Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

children away from their parents in the pub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It's weird how some people give out about people not looking after their kids, while others wax lyrical about their idyllic childhoods where they were alone outside playing conkers until it got dark. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

Absolutely no comparison between the two. Children being outside playing sports is a very different thing than having them sitting inside in a pub, bored rotten, as their alcoholic parents hoover back cider, devour a carvery lunch, and tell stupid jokes that only they and their equally thick and ignorant friends find funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

vicwatson wrote: »
    Worse still went back to my car recently and car next to me had 3 under 6's in the back strapped in. Some ****in people. Not a parent in sight.

LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

When I was a wain I got into the pub twice a year, when the turf were all home and the spuds were all gathered. For half an hour. One game of pool and one Football Special in a long glass. That was it.

Then back to the mines.

:D nearly choked when I read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Stheno wrote: »
    Actually before I started the thread I spoke to the woman who was looking after the children, asked if she was their parent, and told her I was not happy that she was leaving them unsupervised as I was uncomfortable with it and they were yelling for their parents constantly

She then said she would stay with them, and did while sorting out an issue with a lack of cots in the room and finally left about eight thirty

Had she just left them I'd have escalated to the bar manager

I actually started the thread to check I wasn't bonkers and that what she was planning was weitd

Ahh, context. Cheers OP, because I was initially thinking this -

Tilly wrote: »
    WTF?

when I read your opening post.

Yeah, what she was planning was weird alright, but fortunately it's not all that common. Happened to me a couple of times that parents plonked their children in front of me as if there had been an unspoken understanding between us that I would watch them while the parent wandered off doing something else (in the playground of all places once when I was there with my own child, another time in a hospital, another time a shopping centre, children left literally standing on their own with that lost look on their face).

I don't mind if someone asks, but it's the automatic assumption that has me think WTF??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would not bring them into my local on the weekends as its too busy so we get a babysitter but midweek afternoons is fine they can sit down at another table doing their homework in peace not annoying anybody

I was in a hotel one Christmas Eve. I wasn't staying at home because I was a bit sad that Santa wouldn't be visiting that year. My whole family were there having a few sociables in the hotel lobby as the bar was jammed. Out walks this little blond curly haired beauty, rubbing her eyes and looking for her mommy and daddy. She had woken in the night alone (with her sister) in her hotel room. I minded her and one of my family went into the bar and asked everyone did they have a 3 yr old blonde child, they all said no. The hotel manager was called, the child was hysterical and sitting cuddling me on my lap sobbing her heart out. The manager went through the lists of each room to see who had a child. Meanwhile the poor little thing vomited all over me because she was so distressed.

A while later, this fat bastard walks by and the little kid goes "daddy". That absolute prick had left his two small children in a hotel bedroom on Christmas Eve while he sat in the bar with their mother getting drunk.

I'll never forget it, and he never once apologised or even acted like he cared.

Moral of the story; some parents are Cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Offer the kids some sweets. Mother will swiftly move children.

They'll **** off quicker if you wear a dodgy overcoat as you do it, too.
    And ask them, in a loud voice, if they would like to go up to your room to see your puppies. Mummy will soon move her little angels (not brats; God forbid we call them brats) away. And you'll be able to spend the night in a nice warm cell down the local barracks!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

It's weird how some people give out about people not looking after their kids, while others wax lyrical about their idyllic childhoods where they were alone outside playing conkers until it got dark. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

Children running riot unsupervised in a pub or hotel, disturbing the peace and intruding on other people. Can't really be compared to some kids playing conkers, sitting on a wall or away off by themselves bothering nobody. The former is an inconsiderate parent with kunt kids, the latter is kids just doing kids stuff the way they once did years ago.

blueser wrote: »
    And ask them, in a loud voice, if they would like to go up to your room to see your puppies. Mummy will soon move her little angels (not brats; God forbid we call them brats) away. And you'll be able to spend the night in a nice warm cell down the local barracks!

;)

You should post in the passive-aggressive thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Candie wrote: »
    You should post in the passive-aggressive thread.
    That's bit heavy duty for me. Not to mention above my pay grade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Children should not be in places that serve alcohol..

well it's kind of hard to avoid those places of you want your child to experience normal social situations. Restaurants serve alcohol, my local arcade with plenty of kids activities does too.. Christmas markets, cinemas, food festivals, funfairs are all family friendly places which also serve alcohol.

I've stayed in a hotel and ate dinner and had a drink in the bar when my daughter has been with me.. I didn't abandon her or let her run riot and I think I'm representative of the vast majority of parents. This woman was wrong to leave her kids unattended but it's a fairly rare occurrence.

I actually can't remember a time when a child has ever disrupted a meal or social occasion. Reading on here you'd think every restaurant and pub is overrun with screaming children, parents changing nappies on tables and women whipping out their boobs to breastfeed. Not in my experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

all to common, in the local today having dinner

"go on on out there and play" its a bloody car park

another chap gives his 2 kids (about 6-9 id say) a tenner " i dont want to see you back here til the match is over"

Classy parents

ceadaoin. wrote: »

I actually can't remember a time when a child has ever disrupted a meal or social occasion. Reading on here you'd think every restaurant and pub is overrun with screaming children, parents changing nappies on tables and women whipping out their boobs to breastfeed. Not in my experience.

Same here, 28 years of hotels, bars, restaurants, trains, planes, automobiles, stores, malls, supermarkets and airports, and not once have I been driven to distraction by crying babies or badly behaved kids, or tantrum throwing toddlers or breastfeeding behemoths with their lactating mammaries plonked out in full view.

Its almost like it's exaggerated, isn't it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In the past month along with today I can think of three occasions where poorly supervised children disrupted our enjoyment of a meal out

Same here, 28 years of hotels, bars, restaurants, trains, planes, automobiles, stores, malls, supermarkets and airports, and not once have I been driven to distraction by crying babies or badly behaved kids, or tantrum throwing toddlers or breastfeeding behemoths with their lactating mammaries plonked out in full view.

Its almost like it's exaggerated, isn't it?

You own those kids, therefore you are blind to their activities. Or you are lying,or you don't have kids at all!

I suspect the latter.

There is not a space in Ireland today that does not have badly behaved kids, a minority I will accept will always be there. That is life, so I avoid it.

But unfortunately, it is the minority that upsets greatly, the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I didn't abandon her or let her run riot and I think I'm representative of the vast majority of parents.

Fair play to you, that's great but you are not representative of the vast majority of parents.
    I actually can't remember a time when a child has ever disrupted a meal or social occasion.

You're either extremely lucky or lying.

You own those kids, therefore you are blind to their activities. Or you are lying,or you don't have kids at all!

I suspect the latter.

There is not a space in Ireland today that does not have badly behaved kids, a minority I will accept will always be there. That is life, so I avoid it.

But unfortunately, it is the minority that upsets greatly, the majority.

What? I never said I have kids, in fact I said I didn't. And why would I lie about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

sumsar wrote: »
    Is it normal for people to be on boards on their phone while eating a dinner at a hotel?

Was thinking the same thing. They sure know how to enjoy life.

What? I never said I have kids, in fact I said I didn't. And why would I lie about it?

Read my post again, I set out several options.

But you chose to have a hissy fit first!

Read my post again, I set out several options.

But you chose to have a hissy fit first!

No, I'm not the one with the hissy fits. Or the one accusing people of lying if they don't agree with me.

• Advertisement

No, I'm not the one with the hissy fits. Or the one accusing people of lying if they don't agree with me.

Relax, I'm only responding.

Life is good ain't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Absolutely.... the only reason kids are there in the first place is to satisfy the parents' need to drink!
    ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Children should not be in places that serve alcohol..

Ah here, that rules out most restaurants! Airplanes and some trains too.
    Children are part of the world, to think that some people want to never hear a child is ridiculous. And anyone who thinks they were "seen and not heard" is lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

A packet of tayto and a bottle of coke.

The unforgettable flavour of child neglect in the pub.

HugsiePie wrote: »

Well in my day, it was a packet of Perri crisps and bottle of orange.

But we were supervised and never put a foot wrong in the parent's comany either. They were tough times... but great to us.

Fair play to you, that's great but you are not representative of the vast majority of parents.

You're either extremely lucky or lying.

I'm not lying. I don't consider merely hearing a baby crying or a child speaking to be that big a deal. Of course, if you are someone that has a problem with kids being in certain places you are bound to be over sensitive. Children are a part of society, deal with it. I have never had a meal ruined by kids running around a restaurant that I can remember. Likewise with pubs. So I can only conclude that most parents don't let their kids run riot.

I can remember some occasions where rowdy or rude adults have bothered me though. I don't write off all of society because of it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ah here, that rules out most restaurants! Airplanes and some trains too.
    Children are part of the world, to think that some people want to never hear a child is ridiculous. And anyone who thinks they were "seen and not heard" is lying.

Ever had a kid kicking into the back of your seat on a plane?

When you look back at the parents, they generally blank you.

Awful. And the kids just keep doing it, cos the parents don't discipline them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

HugsiePie wrote: »

Coke? Well la-di-da. Fancy flash bastard.
    We got one of those glass bottles of TK. Always red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Cienciano wrote: »
    Coke? Well la-di-da. Fancy flash bastard.
    We got one of those glass bottles of TK. Always red

Celtic tiger.....they were mighty times.

Wow, I literally must be the luckiest person on the planet because this has never happened to me either!

I do remember one time being on a short flight when my daughter was about 2. She wasn't kicking the seat in front because her feet didn't even reach. However every time she so much as uttered a syllable at normal volume, the woman in front shot me a dirty look. Some people just have no time for children being in their general vicinity and I suspect that these are the people that continuously have these unfortunate disruptions.

I'm not lying. I don't consider merely hearing a baby crying or a child speaking to be that big a deal. Of course, if you are someone that has a problem with kids being in certain places you are bound to be over sensitive. Children are a part of society, deal with it. I have never had a meal ruined by kids running around a restaurant that I can remember. Likewise with pubs. So I can only conclude that most parents don't let their kids run riot.

I can remember some occasions where rowdy or rude adults have bothered me though. I don't write off all of society because of it.

Sure, I believe you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'd believe ceadaoin too in fairness. I mean, there are definitely some adults that should never be let out in public for the way they react to children being children.

In saying that though, there's not much has ever annoyed me when I'm eating, I'm pretty good at tuning out stuff, didn't even miss a beat when some homeless guy came into burger king one afternoon, stood in the middle of the floor, then proceeded to urinate through his pants. I thought he was never going to stop. Now if he'd opened his trousers to piss, might have been a different story alright!

I guess it's just what you're used to will determine how you react in any given situation, and if you're not used to children behaving like children, then naturally you're going to find their behaviour irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm out having dinner at the moment in a local hotel.

Ten minutes ago a woman came down with two kids under four, plonked them in the seat beside me and left them and went off. The kids started shouting down the room at her and she come s back with popcorn and a tablet of some sorts and plugs it in, then tells the kids she'll be down with grandad the other side of the bar.

When I asked her if she was going to leave the kids on their own she said yes as their toy needed to be charged. Eventually she decided that she would sit with them while the toy charges

Is this normal or is this woman just nuts?

Sadly this seems to be normal these days "to busy" to mind their own kids and do not think of harm of leaving them anywhere as long as they can get quiet time. In all honestly I seen far better fathers then mothers these days.

One of my old jobs had a woman I didn't know at all come in from head office and plonked her 7/8yr old child at my desk and said mind her and walked out as fast as she could.....I have no idea about kids really except how to mind them if they are sick and very little beyond that 0.o

I spent my day getting her to colour to keep her busy but really like I could have been anyone. She came back around 4hrs later from having lunch with her friends o.0 Every time the child seen me since then she clung to me for attention which to be honest I didn't mind I felt a bit bad for her just seemed like an accessory otherwise.

Another woman I know of goes into a coffee shop to unwind and read the latest magazines and leaves her 2 boys (6, 10 I think) run loose in a book shop wreaking the place as she relaxes across the forecourt of the shopping centre they are in ....staff can't really do anything about it. She just dumps them there and walks off, an hour or so later she will come back and pick them up :/

Yes because everyone who disagrees with you is lying :rolleyes:

That's the only time I have encountered someone who clearly had a problem with children in general and as a result was over sensitive to even normal noise. A person without that issue is more likely to get on with whatever it is they are doing without even noticing what other people around them are doing. It's certainly more believable than the people who say every time they go out in public there are unruly children everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I always get a good laugh at these threads, you know the kids vs no kids(because apparantly you this is a thing now)

I can GUARANTEE with 100% certainty that for all of the people with no children who get mightly annoyed be them throwing a fit/crying/being loud or boisterous and say that they were never allowed to behave badly and were well mannered in public at all time are deluded.

Now I say, ask the PARENTS of the person saying this and they will have very different tale to tell. They will put you straight about the time that you embarrassed the hell out of them in the shops/church/bus....wherever.
    Because as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you were no little angel all of the time yourself no matter what you think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Irresponsible doesnt even begin to cover this.
    As a wacker fan, I am seriously disappointed in this response.

I guess it's just what you're used to will determine how you react in any given situation, and if you're not used to children behaving like children, then naturally you're going to find their behaviour irritating.

I do agree that "what you're used to will determine how you react" and for the vast majority of people, they have had to put up with a brat in public due to the inaction of a shítty parent, and your patience wears thin.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think. I better throw in a passive aggressive smiley to convey my thoughts on your level of intelligence :rolleyes:

Parents go to pubs or restaurants with their kids. Great.

But for heaven's sake, will they ever realise that OTHER people who are there too want to enjoy a meal in peace?

The OP had one scenario, And that was tough for the op.

It is great when they are your own kids, but not so great if ya don't have any in tow!

So I limit to going for a meal to evening, not Bank Holidays. What is wrong with that?

That's the only time I have encountered someone who clearly had a problem with children in general and as a result was over sensitive to even normal noise. A person without that issue is more likely to get on with whatever it is they are doing without even noticing what other people around them are doing. It's certainly more believable than the people who say every time they go out in public there are unruly children everywhere!

It's not a question of bold children invading every corner of civilised society, it's a question of tolerance and the sense of entitlement people have. Grown adults behaving as if they're assaulted every time a kid makes a sound, or complaining that they're all indulged, obese, playstation-addicted brats who aren't allowed play outside, and if the kids are outside they complain about the noisy brats ruining their peace and kicking their ball in plain sight while unsupervised by their neglectful, drink addled, dole scrounging parents.

I hope I'm never so precious or entitled that my day is ruined by a kid playing, or speaking, or moving. Or existing.

Some love kids no matter what they do.

Some cannot stand them no matter.

Each to their own.

In fairness, the thread seems to accommodate this!

• Advertisement

It's not a question of bold children invading every corner of civilised society, it's a question of tolerance and the sense of entitlement people have. Grown adults behaving as if they're assaulted every time a kid makes a sound, or complaining that they're all indulged, obese, playstation-addicted brats who aren't allowed play outside, and if the kids are outside they complain about the noisy brats ruining their peace and kicking their ball in plain sight while unsupervised by their neglectful, drink addled, dole scrounging parents.

I hope I'm never so precious or entitled that my day is ruined by a kid playing, or speaking, or moving. Or existing.

Don't forget the breathing. Little oxygen hoggers the lot of them :D

I've had situations with my own when they were young (2-4)when things are at their toughest imo. They pitched fits and tested boundaries. That's their JOB. That's how we learn to become adults, by testing boundaries and situations. They were corrected at the time and spoken to afterwards about it. On a couple of occasions no good could be gotten and we had to leave where we were. And they were REALLY spoken to about this.

But if people think that badly behaved children and poor parenting are a new thing, well think again. They are not.
    And I can't for the life of me work out how people get so discommoded by this. Think about it this way....they ain't your kids so you dont have to live with them and therefore not your problem :D

What are you even talking about? Where has anyone said their entire day is ruined by a kid playing/speaking/moving/existing? The melodramatics just cheapen any semblance of a valid point.

I haven't read any (serious) posts where people bemoan the mere existence of children, however, I have read posts where people bemoan having to put up with screaming kids and unsupervised kids in public places, particularly when everybody is entitled to enjoyment of the public place. Is it really so difficult to understand that point of view?

Take this post for example:

Are you trying to tell me that in that if you were on a flight, no matter how long, and there was a child kicking your seat and the parents refused to acknowledge the problem you would just say "Ah children will be children" and sit there while the child hammered their feet into the back of your seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NoAlarms

I think this is a pain in the arse. I have 3 children, one of whom is now a teenager with a great ability to put her phone away(imagine that). All these distractions like tablets serve no purpose, learn some manners. I think its neither fair on the people around you or those trying to serve you dinner to have arseh0le kids dictating..

I haven't read the whole thread(new so working on settings),sorry if its been said, but the "my little darling" people in real life really pi$$ me off. I've been a parent for years, my other two other kids also know how to to behave in a restaurant...guess what, they eat at a kitchen table at home.Not to say that its nice to go out and eat and we can enjoy it(occasionally, expensive)

"Shall I get chicken nuggets so Mommy can be on the internet darling"

NoAlarms wrote: »
    I think this is a pain in the arse. I have 3 children, one of whom is now a teenager with a great ability to put her phone away(imagine that). All these distractions like tablets serve no purpose, learn some manners. I think its neither fair on the people around you or those trying to serve you dinner to have arseh0le kids dictating..

I haven't read the whole thread(new so working on settings),sorry if its been said, but the "my little darling" people in real life really pi$$ me off. I've been a parent for years, my other two other kids also know how to to behave in a restaurant...guess what, they eat at a kitchen table at home.Not to say that its nice to go out and eat and we can enjoy it(occasionally, expensive)

"Shall I get chicken nuggets so Mommy can be on the internet darling"

Jesus, self righteous much? :pac:

Also, where are people going that there are hoards of these Lord of the Flies children?
    I was out for lunch today with a group of people. There were 9 children with us. There were lots of other people with families and large groups. LOTS of children including babies and toddlers.
    Not one child milling around the place or going mental and thats the gods honest truth.

all to common, in the local today having dinner

"go on on out there and play" its a bloody car park

another chap gives his 2 kids (about 6-9 id say) a tenner " i dont want to see you back here til the match is over"

Classy parents

Jesus, it was the last day of the league. Cavan could have gotten promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You shouldn't bring your kids along while you drink. That is all.

You shouldn't bring your kids along while you drink. That is all.

How are they going to learn to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NoAlarms

Smidge wrote: »
    Jesus, self righteous much? :pac:

I was being sarcastic, I thought people read the threads they react to,I was saying anything but.. Glad you enjoyed your lunch

NoAlarms wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic, I thought people read the threads they react to,I was saying anything but.. Glad you enjoyed your lunch

I did thanks and it wasn't chicken nuggets.

I go to my local hotel on average of once a week for a bit of grub with the kids and I might have a pint. There may be somebody I know at the bar in which case I may leave the table and have a chat. The kids are 6 and 11, so have a bit of cop on and are well behaved but they were obviously younger and needed to be taught how to behave: in public and in private. When they were younger, I have brought them places and I have left places because they were acting up. (I came back a few hours later and they were grand, proprietors not impressed). That is all on the caring side for people who do not currently have young kids. However, if I am in a 'family' hotel and there is an easter egg hunt, trick or treat, christening, communion or similar in full flight, I just grin and bear it or get the hell out. When the ankle biters get together in serious numbers, there is nothing that can be done.

Re the OP: stay with your kids in a pub/hotel, teach them how to behave in public, don't leave them there all night, have some fun with them and wear sunscreen.

Before anyone starts: yes, I am the perfect parent. We used to get a bottle of cavan cola and a packet of tayto and sit out in the car. I miss cavan cola.

• Advertisement
Advertisement