Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend tv

Options
  • 05-04-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right forum.

Looking for a recommendation on a TV for the xbox one. It will primarily be used for gaming. Doesn't need smart apps or doesn't need to be 3d.

My budget could be up to 1000 - 1200 euro.

I'm thinking at least 55 inches.

From what I am reading - curved TVs are still a bit of gimmick, although I am tempted by this peach...

http://www.did.ie/samsung-55-smart-3d-curved-led-tv-ue55h6800-prd

Ultra hd screens (4k) screens sound great in practice, but very little content is available anyway and I would be concerned about delays in up scaling hd game images to 4k and any possible delays therein.

The more I look into it, the more confused I'm getting... Any recommendations appreciated.

Muppet man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Muppet Man wrote: »

Looking for a recommendation on a TV for the xbox one. It will primarily be used for gaming. Doesn't need smart apps or doesn't need to be 3d.

From what I am reading - curved TVs are still a bit of gimmick, although I am tempted by this peach...

Ultra hd screens (4k) screens sound great in practice, but very little content is available anyway and I would be concerned about delays in up scaling hd game images to 4k and any possible delays therein.

The more I look into it, the more confused I'm getting... Any recommendations appreciated.

Muppet man.

55" is massive, from a personal point of view, I've actually found it difficult to play on anything bigger than 40. Essentially I found that the larger screen meant that I was essentially moving my head, as opposed to just my eyes to take in details that are occuring at the edge of the screen. If your room is big enough to accomodate a 55", go for It I suppose, but it might be worth trying it out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Fair point, I hadn't considered that.... I have to get down to one of the stores just to see how big they are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Muppet Man wrote: »

Muppet man.

I would say go for a 4K over anything with 3D in it. The crazy thing about 4K will be it might be a bit of a gimmick at the moment as there is not much content for it but i would rather be future proof. Netflix and Youtube is the best place to be at the moment for content but you need at lest 25MB internet to be able to stream at 4K and also if you have netflix you will have to upgrade your price plan to the €12 a month one to be able to watch what content they have on 4K.

The games won't be up scaled to 4K they be still running at the resolution that they where to designed to run at just say i game is running at 1080P it will be displayed and be running at 1080P. I know my 4 year old high end at the time Panasonic changes resolution from 1080P to 720P depending on what the HDMI is outputting from the games console.

With size you will need to be looking at what the input lag is for games as i googled that TV and its between 42MS to 60MS it dosint sound much but when you play games online you can note it quite a lot in shooters and say Fifa. So if buying try and buy what ever has the smallest input lag.

With screen size try and get what ever fits your room. When i got mine 4 years ago i got a 42 inch but i am quite sorry i didn't go for the 50 inch at the time as it could have easily fitted into my bedroom. So buy what size you think is right get out a measuring tape and size up the tv size your looking at online to where you won't to place the tv is going to be placed to get a good idea of what it will look like in your room.

Best of luck shopping for your new tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

The most important question when it comes to a tv, in my opinion, is how far away from the tv are you going to be when using it?

Here is an excellent article on how to figure out what size/resolution you should be looking for: http://www.rtings.com/info/television-size-to-distance-relationship

Thanks Sam... thanks Dermo - thats a great website... love the way you can compare input lag for each of the TVs. Good find. Lowest input lag was actually the Sony 950B and 850B also recommended

More reading to be done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I would say go for a 4K over anything with 3D in it.

OP, be careful of 4K, a lot of the sets have really awful input lag, I am talking lag that is noticeable.

You can find some results here:

http://www.displaylag.com/lg-samsung-sony-input-lag-results-4k/

Also, some of them will only support certain video formats for 4K streaming as well, so look out for that.

Just to close the loop here. Bought a Sony 55W829b. Its a 55 inch TV that has a very low input lag figure and generally very good reviews all around. It's 1080p but not 4k. I was concerned about possible lag with upscaling game content, and general lack of available 4k content.

Destiny looks absolutely immense on it. The "game mode" from Sony really hits the mark.

Bought in power city for €1100 including a 5 yr warranty.

Thx for all the advice.

Muppet man

Advertisement