Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Supermarkets in Athenry?

Options
  • 06-04-2015 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

So Oranmore has four supermarkets and Athenry has one, but it seems not for long. There's two applications for supermarkets lodged with the county council. One near the train station across from the Church which has loads of comments and appeals etc. The other one at the back of Athenry House, beside the GAA stadium and carpark. No info on that yet.

It looks like there'll be a bit of a buzz. Unlike Oranmore however, Athenry has paid parking in the town which has been awful for business by all accounts. Both supermarkets will have parking and one would be within the walls it seems. There has been some lopsided development in Athenry the last few years, dreadful footpath infrastructure, amazing amount of schools, decent broadband, ropey sewage system. I wonder will this be a catalyst in getting all the dots joined in the town and really help pull the place together. It has so much untapped potential.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Greaney wrote: »
    So Oranmore has four supermarkets and Athenry has one, but it seems not for long. There's two applications for supermarkets lodged with the county council. One near the train station across from the Church which has loads of comments and appeals etc. The other one at the back of Athenry House, beside the GAA stadium and carpark. No info on that yet.

It looks like there'll be a bit of a buzz. Unlike Oranmore however, Athenry has paid parking in the town which has been awful for business by all accounts. Both supermarkets will have parking and one would be within the walls it seems. There has been some lopsided development in Athenry the last few years, dreadful footpath infrastructure, amazing amount of schools, decent broadband, ropey sewage system. I wonder will this be a catalyst in getting all the dots joined in the town and really help pull the place together. It has so much untapped potential.
    interesting
    can you link the planning applications please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Do we know if they're Aldi, Lidl, Tesco? Or others?

Only one of them has a description so far as a discount foodstore, so i guess at least one of them is an Aldi or Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

The local talk I've heard is that the Church St. one is Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Fingers crossed for Aldi from me, would be soooo handy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Any update on this does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

It's been appealed to An Bord Pleanála by the Retail Grocery Dairy & Allied Trades Association (RGDATA) so I don't think we will see it up before the end of the year.

I cant post links but (http://www.shelflife.ie/proposed-discount-store-in-galway-faces-planning-issue/) has more.

The Co-op had applied for planning permission to move to behind the Mart (in Athenry), this would have free'd up their current location at the junction of Cross Street and Clarke Street to be re-developed. Alas they were turned down.

There will not be any developments in Athenry I'd say, till the sewage issue is dealt with

Advertisement