Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Walshestown Park, Newbridge

Options
  • 05-04-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am currently thinking of buying in Walshestown park , Newbridge . Does anyone have any views on this estate. Is it a nice estate. Are there any issues there , If anyone can give any feedback it would appreciated . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Hi Sparky,

I bought there myself recently enough.

It is a really nice estate. Very quiet and (I find) very safe. Lots of young families and there's always kids playing on the greens and mixing together which I think is a good thing.

Pretty high occupancy rate and the very vast majority is owner occupied.

The units themselves are all large (especially the detached 5 beds). If you're buying on the bend of the cul de sacs, you'll get a larger garden. They are well built (according to my surveyor), relatively new and pretty warm, though insulation in the attic is a bit below todays standards. All should have 3 bathrooms. Bedrooms are spacious, especially the master bed. Even the box room is relatively big. Living room is really big. Kitchens have a separate utility room with water services so you can plumb your washing machine and dryer/dishwasher in there out of the way.

The main issue as was linked to above is with a potential for flooding. This is not because the area is a flood risk but more because the estate has not been taken in charge by Kildare County Council. There is a few reasons for this. Firstly it is believed that the developers bond was allowed to lapse by KCC, now that the developer is bust, there is no cash to complete work in the estate. Although visually there is no work to complete, there is costs that the developer should bear in relation to surveying that everything is completed as specified in the plan. That includes video inspections of the drains and sewers. Then KCC said that there was an issue with legislation relating to Irish Water meaning they could not take in charge. That issue has been resolved now. They also said that they have to take both Walshestown Park and Walshestown Abbey in charge at the same time. That has complicated matters but it is only a matter of time before they do take in charge. It is not a case of if. There has been some surveying of the drains and sewers in the last few months. The reason there was the flood linked above was due to a combination of a freak amount of rain at the time and the fact that there was a problem with a waste water pump, so the water was not being pumped away and ultimately the water backup in the drains and up to the surface. Due to the obvious public health and safety implications, KCC now monitor the pumps and pay the electricity bills for the pumps (as the developer is bust). There have been no such floods this winter.

Martin Heydon TD is involved now with lobbying KCC for answers on the matter of taking in charge. There seems to be progress being made.

PM me if you have specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sparky1972

Hi Gavman, Many thanks for the detailed and informative reply , I am a bit nervous over the whole flood and contamination risk so I have decided to pull out . The Councils have no money these days so I wouldn't like to rely on them , pity because it was a fine well built house

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ryan444

Hi there, theres only one small section of the estate, the couple of houses bordering Belmont Green that even got affected by that flood, I think the water came up on to their driveway and into the garden, the vast majority of the estate didn't even know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 claireomurphy

Anyone any idea if any busses go by Walshestown to Newbridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rob859

hi all,
    im in the process of buying in the estate and our solicitor has just raised the issue that the estate still hasent been taken over by the council.
    does any1 know if there has been any further development with it, has there ever been any issues with the roads/lights ect besides the flooding incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

Hi I just came across this thread. And saw the last comment was never replied to but I have a similar question. We are sale agreed on a house in walshestown park and our solicitor is looking into the developer going bust and the situation with the council taking over the estate. We may have an issue proceeding with the sale because of this.
    I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this? Has the council taken it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Inquisitive73

Hi - If council and Irish water have not taken charge, do the residents have any issues with this situation? How are cleaning, green area's, water issues, lighting, sewerage issues being handled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JamesYesmortgageIE

Does anyone have any more information on the flooding issues? Which area of Walshetown Park does this affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

I bought a house here nearly 3 years ago, and have not experienced any flooding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement