Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinus surgery

• 05-04-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭

I have chronic sintus as I had a ct scan a few months back and they where all full of fluid that is sapose to drain away when they don't drain you end up with sinus infections.
    I am on a course of drugs to clear it up buy it could be two/ three weeks later when I get them again as any sort of head cold sets them off.

Waiting to see a Ent doc and am going to say to him/ her that I want surgery as I can't be taking a course of antiboxides every few weeks.
    What iam asking is has many of ye had the surgery does it work or did it make things worse.
    I can't see how it can get any worse for me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

naughto wrote: »
    I have chronic sintus as I had a ct scan a few months back and they where all full of fluid that is sapose to drain away when they don't drain you end up with sinus infections.
    I am on a course of drugs to clear it up buy it could be two/ three weeks later when I get them again as any sort of head cold sets them off.

Waiting to see a Ent doc and am going to say to him/ her that I want surgery as I can't be taking a course of antiboxides every few weeks.
    What iam asking is has many of ye had the surgery does it work or did it make things worse.
    I used the antibiotics in conjunction with a steroid nasal spray prescribed by the doctor. The name of the spray escapes me but it finally cleared up a very stubborn dose of sinusitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I have the same problem, from nose been broken a few times when I used to box, one nostril I think is at 20% intake the other 60% . I have constant sinusitis. Head aches (on forehead). I haven't had surgery so can't comment on that, I knew a guy I used to work with get a bone removed from his nose, cause his wife was up the wall with his snoring, I didn't see any visual difference to his nose post surgery and main point is it fixed him.

There are many holistic options you should try, well basically try every Jaysus thing before surgery. and google the goose out of the surgery, which I'm sure u have!
    best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I've gone through a load of them sprays none of them worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Yeah got operation alright brilliant job was the same as yourself always sick, all came to a head when I was hospitalized for a week with bronchitis and had severe pressure on my brain had to get a ct scan within a hour of been omitted, ct scan will reveal all, I had polyops blocking all my sinuses up....
    Operation is fairly sore though and takes about 6 months before the swelling goes down and your breathing goes back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

A long shot but...I had blocked sinuses there recently with that flu that was going around. Got talking to someone who suffers frim their sinuses and he told me to try ACTIFED TONIC. It cleared me within an hour of taking it. I have problems too with a broken nose from my hurling days. Generally don't suffer from blocked sinuses though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Surgery really only of use if there is something they can do to improve drainage. Polyps often come back after time.
    Definitely try sinus rinse (over the counter in pharmacy) daily before using the spray every day for a reasonable while (6-12 weeks) to see how it helps first. If you get hayfever type symptoms probably need an antihistamine also over the counter also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Don't worry........ it'll be grand!

antique-neurosurgical-trephine-sdrill-ebony-1011-620x480.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

greysides wrote: »

Is that not for creating a hole in the skull to relieve pressure off the brain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Or sinusitis.

In cattle/horses.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Or sinusitis.

In cattle/horses.

Nasty

• Advertisement

If it works I'll try the f1ucker. It seems to get worse at times of high stress I notice have a big day Monday week that I need to go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

i persevered with sinus ,headaches even my cheeks swelled and broke out ,I got it finally under control by avoiding getting head colds[well wrapped up], by daily dose of cod liver oil ,eating healthy especially porridge , oranges and other fruit and trying to avoid food that makes mucus thick like chocolate and milk . A operation would be the last resort for me ,hope this is some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Sister had it done, she had to have a nurse sittin beside her bed to stop her rubbing her nose because of the itching. Seems to have done the job on her

Those sinus rinses are a good job too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Aaaaa flock it...I have had 3 antibiotics in past 9 months for sinus infections. I wash twice daily with sinus wash, gave up on dairy products etc . Above post mentions avoiding chocolate.....Chocolate......On Easter Sunday....avoiding Chocolate...I looooooove chocolate. I never put the two together.... sinus problem and my intake of chocolate. OMG......

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

If it works I'll try the f1ucker. It seems to get worse at times of high stress I notice have a big day Monday week that I need to go well.

Are you giving up your freedom? :P
    Best of luck with it anyways :)

pajero12 wrote: »

Kovu is heading up with the burdizzo

pajero12 wrote: »
    no nothing like that will post if it goes well

Reggie. wrote: »
    Kovu is heading up with the burdizzo
    i might need the burdizzo as the misses is due or 2nd baby in sept

i might need the burdizzo as the misses is due or 2nd baby in sept

Ya would want to tie a knot in it naughto :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

very bad sinus since friday, right hand side of head feels like its going to explode:mad: always get sinus after i get a cold, so try to avoid getting a cold

• Advertisement

I'll be back to the doc tomorrow as the course of drugs he gave me didn't no anything, my wife asked what give me it turns out he only give me half the strength it should be 500 mg twice a day but only got 250 mg twice a day don't no who's wrong the gp of the chemist that I got them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

My mother had the surgery about 2 years ago and it certainly gave her some relief but she still suffers from infections, just not as frequent. I really think a lot of it is diet related and she hasn't made a huge effort to address this.

I suffer myself but since I cleaned up my diet I find I don't get them near as much. I haven't taken antibiotics in nearly 3 years at this stage and i used to be a twice a year man before then.

Toplink wrote: »
    My mother had the surgery about 2 years ago and it certainly gave her some relief but she still suffers from infections, just not as frequent. I really think a lot of it is diet related and she hasn't made a huge effort to address this.

I suffer myself but since I cleaned up my diet I find I don't get them near as much. I haven't taken antibiotics in nearly 3 years at this stage and i used to be a twice a year man before then.

I have changed my diet a lot over the last few yrs have cut out gluten switched from cows milk to goats milk.
    Still eat a lot of cheese, yourgerts that kind of thing which I no doesn't help.
    Have being told to go to a herbalist so have appointment with one next week

I wish I was only twice a yr it's more like twice a month for infections for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

I have changed my diet a lot over the last few yrs have cut out gluten switched from cows milk to goats milk.
    Still eat a lot of cheese, yourgerts that kind of thing which I no doesn't help.

Thats chronic and it must be affecting the quality of your life quite a bit.

Gluten was a bit one for me and along with improved sinuses I noticed a load of other benefits.

Kick the cheese and the yogurts to the side for 6 weeks. Them Alpro Soya options might keep you satisfied if you absolutely need some yogurt. See how you feel. Its the only way you'll know.

I never attended a herbalist. My aunt is an acupuncturist and I did notice some help with them symptoms when I did a 6 week session a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Yeah I was exactly the same and saw an ENT who insisted that he would never operate on me and instead wanted me in twice a year paying him 180 quid a pop to prescribe drops and sprays that didnt really help. Needless to say I only saw him twice then suffered on for another couple of years before going to another ENT who took one look in the sinus cavity and scheduled the surgery.

I had polyps in both sides and also on the left side the actual opening was smaller than it should be. Plus both sinus cavities were filled with pus and probably had been for years.

The surgery was grand, and although the polyps can come back within 2-5 years in 75% of cases I feel Ive beaten the odds because its 3 years on and they are only coming back on one side and not too bad either.

I do have to rinse and use the spray daily and I do get the odd flare up of blocked/runny nose after alcohol or certain foods but its nothing like it was and I havent had a sinus infection or sinus headache since the surgery.

daughter is 11 and she has trouble with her sinus, did any of ye get it so young? I only started getting it in my 30's any tips for her apart from wearing a hat, doc gave her a nasal spray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

know a few including myself that have been using this for a while with varied results. might help some

http://www.boots.ie/en/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Kit_121768/

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    know a few including myself that have been using this for a while with varied results. might help some

http://www.boots.ie/en/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Kit_121768/
    thanks but we have the added problem of ear damage here, doc told me yesterday that she will have hearing problems when older from constant ear infections when she was younger, ear drums are badly damaged:mad: i might try that myself

whelan2 wrote: »
    thanks but we have the added problem of ear damage here, doc told me yesterday that she will have hearing problems when older from constant ear infections when she was younger, ear drums are badly damaged:mad: i might try that myself

jesus thats rough going. i got a lot of ear infections when i was younger to. probably all related to sinus issues as well. got my last one on holidays years ago. managed to perforate my eardrum on the return flight. didnt hurt at all which surprised myself and the doc. sure give the sinus rinse a go yourself. it aint the most pleasant experience but it aint that bad. im still sitting on the fence with it but aint giving up on it. some think its great.

• Advertisement

jesus thats rough going. i got a lot of ear infections when i was younger to. probably all related to sinus issues as well. got my last one on holidays years ago. managed to perforate my eardrum on the return flight. didnt hurt at all which surprised myself and the doc. sure give the sinus rinse a go yourself. it aint the most pleasant experience but it aint that bad. im still sitting on the fence with it but aint giving up on it. some think its great.
    was asking doc was there anything i could give her as we are flying in a few weeks and she said there was nothing:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

daughter is 11 and she has trouble with her sinus, did any of ye get it so young? I only started getting it in my 30's any tips for her apart from wearing a hat, doc gave her a nasal spray

Started having trouble when I was 13 had to get the operation at 21, anti-histimine tablets when pollen count is high helped us alot, used to have to go on difene tablets when I got really bad bouts to ease the inflammation around sinus

thanks doc said dozol/teedex for her as anti-histamine

was asking doc was there anything i could give her as we are flying in a few weeks and she said there was nothing:mad:

yea be very careful with flying. as you can see from my own story, this can cause some serious damage and some serious pain to, even though i didnt experience the pain. im not aware of any serious life long damage though from flying with an ear infection though but wouldnt advise it. too risky. it took a couple of months for the hole in my eardrum to heal. try the sinus rinse yourself and see if its suitable for your daughter. cant see how it could be bad for her but try it yourself first

I take 2 solphasinus when I fly and it keeps everything open and prevents the ear trouble.

Whelan you should get a new doc, there's loads can help with flying even just over the counter otravine helps. Or sudafed etc..

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Started having trouble when I was 13 had to get the operation at 21, anti-histimine tablets when pollen count is high helped us alot, used to have to go on difene tablets when I got really bad bouts to ease the inflammation around sinus
    thanks doc said dozol/teedex for her as anti-histamine

have found antihistamines very helpfully myself. personal favorite is piriton

• Advertisement

doc put her on antibiotic too to try and clear any fluid thats lying there in the inner ear, re inserting grommets are not an option any more , she has had them in twice before, sinus just complicates it

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I take 2 solphasinus when I fly and it keeps everything open and prevents the ear trouble.

Whelan you should get a new doc, there's loads can help with flying even just over the counter otravine helps. Or sudafed etc..
    drops just go into the outer ear , no effect on the inner ear

drops just go into the outer ear , no effect on the inner ear

None of what I recommended is drops, solphasinus are paracetamol and pseudophredine, they open the sinuses (decongestant) and help with pain. Helps with the ears flying, I've stopped bursting my eardrum since I started taking them to fly.

Otravine is a nasal decongestant spray, that also opens the sinuses.

And sudafed is a decongestant also, it's a tablet.

The decongestants help with the ear problems too, the whole ear nose and throat is connected.

Another help with flying is the special ear plugs that Boots do, they prevent the pressure change causing problems, can't recall the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had the surgery ( septoplasty i think ) in my right nasal for chronic sinuses ive had since childhood plus a few broken noses and whacks from branches etc.
    it helps but its not a cure but the sugery nurse told me to do a ' nasal douche)
    Bascially baking soda in water and syrnged into sinus . Easy done and will clear them great though a very runny nose for a few hours. Reconnmend it though

cjmc wrote: »
    I had the surgery ( septoplasty i think ) in my right nasal for chronic sinuses ive had since childhood plus a few broken noses and whacks from branches etc.
    it helps but its not a cure but the sugery nurse told me to do a ' nasal douche)
    Bascially baking soda in water and syrnged into sinus . Easy done and will clear them great though a very runny nose for a few hours. Reconnmend it though

sounds very similar to the sinus rinse thingy i linked earlier. sounds like a cheaper option though.

• Advertisement

sounds very similar to the sinus rinse thingy i linked earlier. sounds like a cheaper option though.

Probably much the same. Trial and error as to how strong to make the solution.
    I do one good teaspoon to a 3/4 cup of water. If i dont do it for 4/5/6 days i really find the pressure builds up
    Hold your head upside down in the sink and squirt side ways, not up and you'll be able to blow your nose!! But im not a doctor ( disclaimer) :)

Had it all my self whelan . Only advice is if and when she gets a runny nose make use of it and clear that nasal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Great idea to cut out milk/flour, soya milk is even better than goats milk.
    As you get older it's worth reducing cows milk if you're prone to congestion

rangler1 wrote: »
    Great idea to cut out milk/flour, soya milk is even better than goats milk.
    As you get older it's worth reducing cows milk if you're prone to congestion

Ive heard going vegan resolves it for the most part but I havent managed to try that out, dont think I could be a vegan.

avamys is the nasal spray doc gave to child

avamys is the nasal spray doc gave to child

Ive had that, its a steroid. I had to come off it actually as it was giving me heart palpitations.

It should help.

Ive had that, its a steroid. I had to come off it actually as it was giving me heart palpitations.

It should help.
    :eek: doc said it could cause nose bleeds

:eek: doc said it could cause nose bleeds

Yeah, they can dry out the sinuses a bit - the best thing (in my experience) is to use the nasal rinse every couple of days in addition to the steroid spray. Tends to keep things in better condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Ive heard going vegan resolves it for the most part but I havent managed to try that out, dont think I could be a vegan.

Even to reduce milk/flour here for a few days makes a difference, particularily with a stubborn asthma,..... worth trying before resorting to steroids anyway.

rangler1 wrote: »
    Even to reduce milk/flour here for a few days makes a difference, particularily with a stubborn asthma,..... worth trying before resorting to steroids anyway.

What makes you say that? Both my GP and ENT say that the nasal steroid sprays are fine to take long term, only the same as taking Ventolin?

• Advertisement
Advertisement