Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flybe confirms dropping of London City-Dublin route

• 05-04-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this was discussed here?

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/03/23/53581/flybe-confirms-dropping-of-london-city-dublin-route.html

It's a shame, it was good to have a lot of competition on that route.
    I fly that route regularly (once a fortnight at least) but since the beginning of the year I've only used BA due to their better planes and service.
    I think Flybe's failing was not differentiating the service from their usual low-fare stuff: most of LCY travellers would be business travellers and not hugely cost-senstive but want a good product and possibly a good loyalty program.

I presume EI would never consider going head to head with BA on that route?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Someone had to blink, it was uber competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

donvito99 wrote:
    Someone had to blink, it was uber competitive.

I was hoping it would be Flybe, Cityjet are in financial troubles at the moment, BA wouldn't budge imo. Given that the others had a better service, it comes as little surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

man98 wrote: »
    I was hoping it would be Flybe, Cityjet are in financial troubles at the moment, BA wouldn't budge imo. Given that the others had a better service, it comes as little surprise.

Yes, but I think if CityJet were muscled out they'd be wound up.

Question, when did Aer Arann start/stop flying into LCY? And I imagine EI Commuter ceased ops when that brand was wound up c. 2003?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,906 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aer Arran dropped their last LCY route - from IOM - when they moved to being entirely EI franchised

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭keroseneboy

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Not sure if this was discussed here?

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/03/23/53581/flybe-confirms-dropping-of-london-city-dublin-route.html

It's a shame, it was good to have a lot of competition on that route.
    I fly that route regularly (once a fortnight at least) but since the beginning of the year I've only used BA due to their better planes and service.

I presume EI would never consider going head to head with BA on that route?

To land in LCY, aircraft and crews have to be certified for the 4 degree steep approach. I do not think any of the Aer Lingus 319/320's can be certified for such an approach. Therefore they have no aircraft capable of landing there.

• Advertisement

To land in LCY, aircraft and crews have to be certified for the 4 degree steep approach. I do not think any of the Aer Lingus 319/320's can be certified for such an approach. Therefore they have no aircraft capable of landing there.

Only the A318 is certified for LCY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

LCY has 5.5 degree glide.
    Stobarts remaining 500 series ATR's are steep approach capable (and certified).

Advertisement