Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What advances in gaming blew your mind the most?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All the Wipeout sound tracks are on youtube. Great sounds. 2097 on the PS1 was amazing, such an improvement on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Didn't a then-famous DJ provide the majority of the soundtrack as well? I believe NiN created the theme for Quake, but I could be wrong.

Yes, Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails did the soundtrack for Quake. Rob Zombie did the soundtrack for Quake 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Quake 2 had an incredible soundtrack. I was blown away by it when I first starting playing Q2.

What really blew me away recently was actually playing the VR version of Quake 2 on the Oculus Rift. Some experience. Despite being such an old game it's still one of the best VR experiences available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have the soundtrack somewhere.
    FSoL were on the sequel with We Have Explosive, purr brilliant.
    Photek as well, and a instrumental version of Firestarter.

Another mind blower was the opening cinema of Gran Turismo, with a Chemicals remix of Everything Must Go by the Manics as soundtrack.
    It took me 10 years to find a CD of that remix!
    And now I have it.
    I'm happy.
    Possibly easily pleased....

Gran Turismo 2 and the cardigans was better IMO,

cardigans.jpg

Nina Presson, I Rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have the soundtrack somewhere.
    FSoL were on the sequel with We Have Explosive, purr brilliant.
    Photek as well, and a instrumental version of Firestarter.

Another mind blower was the opening cinema of Gran Turismo, with a Chemicals remix of Everything Must Go by the Manics as soundtrack.
    It took me 10 years to find a CD of that remix!
    And now I have it.
    I'm happy.
    Possibly easily pleased....

The Manics and the Chemical Brothers were a surprisingly good fit when it came to remixs. The Chemical Brothers take on La Tristesse Durera was a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Only a young lad yet so I haven't seen massive jumps in gaming like some of you have, playing Legacy of Kain Blood Omen 2, I can imagine it looked incredible in 2002, the animations look nice for the time, as does Kain's stance and such.

Not used to old games but compared to Anachronox and Hitman Codename 47 from the same time, it looks a lot better, so forgive me if its only average :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

has to be GTA 3 for me. oh the time wasted playing that.

it was out for a bit, but when i started college in 97 , everyone was playing quake over the college network. that was amazing to me , as i had not seen anything like that before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

For me it was Magic Carpet in 1995.

Previous to that my experience was C64 and SNES, the most 3D experience I had was starwing with its very geometric shapes.

The my brother got a 486 PC and I was blown away, there was many games such as Command and Conquer, Doom that impressed but I think by far the best was Magic Carpet. Full 3D movement, reshapeable landscape, vast array of spells, very impressive altogether, even had multiplayer although never got to try this. game very deserving of a reboot in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

This really is a great thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

cruizer101 wrote: »

Previous to that my experience was C64 and SNES, the most 3D experience I had was starwing with its very geometric shapes.

The my brother got a 486 PC and I was blown away, there was many games such as Command and Conquer, Doom that impressed but I think by far the best was Magic Carpet. Full 3D movement, reshapeable landscape, vast array of spells, very impressive altogether, even had multiplayer although never got to try this. game very deserving of a reboot in my opinion.

Anyone remember Hi-Octane? Often considered the poor man's Wipeout but they were developed side by side, it ran on the Magic Carpet engine which is what reminded me. Used to play it a lot.

ho-1a.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had that on my first PC. It was a load of crap, magic carpet was a way better game and was a whole lot less brown and grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Shenmue was a massive game changer in terms of graphics and scale. I still play it on my dreamcast every so often and you can see just how much of an accomplishment it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had Magic Carpet on the 3DO, it was a suped up version of the PC game.
    Fantastic stuff, loved opening a volcano in the middle ofy opponents castle, he he...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone remember Hi-Octane?

Yes! I remember those games so well, they were awesome. What a great era for PC gaming.

I'm going to throw in a few more games around that time as well-

Anyone remember Indy Car Racing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAxOkCrTEdg
    (Wow, were the graphics really that primitive???)

Demolition Derby?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NDzvQ8WVkM

Colonization:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V715zRqE_nU

And of course Duke Nukem, Rise Of The Triads, etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Anyone remember a game called angel devoid... That blew me away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Street Fighter II in my own house.

In my actual house! Wow! This has to be the absolute best thing ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Quandary

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Street Fighter II in my own house.

In my actual house! Wow! This has to be the absolute best thing ever!

That was brilliant in fairness. It was my favourite arcade game and seeing it on my own tv was pretty special!

Hadoooooken!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Operation Flashpoint - After Montignac mission. Being hunted by the AI, amazed me and scared the crap out of me.

Hidden and Dangerous - The first tactical shooter.

The first mission's atmosphere still blows me away.

For the 80's kids

Ace of Aces - ZX Spectrum. My first flight sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DannyGriff

Kinect and Augmented Reality. It's amazing how fast the industry grows these days. I would like to see what happens when those 2 technologies are combined.

• Advertisement
Advertisement