Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issued Verbal Warning

Options
  • 05-04-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long time poster here but staying anon.
    2wks ago there was an incident in my work and, to cut a long story short, i was given a verbal warning from my manager, i signed for this as i was partly to blame. During the meeting she kept on saying that i was going to be sent to HR and that it wasn't looking good for me.
    This was my first ever warning after 8 1/2yrs service.
    My question is this, after getting a verbal warning for an incident, is it legal to be given further , and harsher reprimands from HR for the same incident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

• You received a verbal warning.
    • You signed an acknowledgement of receiving the warning.
    • HR were copied on the acknowledgement.

99% of the time that will be the end of the matter if the initiating behavior/incident/performance is not repeated.

The only way that I can see this escalating is:
    • You have multiple previous warnings and are on a PIP. (Which you say you do not)
    • The manager is trying to let you off lightly for a serious incident and he expects HR to escalate his decision to a more serious warning or dismissal. ( I would not worry about this unless you did something that you would expect to get fired for in your company)

Other than that it may have been hot-air to drive her warning home....

But having said that, getting a warning of any time, "Does not look good" from a performance perspective at any time, she could have been warning you that your performance rating was at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why send you to HR is my question.

If a warning is issues and accepted I can't see why that's not the end if it.

Even if HR were reviewing the case any upgrade to the warning surely would be done by your manager.

To me it's odd your being sent to HR. Surely your manager would have passed this bye HR before delivering the verbal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every company has different procedures, and so long as they are followed it's legal.

Length of service is irrelevant if it's a serious incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies, she is an utter tyrant, since she took over our dept 2yrs ago the place has gone to crap. Our HR office is in another office 3miles away, hence her threats to send me to the office for further disciplinary.
    I understand length of service doesn't matter when the offense is serious, I only mentioned it as this wasn't that serious, so my exemplary 8 1/2yr service should have counted for something.
    There's a few of us who have been taking notes and recording evidence against her for a bullying case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

warningboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, she is an utter tyrant, since she took over our dept 2yrs ago the place has gone to crap. Our HR office is in another office 3miles away, hence her threats to send me to the office for further disciplinary.
    I understand length of service doesn't matter when the offense is serious, I only mentioned it as this wasn't that serious, so my exemplary 8 1/2yr service should have counted for something.
    There's a few of us who have been taking notes and recording evidence against her for a bullying case

Employees should expect their service record to get them time off at short notice, a promotion or even help protect them during redundancies..
    Its in no way some sort of good will to cause managers to turn a blind eye to misconduct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The disciplinary process works both ways (sort of). If there are legitimate issues raise a grievance, just be aware of the potential fallout.

I'd appeal the warning, the meeting sounded like a farce TBH. The idea behind a meeting it to work out, impartially what happened.

Advertisement