Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking good in pictures

• 06-04-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

are you at all photogenic? does the camera do you justice? I always wondered if there was any truth to the idea of the camera adding ten pounds, and if there is a real discrepancy between how we appear in photos vs how we are in reality. I always look ''different'' in pictures then how I think I appear in my head, my features look way off how I perceive them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Not in the least bit photogenic tbh. I can feel my blood pressure rising and I break out in sweats as I hate appearing in photos or being asked to stand in for photos, so the blood pressure causes my face to go a crimson colour, and then I hate having to smile because I look like a gimp with that fake smile one is expected to do in photos.

Hate them, absolutely hate photos, oh and that's just the face, I won't even start on how the camera hates my pigeon chest, pot belly and chicken legs! :(

I just wish people would put their cameras away on nights out and at events, a person shouldn't feel they have to capture every moment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

You're so used to your mug that you'll spot your ugly bits quicker than other people who won't pay much attention to what you look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I look pretty much how I look in photos. No actually I look better :-P

No one looks good in every photo. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

What pisses me off most is people taking a photo of me and it ending up on Facebook without my permission. I take care to put as little info as possible on there including photos, a quick look at my profile would reveal as much. Any time I see a photo of me, even if I've only been caught in the background I immediately demand its removal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

We look different in photos (and as perceived by other people) than we look in the mirror, unless we happen to be freakishly symmetrical... I've never mastered the art of looking anything but uncomfortable in photos (rabbit in the headlights) unless I don't know it's being taken, then it's double chin and crazy eyes time... Thankfully I've mastered the art of not caring! Life's too short!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Schwiiing wrote: »
    What pisses me off most is people taking a photo of me and it ending up on Facebook without my permission.

Also this can potentially ruin ones career.

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    What have you been up to?:P

LadyAthame wrote: »
    What have you been up to?:P

A golfing weekend away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

Tell us more. Who caught ya'?

You can't leave it like that..come on spill! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its an odd one. Apparently the eye makes up for a lot. How you look in a picture is more or less how other people see you even though it may be a different picture of how you see yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Tell us more. Who caught ya'?

He was dozing someone else s bunker...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Any time I see a photo of me, even if I've only been caught in the background I immediately demand its removal.

That's a bit over the top. If your in a crowded place like a tourist spot or pub/club you will be in the background of people's pictures, including strangers.

As long as your not the subject of the picture I don't see the problem. This is coming from someone who hasn't posted pics on facebook in over two years. I'm private but if I'm in a public place, I consider being in the background fairgame.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I look terrible in photos, suspended animation is not my friend. That's what I like to tell myself anyway.

You can't leave it like that..come on spill! :D

A 'golfing' holiday to Spain with a few mates.

He was dozing someone else s bunker...:D
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Thanks to my dark skin and eyes I come out photogenic. I look at me in pictures and I think, that's a good looking dude. But when I see myself in the mirror. I never associate the 2 images in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

It's not you, it's the camera. Some phone cameras are not very high quality. They distort images a lot, and they give you an impression that you are not photogenic. Lighting also plays a role - even in the best cameras, low amount of lighting or poorly chosen focus can also make yourself look a bit different.

The cheap solution is to use some kind of an automatic photo editing programme, like Fotor photo editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

That hands on the hips thing that women do is a bit odd isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Mallagio wrote: »
    That hands on the hips thing that women do is a bit odd isn't it?

"I'm a little teapot, short and stout...here's my handle, and here's my spout"

• Advertisement

What pisses me off most is people taking a photo of me and it ending up on Facebook without my permission. I take care to put as little info as possible on there including photos, a quick look at my profile would reveal as much. Any time I see a photo of me, even if I've only been caught in the background I immediately demand its removal.
    Some people are like this. It's a little odd though. I guess Some people are very private and don't like snooping etc. I respect people's boundaries. I guess they have their reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

;)

You a "golfer" too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

I know people, well women actually who have worked out the best angle to take their selfie and the best pose to make them look their slimmest. They have actually put an awful lot of effort into perfecting their "blue steel"

The end result of this is that all of their photos look weirdly contrived as if some one has photo shopped them into a background. As soon as a camera is out they get into their pose. If a picture doesn't meet their exacting standards it is deleted and re shot. I kinda think this behaviour is a bit vain... The best photos are the ones where the subject isn't aware they are being photographed..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

We need to screenshot this post to make sure it's real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

When my friend is ready to leave the house on a night out she makes me take a photo of her cos she always says that's how you really look to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GTX 780

I hate pictures of myself, I look much better in the mirror. It's probably over five years since I last got into a photo.

I don't think there's one photo of me on the internet, thank God.

When my friend is ready to leave the house on a night out she makes me take a photo of her cos she always says that's how you really look to other people.
    I do that sometimes. Especially for hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

And do people tell you to go schwiiiing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

whilst seeing a man about a dog en route :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The key to looking good in photos is to be really, really good looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I look pretty bad or average in most photos because I'm just not that conventionally attractive. I'd say 1 out of every 50 pictures of me that are taken I actually do look good in though, which is primarily due to lighting, camera angle etc... A person can really make themselves look great as a result of filters, camera angle and lighting if they put enough time into it, which clearly a lot of people do if Facebook and Tinder is anything to go by. As previously mentioned some women have this down to an art form. Everyone wants to look like the movie stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't go to my white power meetings without my robes any more for just that reason.

The key to looking good in photos is to be really, really good looking
    I find it works for me :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Definitely not photogenic. If I'm not wearing make-up, which is most of the time, I tend to look like a junkie, big dark circles all around my eyes, not just underneath. Sexy stuff!

The odd time I'll luck into looking nice in a photo, but that's an infrequent occurrence. It usually happens when I'm wearing make-up. I wear light make-up but it evens out the ol' skin tone enough that I don't like a dirty needle has just been removed from my arm. :pac:

Macavity. wrote: »
    I look pretty bad or average in most photos because I'm just not that conventionally attractive. I'd say 1 out of every 50 pictures of me that are taken I actually do look good in though, which is primarily due to lighting, camera angle etc... A person can really make themselves look great as a result of filters, camera angle and lighting if they put enough time into it, which clearly a lot of people do if Facebook and Tinder is anything to go by. As previously mentioned some women have this down to an art form. Everyone wants to look like the movie stars.
    Everybody is attractive in their own way.

Every body is beautiful and has it's own aesthetic, the wonderful curve of a nose or a line. I find the human body so moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Everybody is attractive in their own way.

It's always the good looking people say that, while they console aesthetically challenged people with this -

Every body is beautiful and has it's own aesthetic, the wonderful curve of a nose or a line. I find the human body so moving.

I find my body moving too...

as far out of the shot as possible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I always look drugged or something, half closed crazy eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

I always look drugged or something, half closed crazy eyes.

Me too lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I looked dreadful with my wonky eye. Hopefully when my eye heals at least that won't be the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Definitely not photogenic. If I'm not wearing make-up, which is most of the time, I tend to look like a junkie, big dark circles all around my eyes, not just underneath. Sexy stuff!

The odd time I'll luck into looking nice in a photo, but that's an infrequent occurrence. It usually happens when I'm wearing make-up. I wear light make-up but it evens out the ol' skin tone enough that I don't like a dirty needle has just been removed from my arm. :pac:

Same here, I get the dark circles and look like death :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

That's to do with the light. I get that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Agree with the privacy thing, nothing worse than getting tagged in an awful picture you weren't even asked to pose for, not looking at the camera, staring blankly into space, eyes half shut or just looking stoned, depressed, angry etc. And they just plonk it on Facebook

Were we really better off years ago when our photographs were sent off to be developed and then kept in albums in our homes, seen by only close friends and kept off the Internet?

I suppose not in the sense that social media allows photos to be seen by a large audience of people who wouldn't have seen them otherwise, close friends who couldn't attend a wedding can see what they missed, so it does have its benefits. Rather than having to dig out a photo album for each individual who wishes to see them.

But if you're a private type them it can be a nightmare. Facebook is set up so that people can see what you're doing, where you are etc. Should you choose to post it, but it's taken out of your hands when someone tags you at an event or a picture you preferred was kept private, meaning people now know where you've been without you saying a word. Im a private type who doesn't want too many people knowing too much of my business, not in a self absorbed way, I just don't want My life played out through social media, too many people fall into that trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Agree with the privacy thing, nothing worse than getting tagged in an awful picture you weren't even asked to pose for, not looking at the camera, staring blankly into space, eyes half shut or just looking stoned, depressed, angry etc. And they just plonk it on Facebook

Were we really better off years ago when our photographs were sent off to be developed and then kept in albums in our homes, seen by only close friends and kept off the Internet?

I suppose not in the sense that social media allows photos to be seen by a large audience of people who wouldn't have seen them otherwise, close friends who couldn't attend a wedding can see what they missed, so it does have its benefits. Rather than having to dig out a photo album for each individual who wishes to see them.

But if you're a private type them it can be a nightmare. Facebook is set up so that people can see what you're doing, where you are etc. Should you choose to post it, but it's taken out of your hands when someone tags you at an event or a picture you preferred was kept private, meaning people now know where you've been without you saying a word. Im a private type who doesn't want too many people knowing too much of my business, not in a self absorbed way, I just don't want My life played out through social media, too many people fall into that trap.

You can set tags to be approved by you before publishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Pure sexy, wha'? :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I look awful in them, I avoid photos like the plague. If someone gets the camera out they will prob be told to fúck off if they think I'm going to get in a photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I hate photos of myself and usually manage to get out of them. The last photos I allowed to be taken of me where almost 11 years ago, and only because it was our wedding day.

Advertisement