Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting a room

Options
  • 05-04-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've been looking for an apartment/house for a while as my landlord is selling the apartment I'm in.
    I found a two bed and have signed the lease. I told the propert agent I would be looking for someone to move in and should I get the person who I choose to pop in and sign the lease as a tenant. She said no, they won't be signing the lease. You can look after that yourself.

The apartment I'm currently in is a 3 bed and we've always signed new people into the lease.

Is there anything I should legally do when I find my new houseate?
    I will have to take a deposit and they might want rent receipt?
    Can't find much info online!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You will be operating the rent a room scheme, your flatmate will be a licensee not a tenant. You will hold their deposit and be their de facto landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

athtrasna wrote: »
    You will be operating the rent a room scheme, your flatmate will be a licensee not a tenant. You will hold their deposit and be their de facto landlord.

Don't take anyone who wants rent allowance. Far too messy when it's a rent a room and you're not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Get references, and phone their old LL reference (preferably a landline). Use your instinct, you are very exposed here.

Advertisement