Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubble and fly and spinning?(Need reply for Tuesday)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Tipprobb wrote: »
    Does the bubble not scare the trout?

Yes the bubble in my opinion does scare the trout.I found this out just recently.That is why I am starting fly fishing but I will have to do chores to get enough money.Fly fishing is very intriguing and exciting to me and I can't wait to start.I just love the idea of trout fly fishing.

I will not be giving up spinning though as it will be my backup if fly does not catch some days,even though be assured I do not think fishing is all about catching the fish,it is about trying to catch the fish.Also I have crimped all the barbs on the hooks of my spinners as the damage to small wild brown trout would be deadly.

Do you fly fish or spin?I am very interested to know what people fly fish or spin on boards as all those people could come together and help each other out.It mightn't happen but it's an idea for a mod or admin to setup.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Yes the bubble in my opinion does scare the trout.I found this out just recently.That is why I am starting fly fishing but I will have to do chores to get enough money.Fly fishing is very intriguing and exciting to me and I can't wait to start.I just love the idea of trout fly fishing.

I will not be giving up spinning though as it will be my backup if fly does not catch some days,even though be assured I do not think fishing is all about catching the fish,it is about trying to catch the fish.Also I have crimped all the barbs on the hooks of my spinners as the damage to small wild brown trout would be deadly.

Do you fly fish or spin?I am very interested to know what people fly fish or spin on boards as all those people could come together and help each other out.It mightn't happen but it's an idea for a mod or admin to setup.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

I fly fish and I use the spinner some times and also the worm when the river is in flood. I de-barb all my spinners and worm hooks and have recently started using barbless hooks for my flies.

I have recently bought an Agility Rise fly rod (7ft) from Shakesphere and I find it a pleasure to fish with.

Tipprobb wrote: »
    I fly fish and I use the spinner some times and also the worm when the river is in flood. I de-barb all my spinners and worm hooks and have recently started using barbless hooks for my flies.

I have recently bought an Agility Rise fly rod (7ft) from Shakesphere and I find it a pleasure to fish with.

I was going to buy 2 shakespeare agility fly rods from fishingmegastore.com but they only have one in stock.I am now going to get a blackridge fly rod as I am only beginning.

I am for barbless hook on spinners and worm but how do you land the fish with barbless fly hooks?Barbed fly hooks are hard enough to land a fish on but barbless?Do you find that the trout get gut hooked on the worm as it seems whenever I catch a trout on a worm the trout always gulps it and gets gut hooked and that's why I do not like worm.I am a keen trout angler.

Just while you're here and answering questions do you fish for sea trout?The rod I will be getting is a 6 weight and I am afraid if it is too light.I heard about having a line 1 weight heavier or lighter and if that is possible I would like to get 7 weight line.Just to be safe I hope to get 6 weight fly line for the sea trout.Also for lure fishing for sea trout would I be able to catch a sea trout on a 12 g green toby?Also I have a blue dot silver mepps comet and a red dot gold mepps comet both size 2 and I also have a silver mepps aglia size 2.Would all these catch a sea trout?I also am wondering would these lures catch brownies including a blue fox size 2 silver with red spots.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I was going to buy 2 shakespeare agility fly rods from fishingmegastore.com but they only have one in stock.I am now going to get a blackridge fly rod as I am only beginning.

I am for barbless hook on spinners and worm but how do you land the fish with barbless fly hooks?Barbed fly hooks are hard enough to land a fish on but barbless?Do you find that the trout get gut hooked on the worm as it seems whenever I catch a trout on a worm the trout always gulps it and gets gut hooked and that's why I do not like worm.I am a keen trout angler.

Just while you're here and answering questions do you fish for sea trout?The rod I will be getting is a 6 weight and I am afraid if it is too light.I heard about having a line 1 weight heavier or lighter and if that is possible I would like to get 7 weight line.Just to be safe I hope to get 6 weight fly line for the sea trout.Also for lure fishing for sea trout would I be able to catch a sea trout on a 12 g green toby?Also I have a blue dot silver mepps comet and a red dot gold mepps comet both size 2 and I also have a silver mepps aglia size 2.Would all these catch a sea trout?I also am wondering would these lures catch brownies including a blue fox size 2 silver with red spots.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

You need a state licence if you want to get sea trout honestly I wouldnt I'd stick with the brownies and rainbows for atleast a year, sea trout is a whole different thing compared to brownies the best time is in summer and if you want to get them you have to fish at night, that's what I'm saying that you should get to know you lake/river before you go for sea trout etc, you'l see them jumping aswell as salmon then note it into a notebook then next year go to spots you seen the most fish and you'l get them I have been fly fishing for 6 years and I'm still not ready to go out in take for the big brownies at night(around 1am) also why would you get two fly rods? An 7 weight is overkill on brownies imo

Tight lines

You need a state licence if you want to get sea trout honestly I wouldnt I'd stick with the brownies and rainbows for atleast a year, sea trout is a whole different thing compared to brownies the best time is in summer and if you want to get them you have to fish at night, that's what I'm saying that you should get to know you lake/river before you go for sea trout etc, you'l see them jumping aswell as salmon then note it into a notebook then next year go to spots you seen the most fish and you'l get them I have been fly fishing for 6 years and I'm still not ready to go out in take for the big brownies at night(around 1am) also why would you get two fly rods? An 7 weight is overkill on brownies imo

Tight lines
    I want to get one for my brother.Thanks for the help though.I am not planning on 7 weight.Did you ever hear about airflo fly rods being good by any chance as I have found a good deal?

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

• Advertisement

I want to get one for my brother.Thanks for the help though.I am not planning on 7 weight.Did you ever hear about airflo fly rods being good by any chance as I have found a good deal?

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

I had the airflo delta and nano have the nano for about 3 years a great wee nymphing rod I wouldn't really use a 6 weight for drys in the rivers I fish, delta was a nice rod, I didn't like so I got the nano instead, but saying that nano 6wt would be a good alrounder for medium sized lake for nymping to dry to lures its a great rod..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

I bought some flies tied on barbless hooks and the point of the hook is extremely sharp, the point of the hook also seems to be a little longer and slightly turned upwards compared to the normal hook. I haven't caught trout yet with these flies.

I do find that the trout are inclined to have the worm swallowed, especially the smaller trout. I am seriously considering giving up fishing with the worm.

The mepps you have are great for brown trout. I don't know about the blue fox.

I have never fished for sea trout.

Don't forget that the fly rod you buy will have written on it the size of flyline suitable for that rod.

I had the airflo delta and nano have the nano for about 3 years a great wee nymphing rod I wouldn't really use a 6 weight for drys in the rivers I fish, delta was a nice rod, I didn't like so I got the nano instead, but saying that nano 6wt would be a good alrounder for medium sized lake for nymping to dry to lures its a great rod..

Thanks I may get the airflo so instead of the shakespeare.

Thanks I may get the airflo so instead of the shakespeare.

What model the nano? I would, but is it a lake and roughly how big is it? Also you'l need a casting instructor that's probaly the most important, if your young lad they will do it for cheap like 20 an hour but it depends on your location and the intructor!!

What model the nano? I would, but is it a lake and roughly how big is it? Also you'l need a casting instructor that's probaly the most important, if your young lad they will do it for cheap like 20 an hour but it depends on your location and the intructor!!

Yes it is a lake and it isn't that huge but it is big.There is 2lb+ brownies in there but most of the trout are small.

• Advertisement
Advertisement