Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinus surgery

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

You can buy the sachets for the bottle. Gone mine on Amazon a while back. Much cheaper than getting them here.

Oh I know that, yeah, just looking for the most cost effective alternative. Amazon is about €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Discodog wrote: »
    No. I just use any sea salt & normal baking powder. 3 of salt to 1 of baking powder.

I usually make up a small pill bottle full.

Will give that a go, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Been using the neilmed rinse last couple of years every day, does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Been using the neilmed rinse last couple of years every day, does the job.

getting some Neilmed to try starting tomorrow

how many times a day do you rinse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

have you tried using steam or an humidifier before committing to the surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

problem with surgery is that it does not last for alot of people, my mate had it done 5 years ago and i myself had it done 3, in those years it was good but im back to using the sprays now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

For me, the rinse doesn't last for long, nor does steaming. Sprays and stuff do nothing. Exputex is my saviour and the reason I can sleep some nights but I go through way too much of it.

I fell on my nose when I was a toddler from the back of a sofa and though it was cartilage and so didn't break, I really believe that's what caused my chronic sinus issues. I've a bumpy nose from it anyway. I'm strongly considering getting that operation done. Last month I got that flu and it actually felt like someone was hitting me with a crowbar. Everything hurt from my shoulders up; all over my head, my teeth, my eyes, my neck (though that was likely pain tension). I've got antibiotics for it a few days ago because it still hasn't fully cleared.

Do you think it's worth getting? I've always heard it doesn't last very long so I don't want to waste my time recovering from it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Had the surgery 10 years ago this summer after years wasted blocked and sneezing and messing with useless sprays and their increasingly temporary relief. Still fairly comfortable though noticeably more prone to the odd minor sneezing fit than I was. Maybe not for everyone but it was certainly a life changer for me anyway.

waffleman wrote:
    how many times a day do you rinse?

Apologies, just seeing your message now, been doing the rinsing a couple of years, at least once a day. When my sinus issues become really bad, I increase rinses to maybe 5/6 times a day until it settles, and sometimes I must also take an antihistamine as well, when things become very bad. Rinsing only truly gives mild relief, but I have been getting far less related issues such as a sore throat etc since I started rinsing. I know a chap that regularly rinses with sea water, swears by it, I'd say it's rotten, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

For me, the rinse doesn't last for long, nor does steaming. Sprays and stuff do nothing. Exputex is my saviour and the reason I can sleep some nights but I go through way too much of it.

I fell on my nose when I was a toddler from the back of a sofa and though it was cartilage and so didn't break, I really believe that's what caused my chronic sinus issues. I've a bumpy nose from it anyway. I'm strongly considering getting that operation done. Last month I got that flu and it actually felt like someone was hitting me with a crowbar. Everything hurt from my shoulders up; all over my head, my teeth, my eyes, my neck (though that was likely pain tension). I've got antibiotics for it a few days ago because it still hasn't fully cleared.

Do you think it's worth getting? I've always heard it doesn't last very long so I don't want to waste my time recovering from it either.

sprays are good in short term but not longterm, you are forever changing them too as you keep using to them you need to take them more often to get the same relief if any as before.
    i have changing my diet which has helped a little too

• Advertisement

Apologies, just seeing your message now, been doing the rinsing a couple of years, at least once a day. When my sinus issues become really bad, I increase rinses to maybe 5/6 times a day until it settles, and sometimes I must also take an antihistamine as well, when things become very bad. Rinsing only truly gives mild relief, but I have been getting far less related issues such as a sore throat etc since I started rinsing. I know a chap that regularly rinses with sea water, swears by it, I'd say it's rotten, but....

Ive done once a day yesterday and today

Will start twice a day tomorrow and give it a few weeks

I live beside the sea so I might give try sea water if I dont notice any change - for now I'm using water from a reverse osmosis filter slightly warmed in a kettle and neilmed sachets

My issue is dust mite droppings - always has been and every doctor says the same thing - you can reduce them but its impossible to eliminate dust mites from the bedroom. Unless I get a hammock and sleep outside I'm stuck with this allergy.

waffleman wrote: »
    Ive done once a day yesterday and today

Will start twice a day tomorrow and give it a few weeks

I live beside the sea so I might give try sea water if I dont notice any change - for now I'm using water from a reverse osmosis filter slightly warmed in a kettle and neilmed sachets

My issue is dust mite droppings - always has been and every doctor says the same thing - you can reduce them but its impossible to eliminate dust mites from the bedroom. Unless I get a hammock and sleep outside I'm stuck with this allergy.

make sure you do give it a few weeks, it took me a good while before i actually noticed a difference, again, relief is only really mild.

im a little wary of using sea water, not only will it probably taste terrible but i suspect it would also be fairly intense, and might actually cause more irritation. the neilmed solution as you probably know now is fairly mild, stick with it and see what happens.

i assume you ve tried antihistamines? they might give relief as well but can cause drowsiness.

make sure you do give it a few weeks, it took me a good while before i actually noticed a difference, again, relief is only really mild.

im a little wary of using sea water, not only will it probably taste terrible but i suspect it would also be fairly intense, and might actually cause more irritation. the neilmed solution as you probably know now is fairly mild, stick with it and see what happens.

i assume you ve tried antihistamines? they might give relief as well but can cause drowsiness.

I have a prescription for antihistamines, steroids, nasal spray and singulair (inhalers). If the rinse doesnt help i will work through the meds to see if anything helps.

I just happened to check this thread when I got out of the doctors to see if I could avoid these meds. Hopefully the rinse will relieve it. I will make a stronger solution of salt and baking soda as detailed earlier in this thread to try before tryin the medication.

Im in my mid 30s now and symptoms are slowly getting worse as i get older so need it sorted. It really is a torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Had sinus drained in ENT Consultant surgery 30 years ago
    Never looked back, despite all the advice I was given that it was a waste of time and that the sinuses would fill up again in no time
    An excellent ENT surgeon, retired now, he drained the sinuses under local anesthetic, I had to wear a tube and wash it out for a few days, will be forever grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I have a prescription for antihistamines, steroids, nasal spray and singulair (inhalers). If the rinse doesnt help i will work through the meds to see if anything helps.

I just happened to check this thread when I got out of the doctors to see if I could avoid these meds. Hopefully the rinse will relieve it. I will make a stronger solution of salt and baking soda as detailed earlier in this thread to try before tryin the medication.

Im in my mid 30s now and symptoms are slowly getting worse as i get older so need it sorted. It really is a torture.

Had the surgery 7 years ago and have had a bad case of it the past 6 months with one side completely blocked, a relation told us to try aloe Vera juice and garlic tablets everyday and two weeks in their really starting to clear up my sinuses was on all the sprays/anti-inflammatory tablets and they where useless, might be worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have found Nurofen Cold & Flue to be excellent. They used to do Nurofen Sinus but changed it to Cold & Flu. If the pain is really bad I take 3 & the pain & blockage completely goes.

I'm not enjoying sinus rinsin at all (very uncomfortable for me) and the alternative of bein on 4 or 5 meds per day isnt appealing either. Even if I find the right concoction of meds or home remedies I will need to find something stronger in a few years when symptoms get worse. This allergy is going nowhere.

I'm convinced indoor air is the problem. The best days are when I get up early, go for a run and cough out as much phlegm as I can while gettin clean air into my body early in the day. Then by late afternoon I feel somewhere near healthy. Symptoms return the next morning.

I've found myself thinkin of all kinds of mad ideas. E.g. some kind of setup where my head gets clean air only from outdoors. Or a CPAP machine where the intake to the breathing mask is outside. It sounds mad but I will try anything at this stage. If anyone has any ideas on how to achieve this I'm all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I'm not enjoying sinus rinsin at all (very uncomfortable for me) and the alternative of bein on 4 or 5 meds per day isnt appealing either. Even if I find the right concoction of meds or home remedies I will need to find something stronger in a few years when symptoms get worse. This allergy is going nowhere.

I'm convinced indoor air is the problem. The best days are when I get up early, go for a run and cough out as much phlegm as I can while gettin clean air into my body early in the day. Then by late afternoon I feel somewhere near healthy. Symptoms return the next morning.

I've found myself thinkin of all kinds of mad ideas. E.g. some kind of setup where my head gets clean air only from outdoors. Or a CPAP machine where the intake to the breathing mask is outside. It sounds mad but I will try anything at this stage. If anyone has any ideas on how to achieve this I'm all ears.

What's making the rinsing uncomfortable ? I actually find it ok.

Maybe make an oxygen tent with a pump drawing in outside air or a hepa filter filtering inside air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

There are a few things I would look at:

1. Make sure you've no sources of mould where you spend a lot of time e.g. bedroom. That can be under carpets, under floors, leaky pipes, old mattresses that aren't airing properly, condensation.

2. Get a good vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter (not that expensive these days) and use it regularly to keep dust minimised.

3. Get non allergenic bed linen (absolutely not feathers).

4. Milk is a well known producer of phlegm. It's something most people presenting radio, singing, acting etc know about as it will literally change the tone of your voice. For some reason, liquid milk seems to cause a problem for some people more so than cheeses. So you often can still eat cheese, but just no milk on your cornflakes.

5. Reduce sugar and processed foods - you could be feeding bacteria / fungi with high sugar diet.

6. Make sure you've good oral hygiene.

7. If you smoke, stop! If you are around people who are smoking - either avoid them or tell them to smoke somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Skedaddle wrote: »
    There are a few things I would look at:

1. Make sure you've no sources of mould where you spend a lot of time e.g. bedroom. That can be under carpets, under floors, leaky pipes, old mattresses that aren't airing properly, condensation.

2. Get a good vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter (not that expensive these days) and use it regularly to keep dust minimised.

3. Get non allergenic bed linen (absolutely not feathers).

4. Milk is a well known producer of phlegm. It's something most people presenting radio, singing, acting etc know about as it will literally change the tone of your voice. For some reason, liquid milk seems to cause a problem for some people more so than cheeses. So you often can still eat cheese, but just no milk on your cornflakes.

5. Reduce sugar and processed foods - you could be feeding bacteria / fungi with high sugar diet.

6. Make sure you've good oral hygiene.

7. If you smoke, stop! If you are around people who are smoking - either avoid them or tell them to smoke somewhere else.

Thanks for those - I have tried all of this and more. Threw out all my carpets last year and installed wooden flooring. I only have sugar, meat and dairy twice a week - I'm strict with this. Installed a reverse osmosis water filter that replaces lost minerals. I have HEPA filters in my vacuum cleaner. Baking soda toothpaste and mouth wash - even tried oil pulling for a while. I boil wash and tumble dry (highest setting) all sheets and alergy resistant covers for my bed (duvet and pillows) weekly. My house is less than 10 years old - no mould / damp. I have nothing in my room that can store dust.

I feel like somehow getting clean air at night is my only option.

Discodog wrote: »
    What's making the rinsing uncomfortable ? I actually find it ok.

Maybe make an oxygen tent with a pump drawing in outside air or a hepa filter filtering inside air.

just need to apply a lot of pressure - and feels painful.

oxegen tent is an interesting idea - will look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I also suffer with sinus but find that taking 2 table spoons of cod liver oil before i go to bed reduce the congestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

There's a Philips air filter thats highly recommend but it's just shy of €500!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Apart from not being a treatment for sinus disease, CPAP can cause sinusitis over time. So definitely scrub that off your plans.

Do you know what you are allergic to?

Don't really understand what you mean by clean air. Main difference between air inside/outside will be humidity and temperature. More dust inside, more pollens outside of course

Zagato wrote: »
    Apart from not being a treatment for sinus disease, CPAP can cause sinusitis over time. So definitely scrub that off your plans.

Do you know what you are allergic to?

Don't really understand what you mean by clean air. Main difference between air inside/outside will be humidity and temperature. More dust inside, more pollens outside of course

Good to know about CPAP thanks. Im allergic to dust mite droppings - no problems with pollen.

What I mean by clean air is dust mite free. Many doctors have told me this is impossible. They say you can reduce mites but not eliminate them from the bedroom.

I have slept outside before - e.g. beach/festival camping in a new tent and my symptoms have cleared up straight away - but obviously sleeping outside is not practical long term.

• Advertisement

Just an update and in case anyone thinks I'm hijacking this thread about dust mite I want to be clear I had sinus surgery 15 years ago - the reason I'm posting is because just clearing out your sinuses may not be enough to solve the root problem. Also if you are thinking about sinus surgery this might be worth a shot first.

For the last 3 nights I have slept on a leather sofa bed (leather is impermeable to dustmites and all allergens) in my sitting room with the window left slightly open. My sitting room has a wooden floor and is hoovered out regularly with a HEPA filtered vacuum. I have a stove in the room that is lit every day. I let it die down at night about 10pm but I'm pretty sure there is enough heat in it at night to slowly change the air in the room. Since the window is the only air intake (door is shut) the air coming in is dustmite free. The couch is the other side of the room to the window to avoid any draughts. No pillows and no duvets. Im wearing tracksuit bottoms, a thermal vest and a thick robe which I will try and wash on a high temperature weekly to kill mites and hope it doesnt shrink. :)

Everything has improved. Sinuses are clear. My skin is clearing (I have a few small patches of dry skin). Eye Bags reduced. Less mucus. Feeling fully awake quicker in the mornings. Less dehydration and mood is definitely better. My wife even asked me how come I'm looking better and in better form just this morning. It's early days but I'm pretty sure meds and "clearing my airways" wasnt enough. I need dust mite free air somehow and at least this is a step in the right direction.

Latest update. My leather sofa experiment defintely helped. However it wasnt practical long term - especially since im married.

I have taken things 1 step further and covered my pillows and matress in polythene sheeting. Only using a duvet cover at the moment due to the hot weather.

This sheeting is completely dustmite resistant. The results have been life changing for me. No mucus, dry skin or dehydration and twice the energy i had before. Even more effective than the leather. My pillows and mattress could be full of dustmite, sweat, dead skin and god knows else that was causing my symptoms.

I chose polythene as its used for building repairs and ive read that other materials can secrete harmful chemicals e.g. pvc and vinyl

Its available on screwfix for 12 euro per 12 square metres.

edit: it doesnt show up if you search for polythene on the website - here is a link to it https://www.ie.screwfix.com/heavy-duty-repair-sheet-3m-x-4m.html

Advertisement