Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stabbing incident at Milltown LUAS station

• 06-04-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you've been to the Milltown area of South Dublin, you'll know it's quite nice: one of the posher parts, on the Dodder where the SUVs roam wild, the grass is always green, and the property prices start at "unaffordable". It's on the LUAS Green line, which is the envy of commuters on the Red Line. Except that earlier this evening, security guards on a tram spotted three men fighting on the platform and got off to stop the fight.

Turns out it wasn't just a fight: two of the men were stabbing the third, and when the guards intervened, they got stabbed and pepper-sprayed too, but managed to subdue the attackers. I walked past there an hour ago, and it was sealed off with CSIs doing their thing. It's a truly bizarre incident in all respects - the place, the day, and the circumstances. Has anyone heard anything more than is being reported in the papers?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Redline cretins must have got lost and ended on the peaceful green line.

Hope nobody is seriouly hurt especially the Garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Gatling wrote: »

For real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I read about gangs of "yoofs" who were grabbing bags as the doors were closing / opening at that stop. The driver led all the passengers out the front door I think. I read it on boards somewhere... see if you can find it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are they employing children to write articles now? Someone needs to proof read stuff before it goes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

My son was threatened with a knife and had his phone stolen at Cowper Rd. stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Gatling wrote: »

Garda arrived to mop up, but it was two STT security guards who intervened. If they're anything like the guys I've seen before - huge Polish rugby players - the attackers are lucky they weren't stomped flat.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

From RTE

Three people, including a security guard, have been injured in a stabbing incident following a row in south Dublin.

It is understood an altercation between three men, aged in their 20s and 30s, was reported at Milltown on the Luas Green Line at around 8pm.

Two of the men, and a security guard who intervened, were stabbed.

Two men were arrested at the scene.

None of the victims' injuries are believed to be life threatening but gardaí said the situation could have been a lot more serious had the security guard not intervened.

The Luas stop was closed for a time for a forensic examination

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Wow shocking ! and now that it's happend on the green line i bet it wont be long before we see gaurds on trams ! green ones anyway ! The security gaurds are hereos !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just wait til they've connected the Red & Green lines

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Wow shocking ! and now that it's happend on the green line i bet it wont be long before we see gaurds on trams ! green ones anyway ! The security gaurds are hereos !

If it happened on the red line it probably woundn't even make it into the headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Are they employing children to write articles now? Someone needs to proof read stuff before it goes up.
    Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

You wouldn't get that on your way to Tallaght, I tell you. I never feel safe on the green line. I always can't wait to be back on the red line with my own kind. :pac:

Macavity. wrote: »
    You wouldn't get that on your way to Tallaght, I tell you. I never feel safe on the green line. I always can't wait to be back on the red line with my own kind. :pac:
    Miltown, Raneleigh and Rathmines are ....odd areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

When I read these stories I just feel disgust in the pit of my stomach. Pure and utter scumbags. Anyone who is found carrying a concealed knife should have a fixed term sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

There's always been a bit of an exaggeration about the green line on boards, it's doesn't just go by mansions the whole way, plenty of the stops have nearby council estates, bound to be a few scum around(though the majority from these areas are lovely). I've seen a few assaults in Balally stop and Ballyogan Wood. Not to say it's anywhere near as bad as the red line, which needs to be policed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

OMG loike

jungleman wrote: »
    Anyone who is found carrying a concealed knife should have a fixed term sentence.

There could be any number of reasons why someone would carry a knife but is far from a Scumbag.

There's always been a bit of an exaggeration about the green line on boards, it's doesn't just go by mansions the whole way, plenty of the stops have nearby council estates, bound to be a few scum around(though the majority from these areas are lovely). I've seen a few assaults in Balally stop and Ballyogan Wood. Not to say it's anywhere near as bad as the red line, which needs to be policed.

Lol. I suppose no "scum" live in mansions either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Simon2015 wrote:
    There could be any number of reasons why someone would carry a knife but is far from a Scumbag.

Why would you carry a knife? give me any number reasons please.

It's a very wealthy area. I used to go to college there. But it's odd very strange characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

neckedit wrote: »

Peeling an apple ?!?

Simon2015 wrote: »

Apart from a workman who carries a knife on his belt as part of a kit, I don't see the need for it really. If someone is walking around with a kitchen knife concealed in a sock however, I would hazard a guess that they are a scumbag.

I've carried one when I was going camping.

Peeling an apple ?!?

Brilliant.....thanks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Do you camp much on the Luas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Doesn't the green line have a dining car? Probably took it by mistake after his truffle

Simon2015 wrote:

Right....far from Many Reasons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

My job requires me to have a knife. People who camp, sailors, scouts all may be carrying knives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

pconn062 wrote: »
    Do you camp much on the Luas?

I could not keep up de repayments, bank repossessed de house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Still, least they have security on the luas, if it happened on a dublin bus the driver would have just kept going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I leave five mins from the stop, a little shocked this has happened tbh... The article in the indo = glorified tabloid rag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

While serious for you or I, in the eyes of the law it is a bit of a non event, the culprits will just give the old sob story of how they had a rough / disavantaged childhood and how they did not get the same chances as others .... And voila...they will be off with a caution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The news reports are thin on detail, sure - that's why I was wondering if there was more info out there.

They don't have security on the Green Line all the time, just when they think they need it. I didn't think Easter Sunday evening would be one of those times, which shows you what I know.

— Kingsley Amis

stunmer wrote:
    My job requires me to have a knife. People who camp, sailors, scouts all may be carrying knives.

does your job require you to travel on the Luaa with your tools.....Scouts, Sailors. ...really kinda clutching at straws here. .....Any way the point is there are a lotta scumbags carrying knives....not for work or any other outdoor pursuits, but for intimidation and actually harming people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Stop looking to get offended, you know what I meant. Scum from upper class backgrounds don't normally go around the stabbing people, doesn't mean they're not scum(ie. a lot of bankers from the recession who owe the country millions).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

bnt wrote:
    If you've been to the Milltown area of South Dublin, you'll know it's quite nice: one of the posher parts, o

columbanus and Rosemount 5 mins walk away. there's scum everywhere

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Thank you!

No bother pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I always carry a knife (accompanied by a fork) when travelling on the Southside in case i encounter one of these "pop-up" restaurants described in the irish times weekend supplement, and I can assure you that I am no scumbag, far from it, my good man....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

If it happened on the red line it probably woundn't even make it into the headlines.

Last month: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tallaght-luas-red-line-stop-closed-after-two-males-assaulted-1.2143224

Anti social behaviour is city wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Plenty of scum in the Fatima Mansions.

• Advertisement

does your job require you to travel on the Luaa with your tools.....Scouts, Sailors. ...really kinda clutching at straws here. .....Any way the point is there are a lotta scumbags carrying knives....not for work or any other outdoor pursuits, but for intimidation and actually harming people.

Yup, I have had jobs where it is easier to travel on the Luas / bus than drive especially during rush hour. Also there is 53 degrees North in Carrickmines on the luas line which sell knives for adventure sports. There is a good DIY shop 2 minutes from Charlemount which sell knives also. Not at all clutching at straws. You asked for any number of reasons why someone would have a knife on the luas and I gave you many reasons.

It is difficult because many scumbags may carry knives but there will be people legitimately carrying knives also. An outright ban is not the solution.

Just hearing reports that one of the assailants was a scout, the other a sailor. They were both about to go camping on the Luas.

Just hearing reports that one of the assailants was a scout, the other a sailor. They were both about to go camping on the Luas.

Hey, I'm just pointing out that your suggestion below is ridiculous.
    Anyone who is found carrying a concealed knife should have a fixed term sentence.

stunmer wrote: »
    Hey, I'm just pointing out that your suggestion below is ridiculous.

Thanks. For. That.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Unconfirmed that the perpetrators were homeless or from the travelling community.

You send a LUAS out to Balally; you must deal with the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

These guys attacked the Luas security with a knife and pepper spray. I think calling them scum is acceptable.

nc19 wrote: »
    columbanus and Rosemount 5 mins walk away. there's scum everywhere

/thread

Wft is that supposed to mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Oh plenty of scum live in mansions. But you won't need to worry about them stabbing you with a knife if you don't hand over your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They are not actually allowed touch people. The do look rather KGB though.

Being regulated security staff they are entitled to eject people or restrain.much the same as nightclub staff but sure whatever you are having yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Plenty of scum in the Fatima Mansions.

Not any more there's not. The Mansions are long gone.

The scum roam the streets these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement