Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubble and fly and spinning?(Need reply for Tuesday)

Options
  • 06-04-2015 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

How do I fish with bubble and fly?Id like to fly fish but I don't have the gear and I'd love to try bubble and fly.I have plenty of clear bubbles and a choice of wet and dry flies.I will be targeting rainbow trout and maybe sometime wild brown trout.How do I set it up,cast it and retrieve it?I also would like to spin.I have a silver mepps aglia,a red spot gold mepps comet,a blue dot silver mepps comet and a 12g abu toby.How would I go about with fishing with these lures?I will be cramping down the barbs on the hooks for the best chance of survival as I am a huge fan of catch and release.I used to fish worm but too much gut hooks for my liking.I will be fishing brownies and rainbows with the lures.

I would love to start catching fish on bubble and fly.I caught 1 small wild brownie on bubble and fly and lost 1 but that was about it.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Since you say you don't have fly gear I presume you're trying to cast a fly with your spinning rod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are many videos online showing a technique. Personally I don't get why you'd bother, as it a hybrid that is neither one thing or the other. I thought you said 5 months ago that you had started fly fishing.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

There are many videos online showing a technique. Personally I don't get why you'd bother, as it a hybrid that is neither one thing or the other. I thought you said 5 months ago that you had started fly fishing.:confused:

I didn't start fly fishing after all:(Can you please answer all my questions asked,it would be really helpful.I would appreciate it if anybody could just tell me about bubble and fly right here as youtube has all different techniques which I am unsure about.I would like to hear from a person on this thread.I would like to 'bother' because it's the closest thing to fly fishing for me at the moment.Could you also answer my questions on spinning?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

castingbubblewfly.jpg

Set it up like in the picture. With a wet fly tied on. You can fill the bubble with some water so it can cast a bit further.

Thanks for the photo.How long would the line between the bubble and fly?How would it be casted and retrieved?

Thanks for the great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Thanks for the photo.How long would the line between the bubble and fly?How would it be casted and retrieved?

I used to leave it about three feet but you can go longer if you want.Just cast reel it in.There's plenty of videos on youtube, if you have a look.

I would say if you had a leader of 40cm it would be ok. Just cast it out and retrieve it like a spinner maybe a bit slower. Or in faster water cast across the stream and let it swing around.

I've never fished it myself but id imagine that's how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

It would depend on the water your fishing, with rainbow trout they aren't as smart as a wild brownie unless your fishing at catch and release lake and they have been caught before they'll go straight into snags witch nearly always happens in curragh springs(Co.Kildare)I would use wet flies like: Zulu and green Peter and such, obviously you couldn't use dry flies, but if I were you I'd pick up a shakepeasre agility 9' #5 for 70 euro I herd there great rods(http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-agility-fly~14069.html) I'd try and fly fish and get an instructor and you will really enjoy it..
    Tight lines

I'd echo what some of the others are saying with regards to trying fly fishing. It would be worth it.

I would really love to start fly fishing.I have my eyes on a fly fishing rod somewhere else but I have to save up money first.Thats why I am wondering about bubble and fly in the first place because I don't have a fly rod.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the bubble method then!

I would really love to start fly fishing.I have my eyes on a fly fishing rod somewhere else but I have to save up money first.Thats why I am wondering about bubble and fly in the first place because I don't have a fly rod.

What fly rod is it? If I were you don't spend like 150+ as you might not like the fly, and with beginners your casting wouldn't be great until you keep practicing, I didn't get a good fly rod until I was fly fishing for 2+ years..

jack01986 wrote: »
    Good luck with the bubble method then!

I'm going fishing tomorrow an I will be fishing mostly spinners but I will try bubble and fly.Keep your eyes on this thread as I will update ye.

I'm going fishing tomorrow an I will be fishing mostly spinners but I will try bubble and fly.Keep your eyes on this thread as I will update ye.

Also one thing I was fishing today and the river was high so meaby try the spinning as it is very affective in high coloured water

Good luck

What fly rod is it? If I were you don't spend like 150+ as you might not like the fly, and with beginners your casting wouldn't be great until you keep practicing, I didn't get a good fly rod until I was fly fishing for 2+ years..
    It's a blackridge fly rod beginners and it's not dearer than 150.I can't wait to start fly fishing :)

It's a blackridge fly rod beginners and it's not dearer than 150.I can't wait to start fly fishing :)

Good starting rod, good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I use bubble and fly for salmon one one particular part of the river as I can't cast with fly rod

It's easy really set it up as shown in pic. And vary the retrieve

Let it come down the river naturally ,then try retrieving maybe short bursts then long

Just because one retrieve worked one day it doesnt mean it will work the next

Tight lines

Just back.I was spinning all day with all different spinners and I had no luck.It was way too bright and hot and the fish were barely eating.

Just back.I was spinning all day with all different spinners and I had no luck.It was way too bright and hot and the fish were barely eating.

Strangely enough I was out today with my young lad who is only 4 , we were using minnow that we also caught at the river on a size 16 treble and we had 10 trout

Nine of them all about 8-10 inches and one about 1lb weight who nailed it while reeling in

Had a great day and they all swam back , the small lad was delighted to put em back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was out for 4 hours today. Has 6 wild brownies all between half and one point 5 pounds. Fish were feeding as water temp is finally on the rise. It was bright alright but stealth countered that. Good water levels at present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

popsy09 wrote: »
    Strangely enough I was out today with my young lad who is only 4 , we were using minnow that we also caught at the river on a size 16 treble and we had 10 trout

Nine of them all about 8-10 inches and one about 1lb weight who nailed it while reeling in

Had a great day and they all swam back , the small lad was delighted to put em back

How do you catch the minnows? and how do you fish them?

Tipprobb wrote: »
    How do you catch the minnows? and how do you fish them?

A size 16 treble , with either a single maggot/ chopped up worm even bread flake will get them

You can set up a bottle trap too with bread inside a 2 litre bottle with the top cut off and turned into the bottle but check your rules in the river you are fishing , it can be frowned upon with people taking more than they need

Loads of ways of fishing them i use the small treble into the head of the minnow and loop the line around the tail so it keeps the minnow straight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

A size 16 treble , with either a single maggot/ chopped up worm even bread flake will get them

You can set up a bottle trap too with bread inside a 2 litre bottle with the top cut off and turned into the bottle but check your rules in the river you are fishing , it can be frowned upon with people taking more than they need

Loads of ways of fishing them i use the small treble into the head of the minnow and loop the line around the tail so it keeps the minnow straight

Check out this fatso from yesterday :

Do you have any experience spinning?I love spinning as i like being kept active and I don't like worm that much.

I was out for 4 hours today. Has 6 wild brownies all between half and one point 5 pounds. Fish were feeding as water temp is finally on the rise. It was bright alright but stealth countered that. Good water levels at present.

I wasn't that stealthy at all unfortunately.I will be out fishing in the lake near me for wild brownies using spinners.Don't worry,I will be crimping down the barbs for the wild fish.

Today I learned my lesson,I now know I should hide behind bushes and stuff like that so the trout doesn't see me.Do you have any tips for me on spinning,especially on a sunny day like today was?

Thanks for all your great help,
    MadDog1999

I agree that the water levels are good.The lake today was nearly flooded,I also saw some high rivers.I can't wait to try the lake near me for wild brownies(I just love wild fishing).

P.S.I also tried bubble and fly but I guess the wake from the bubble spooks.

I must watch out for some minnows next time I am at the river. I will try them at some stage during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

The best method to fish a minnow is using a single size 8 hook. Thread the line through the mouth and out the anal vent with a needle, tie on the hook and then pull the line back through until just the bend of the hook is exposed. This is a good setup for rough water conditions that would tear a differently rigged minnow from the hook. In fast water, a dead minnow will often work as well as a live one.

The best method to fish a minnow is using a single size 8 hook. Thread the line through the mouth and out the anal vent with a needle, tie on the hook and then pull the line back through until just the bend of the hook is exposed. This is a good setup for rough water conditions that would tear a differently rigged minnow from the hook. In fast water, a dead minnow will often work as well as a live one.

This is getting off topic.I asked about bubble and fly and spinning.

• Advertisement

This is getting off topic.I asked about bubble and fly and spinning.

Does the bubble not scare the trout?

Advertisement