Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

children away from their parents in the pub

• 05-04-2015 8:02pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm out having dinner at the moment in a local hotel.

Ten minutes ago a woman came down with two kids under four, plonked them in the seat beside me and left them and went off. The kids started shouting down the room at her and she come s back with popcorn and a tablet of some sorts and plugs it in, then tells the kids she'll be down with grandad the other side of the bar.

When I asked her if she was going to leave the kids on their own she said yes as their toy needed to be charged. Eventually she decided that she would sit with them while the toy charges

Is this normal or is this woman just nuts?

Comments

She's nuts. And a bad mother. And an even worse fellow customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Is it normal for people to be on boards on their phone while eating a dinner at a hotel?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sumsar wrote: »
    Is it normal for people to be on boards on their phone while eating a dinner at a hotel?

I'm finished dinner and having a drink :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Thought the consensus from the last children in pubs was just to blow smoke in their face. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Offer the kids some sweets. Mother will swiftly move children.

They'll **** off quicker if you wear a dodgy overcoat as you do it, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Irresponsible doesnt even begin to cover this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

A total nut job. It's the children you have to feel sorry for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sounds like a nutter but still at least she offers a tailor made opening for a 60 page thread about bad parenting and how people don't want children.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When I asked her if she was going to leave them on their own she was astounded that I even mentioned it she seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable to leave two small kids out of sight yelling at the top of their voices when they wanted attention

She's since given out to all and sundry about my objecting to her leaving them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

"If the licence holder is found guilty of allowing unsupervised children in his or her premises, a fine can be imposed on summary conviction in a District Court."

Da law ^^^

Have a quiet word with the bar manager ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

Phone the Gardai. I have no tolerance for this. I live beside some of types of mothers. They are usually ones where they are neglect in the home also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some people just couldn't give a shíte about their kids or anyone else for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My rule of thumb is to NEVER go out to eat on a Bank Holiday Weekend - during the day that is. Same applies to holidays, NEVER go on holidays when kids are off school.

I don't have kids, but those who do often think EVERYONE loves their little brats. Eh, no, I don't.

And I agree that some of those in charge of children think their kids are beautifully behaved, or on the other hand tut tut people like me and believe that kids will be kids, we have to give them sugar or some such rubbish.

But to abandon kids like that is just normal these days, as long as they are within view. Or to allow them run riot is also fine it seems. God I was seen and not heard when I were a nipper. Too much mollycoddling of kids nowadays. Honestly.

There is a certain eating establishment in Exchequer Street that does not allow kids after 6.30pm. My favourite place ever!

Glad I got all that off me chest. Aaaaagh, feel much better now.

Keep your kids away from me OK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My rule of thumb is to NEVER go out to eat on a Bank Holiday Weekend - during the day that is. Same applies to holidays, NEVER go on holidays when kids are off school.

I don't have kids, but those who do often think EVERYONE loves their little brats. Eh, no, I don't.

And I agree that some of those in charge of children think their kids are beautifully behaved, or on the other hand tut tut people like me and believe that kids will be kids, we have to give them sugar or some such rubbish.

But to abandon kids like that is just normal these days, as long as they are within view. Or to allow them run riot is also fine it seems. God I was seen and not heard when I were a nipper. Too much mollycoddling of kids nowadays. Honestly.

There is a certain eating establishment in Exchequer Street that does not allow kids after 6.30pm. My favourite place ever!

You think the children decided to go out this evening?

There's a brat there ok, but it's not a child.

Chucken wrote: »

Yup at this hour the kids should be in bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When I was a wain I got into the pub twice a year, when the turf were all home and the spuds were all gathered. For half an hour. One game of pool and one Football Special in a long glass. That was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Thought exactly the same about your comment on a different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

When I was a wain I got into the pub twice a year, when the turf were all home and the spuds were all gathered. For half an hour. One game of pool and one Football Special in a long glass. That was it.

Then back to the mines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Gary Glitter, I beleive.

He's on holidays, thankfully.

Shure we all know you walked to school barefoot with chilblains in your chilblains

Isn't it just great the way racist and sexist language is frowned on, but it's still ok to refer to children as little brats?

And the bolded paragraph just confuses me. Are they abandoned, or are they mollycoddled?

Instead of asking people to keep their kids away from you, you'd do better all round to keep yourself away from kids.

I'm not a parent, and the woman in the OP is completely in the wrong to leave her kids unsupervised in a hotel bar. No one should let their kids run riot around other people. But here's the thing, we're all members of a society and that includes kids. The world shouldn't revolve around just kids, but it doesn't revolve around just adults either.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get in a twist over the presence of kids, as though we all spring from the uterus as adults.

Chucken wrote: »

Agree, it's the parent/carer who is at fault.

But my post was just saying do not go on Bank Holidays or School Holidays.

Far better to make your own, or buy and M+S special deal for two, or order in, and relax.

That's what I do. No matter where you go on BHs kids are running amok. Disgraceful parenting. But kids normally tell their parents what to do and what they want now!

Kid's behaviour reflects the parent/carer attitude towards them.

Seems to me that kids can do what they like now. Well SOME of them, ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Stheno wrote: »
    Yup at this hour the kids should be in bed

Says who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Isn;t that but of a contradiction?

Mollycoddled and ignored/allowed to run riot are two different things.

As to the "seen and not heard" bit - that doesn't exist and never did. Unless the child in question never leaves the house.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Candie wrote: »
    Isn't it just great the way racist and sexist language is frowned on, but it's still ok to refer to children as little brats?

And the bolded paragraph just confuses me. Are they abandoned, or are they mollycoddled?

Instead of asking people to keep their kids away from you, you'd do better all round to keep yourself away from kids.

I'm not a parent, and the woman in the OP is completely in the wrong to leave her kids unsupervised in a hotel bar. No one should let their kids run riot around other people. But here's the thing, we're all members of a society and that includes kids. The world shouldn't revolve around just kids, but it doesn't revolve around just adults either.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get in a twist over the presence of kids, as though we all spring from the uterus as adults.

But we were supervised at all times, and were never let out of our parents' sight.

Anyway, if you had bothered to read my post you will see that I do distance myself from children in an eating out setting. It ain't no fun anymore being surrounded by spoilt brats who think they own the place, and are not disciplined by their parents.

I generally don't mind children around me but not unsupervised with their parents away drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Does this make sense?

Kids are mollycolled these days but also allowed to run riot by themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Shure we all know you walked to school barefoot with chilblains in your chilblains
    Went on the bus actually

Isn;t that but of a contradiction?

Mollycoddled and ignored/allowed to run riot are two different things.

As to the "seen and not heard" bit - that doesn't exist and never did. Unless the child in question never leaves the house.

Mollycoddled to me means they are "precious" little things and can do no wrong, whilst everyone around them wants to throttle them, but the parents cannot or will not see that in their little darlings. It's all part of their education and exposure to the world you see.

Ignored is what is described in the OP. Equally bad.

But we were supervised at all times, and were never let out of our parents' sight.

Anyway, if you had bothered to read my post you will see that I do distance myself from children in an eating out setting. It ain't no fun anymore being surrounded by spoilt brats who think they own the place, and are not disciplined by their parents.

I read your post, it's like many others I read on here. Grown adults so discombobulated by the presence of kids that they think it's acceptable to refer to them all in derogatory language, complaining that parents think the world revolves around their kids, while simultaneously complaining that it doesn't revolve around them.

Then back to the mines.

It's the chimney sweep for him!

Went on the bus actually

JaysIs we didn't have them when I walked to school

I generally don't mind children around me but not unsupervised with their parents away drinking

I know Stheno, it's the one's who can only refer to kids as brats I'm talking about. There's no middle ground with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I take it your female stheno? Because sadly in this world a woman wouldn't leave her children alone beside a man in case he stole them or worse.

Went on the bus actually

That brings back some memories :-)

I take it your female stheno? Because sadly in this world a woman wouldn't leave her children alone beside a man in case he stole them or worse.

Twas beside me and my male partner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Are you still there?

Have another drink, gwan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OP you're an intelligent adult, and you had the common sense to call that woman out on abandoning her children while she went off to the other end of the bar.

What I can't get my head around is why, instead of having a word with management, or calling the Gardai and having the woman and her children removed from the premises, you thought it better to start a thread in AH about it?

I'm not up on any moral high horse here, but may I ask do you actually give a damn about those children's welfare, or were you only thinking of yourself in starting what you knew would be a contentious thread about it?

You're hardly in any position to be judging anyone when you had the opportunity to do something about it, and you start a thread more concerned about whether it's normal or not. You know well it's not normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Children should not be in places that serve alcohol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

OP you're an intelligent adult, and you had the common sense to call that woman out on abandoning her children while she went off to the other end of the bar.

What I can't get my head around is why, instead of having a word with management, or calling the Gardai and having the woman and her children removed from the premises, you thought it better to start a thread in AH about it?

I'm not up on any moral high horse here, but may I ask do you actually give a damn about those children's welfare, or were you only thinking of yourself in starting what you knew would be a contentious thread about it?

You're hardly in any position to be judging anyone when you had the opportunity to do something about it, and you start a thread more concerned about whether it's normal or not. You know well it's not normal.
    WTF?

What? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My childhood was the exact opposite. We went to the pub every Sunday evening, met up with our cousins and spent most of the evening across the road in the gaa pitch by ourselves. Would never happen now in case we were all abducted. Maybe it was a country thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's weird how some people give out about people not looking after their kids, while others wax lyrical about their idyllic childhoods where they were alone outside playing conkers until it got dark. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Children have no business being in public houses. These are places where men use course language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Worse still went back to my car recently and car next to me had 3 under 6's in the back strapped in. Some ****in people. Not a parent in sight.

I read your post, it's like many others I read on here. Grown adults so discombobulated by the presence of kids that they think it's acceptable to refer to them all in derogatory language, complaining that parents think the world revolves around their kids, while simultaneously complaining that it doesn't revolve around them.

The world revolves around kids to those that have them.

My world revolves around me being happy as best I can, and if that means being surrounded by adults only, So be it.

We can only make ourselves happy, not everyone else too!

Kids in restaurants and pubs are generally not conducive to a good day out for adults who do not have kids.

That is why those establishments that ban kids after 6 oc or so are so full then.... with adults!

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Children should not be in places that serve alcohol..

Absolutely.... the only reason kids are there in the first place is to satisfy the parents' need to drink!

Actually before I started the thread I spoke to the woman who was looking after the children, asked if she was their parent, and told her I was not happy that she was leaving them unsupervised as I was uncomfortable with it and they were yelling for their parents constantly

She then said she would stay with them, and did while sorting out an issue with a lack of cots in the room and finally left about eight thirty

Had she just left them I'd have escalated to the bar manager

I actually started the thread to check I wasn't bonkers and that what she was planning was weitd

• Advertisement
Advertisement