Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70 - Wired Input from oil tank level

Options
  • 06-04-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know - is it possible to wire an input from an external device, so that the HKC Quantum 70 will text me when it goes?

The idea is: I'm spec'ing the services for a relative's country cottage, so want an alarm (I like the HKC Quantum 70, on Altor's advice/fitment too), and also want to fit something to monitor the oil tank level so the relative will know if the level drops (something like this: http://www.oilenergymonitors.com/ie/oil-tank-monitors/apollo-ultra-sonic-oil-tank-monitor)

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I didn't notice an electronic dry contact on the unit you have attached for it to be monitored by an alarm system.

I think there is some unit on the market, the name watch dog comes to mind for some reason.

Just be mindful that you will not be able to receive texts from landlines after June 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 golu

Hi Dardania,
    If you have a mechanical level meter on the oil tank you could probably use the same solution I use to read my water meter.

I have previously tried to read the water meter using a phototransistor and a IR diode, but have not managed to get it hundred percent stable. Instead, I have now used a little more technically challenging solution but it works perfect.

The solution consists of:
    - A webcam with USB connection.
    - Two white LEDs. Used to have a constant uniform illumination of the meter.
    - A Raspberry Pi with some image processing software

From the Raspberry Pi you can then wire a signal to your HKC system.

To see the result please google: "water meter reading lundix" and follow the link to youtube. (As new user I am not allowed to give you a direct http link)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

kub wrote: »
    I didn't notice an electronic dry contact on the unit you have attached for it to be monitored by an alarm system.

I think there is some unit on the market, the name watch dog comes to mind for some reason.

Just be mindful that you will not be able to receive texts from landlines after June 30th.

Many thanks for that - I have sent an email to the vendor to see if it has a contact as I too can't see a means of getting the feedback from it. If it comes to it, I can just get a normal level switch (I just liked this one as it has a consumer friendly interface so they can keep an eye on the level, usage etc...)

For the text messages, I had heard about that issue with texts over eircom, so was spec'ing the HKC as my one has a sim card and it's own GSM interface. In fact for the rest of the house, I have emails sent to all the local fixed wireless internet providers to see if they have coverage, to even try avoid having to get eircom for broadband!

Do you know if the HKC takes a dry contact in?

golu wrote: »
    Hi Dardania,
    If you have a mechanical level meter on the oil tank you could probably use the same solution I use to read my water meter.

I have previously tried to read the water meter using a phototransistor and a IR diode, but have not managed to get it hundred percent stable. Instead, I have now used a little more technically challenging solution but it works perfect.

The solution consists of:
    - A webcam with USB connection.
    - Two white LEDs. Used to have a constant uniform illumination of the meter.
    - A Raspberry Pi with some image processing software

From the Raspberry Pi you can then wire a signal to your HKC system.

To see the result please google: "water meter reading lundix" and follow the link to youtube. (As new user I am not allowed to give you a direct http link)

Many thanks for that - that is probably a solution I'd pursue if it were my own house, but as this will be principally a holiday home, I'd be concerned about damage (as the oil is more valuable to thieves than water...)

Have you been about to wire a dry contact or similar from your raspberry pi to the HKC alarm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any alarm panel will allow you to connect a dry contact into a zone & programme that zone to react any way you want to . If you have a device giving a + or - trigger a relay could be used to the same effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

You could also look into a unit called Oil Guard
    I think they are still available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Dardania wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know - is it possible to wire an input from an external device, so that the HKC Quantum 70 will text me when it goes?

The idea is: I'm spec'ing the services for a relative's country cottage, so want an alarm (I like the HKC Quantum 70, on Altor's advice/fitment too), and also want to fit something to monitor the oil tank level so the relative will know if the level drops (something like this: http://www.oilenergymonitors.com/ie/oil-tank-monitors/apollo-ultra-sonic-oil-tank-monitor)

Thanks,

D

With the Quantum you would need to get a cable from the alarm to do this.
    If you have a local mains supply you could also do this using wire free detectors in conjunction with the oilguard.

344392.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Thats the one Altor, thank you, i knew there was a dog there somewhere.

kub wrote: »
    Thats the one Altor, thank you, i knew there was a dog there somewhere.

Yeah, seems easy enough to install too.

Perfect altor - many thanks for that. Just to sanity check, can the Quantum 70 definitely take a wired input?

I have this lurking fear that there was some restriction on wiring to the Quantum, but am hoping it was only wiring an output from it...(would be great to be able to switch on heating too with it...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

1 wired zone as long as it's not used for point ID.
    You could also add a wireless device and use the wired input of that.

Dardania wrote: »
    Perfect altor - many thanks for that. Just to sanity check, can the Quantum 70 definitely take a wired input?

I have this lurking fear that there was some restriction on wiring to the Quantum, but am hoping it was only wiring an output from it...(would be great to be able to switch on heating too with it...)

Yes it can but if getting a cable from A/B is an issue then using the wire free sensors would do the same. You would need to be able to supply the unit with 12 V so a back up power supply fitted with a back up battery will also be needed. The Quantum has no option to turn on lights or heat. On the older version of the panel you could of added a GSM-P to use the outputs on that for this purpose. You would need a 10/70 to do same or there are numerous devices that can be used to control devices in your premises.

Advertisement