Good to have some choice/competition but I still rank O'Neills ahead of the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Have found the 'Azzurri' jerseys every bit as good as O' Neill's when ordering them for underage teams,and they players like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _and_

Official Guide - Part 1
    Rule 1.17
    Playing gear and equipment
    (a)
    All jerseys, shorts, stockings, tracksuits and kitbags, worn and/or used for official matches, in pre-match or post-match television or video interviews and photographs, shall be of Irish manufacture. This requirement shall also apply to replica playing gear.

branding
    (b)
    The Association’s corporate logo shall be displayed on all jerseys worn by players during official
    matches, in pre-match and post-match television or video interviews and photographs.

Not allowed put up links here but if you google "GAA approved suppliers" and "camogie approved suppliers" you'll get the relevant web pages listing comanies that have a license to use the logos. Ladies Football don't seem to have list of suppliers on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

We (a club in Asia) chose O'Neills to support Irish brands. In fairness, there are a lot of far cheaper options in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

_and_ wrote: »
    Not allowed put up links here but if you google "GAA approved suppliers" and "camogie approved suppliers" you'll get the relevant web pages listing comanies that have a license to use the logos. Ladies Football don't seem to have list of suppliers on their website.

Here is the link.

GAA approved suppliers (These companies are the only suppliers authorized to use the GAA mark on playing kit and leisurewear for GAA Clubs, Schools and Colleges.):
    Azzurri
    Intosport
    Kukri
    Masita
    O'Neills
    KC Leisure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

thelad95 wrote: »
    Didn't Kerry have an Adidas jersey at one stage in the 90s?

Masita and Azurri have entered the market in recent years but I think O'Neills look the best.

I think their jersey carried the Adidas logo
    in the '97 final, the one where it had the wider than normal gold band.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

According to Mick O'Dwyer, Kerry wore adidas in 1982 - no logos and the labels removed. They got a contribution for the holiday fund from adidas and a fine from GAA. I assume they still made a profit. They also wore an adidas kit in late 90s, the lighter green one. Logo in the middle of the shirt and on the shorts - divils!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    According to Mick O'Dwyer, Kerry wore adidas in 1982 - no logos and the labels removed. They got a contribution for the holiday fund from adidas and a fine from GAA. I assume they still made a profit. They also wore an adidas kit in late 90s, the lighter green one. Logo in the middle of the shirt and on the shorts - divils!

I think Cork footballers wore black tape over the Adidas logo for a Munster Final sometime in the late seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

ahh them were the days,more likely to see gaa teams wearing Aldi-das jerseys nowadays.

• Advertisement

zzfh wrote: »
    ahh them were the days,more likely to see gaa teams wearing Aldi-das jerseys nowadays.

If they even have the numbers to put out a team, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

_and_ wrote: »
    Ladies Football don't seem to have list of suppliers on their website.

I suppose that might be because they aren't in the GAA.

Advertisement