Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trees near driveway

• 05-04-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all

im planning on planting a row of trees on each side of my driveway
    so my question is how far from driveway should i plant them because of roots
    and also how far apart from each other,

was thinking of planting whitebeam or cherry

thanks kerb.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I had a big old cherry and the roots nearest the trunk protruded above ground for a couple of metres but the soil was raised for another couple along the line of the root. If this is typical it would tear up your driveway unless planted way back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

kerb wrote: »
    Hi all

im planning on planting a row of trees on each side of my driveway
    so my question is how far from driveway should i plant them because of roots
    and also how far apart from each other,

was thinking of planting whitebeam or cherry

thanks kerb.

How big do you want these trees to get? As mentioned by Rose, cherry roots are particularly bad. I wouldn't put them anywhere near kerb, concrete, tarmac etc.

I have some Acers alongside my driveway. About 4 metres tall. They are in 10 years and I haven't had any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

Was thinking cherry but heard the roots can be bad its about 2.5 meters from drive
    was also thinkin whitebeam or mix a few have 9 trees to plant

Advertisement