Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for Advice. Old Citroens.

Options
  • 06-04-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi people,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm getting my first car in the next year and am very interested in getting an old Citroen. I've been advised plenty of times that I should get a newer, more reliable care at this stage, but to be honest, the whole reason I'm driving at all is because I want to drive a fun, eccentric car. And i'm not going to be doing tons of driving either. That said, I don't want to pay and absolute ton in petrol/diesel, and I want a car I can drive to Dublin from cork with if needs be.

Also when I say "old", it's less the classy DS look I'm going for and more the almost East German look of the BSA or the more futuristic, almost Robocop look of the BX3 which does it for me.

I don't have much money, so I don't want to pay and absolute ton in petrol/diesel, and I want a car I can drive to Dublin from cork with if needs be.

All/any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just buy as late a BX 17TD as you can find and you'll be grand (assuming your back is not too long - the seat design is too "scooped-out" for the tall - say over 6 foot). The 19D is an acceptable substitute if not in a hurry - they can cruise all day.

Of course getting one of these is the challenge now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Later BX is very reliable, diesels are very economical, easy and cheap to service and very reliable.

The only thing that shops them is the high repair costs on the suspension.

Xantias are easier to get, may be too new for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

They are difficult to push if they break down as the weigh 'an absolute ton'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But you can drive on three wheels if a back tyre deflates!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OP I have a BX project I'm almost finished with if you're interested.

PM if interested.

As more general info I've found them to be easy to work on, easy to get parts for and seriously comfortable to drive and be driven in. I always get a load of attention in mine which I wasn't expecting. And finally, if you have a lot of speed bumps where you live you can ignore them ;)

If looking at them check them carefully for RUST.

• Advertisement
Advertisement